A remaining FA pass rusher or the draft?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Both would be ideal. 

Epenesa 1 sack

Ed Oliver 3 sacks

Jerry Hughes 4.5 sacks

Mario Addison 5 sacks

Vernon Butler- Harrison Phillips-Star Louteleiei- Justin Zimmer- 1 sack between all of them (Star was out the year but I doubt he would have made an impact there)

This is unacceptable... Epenesa 1 sack as a 2nd rounder, he needs to be more impactful. Hughes 4.5 sacks the past 2 seasons is not even close to good enough. This has to be priority 1 right now I'd think.

Epenesa was playing like 30 pounds lighter than he did in college. He basically had to completely change the way he played and improved as the season went on. Idk how anyone could realistically expect him to lose that much bulk and just come into the league as if he was used to playing that way.

7 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Put it this way, we paid Murphy $9 million to not dress last year. So you have to believe that we could get a ton out of Clowney’s skill set which is way better than that clown (pun intended) and than our rotational starter(s) there. At worst he gets moved around the line and becomes a chess piece for Frazier to get creative with. We need to generate pressure with 4 this year if we want to win it all. Personally I prefer Dunlop,  but would be OK with Clowney especially if he could be more than a 1 year performer at a decent price ( <9 ) 

This is my thought with Clowney as well. If you can’t get anyone else, go with him. If he doesn’t work out, great, you at least tried and you can get rid of him at the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Put it this way, we paid Murphy $9 million to not dress last year. So you have to believe that we could get a ton out of Clowney’s skill set which is way better than that clown (pun intended) and than our rotational starter(s) there. At worst he gets moved around the line and becomes a chess piece for Frazier to get creative with. We need to generate pressure with 4 this year if we want to win it all. 

Here you miss the actual Clowney problem, with all  of the T. Murphy  limitations he was a team player and made what coaches ask him to do, i seriously doubt Clowney want to

6 minutes ago, poblano said:

Here you miss the actual Clowney problem, with all  of the T. Murphy  limitations he was a team player and made what coaches ask him to do, i seriously doubt Clowney want to

I see what you’re saying.

That said, if you put him on a one year prove it deal, he may have to play nice.

Just a thought.

Edited by BillsFan619

20 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I see what you’re saying.

That said, if you put him on a one year prove it deal, he may have to play nice.

Just a thought.

That's what Tennessee did

9 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

They won’t get an impact rusher at 30.  Is be shocked if they went that direction at 30. I think they are going into the season with what the currently have at DE.  

I listen to LockedOn Bills podcast and the host Joe brought up the very low percentage of impactful pass rushers picked in the end of the first round. To me this indicates teams reach and draft for need over BPA. Their is actually a higher percentage that a player picked in the third round or later might turn out to be an effective pass rusher. Interesting stuff for us to consider and remind ourselves if this happens in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m guessing there is gonna be some disappointed people here concerning a pass rusher acquisition... 

I think best hope is continued improvement from Epenesa and more pressure from Ed Oliver with Star back to eat up some blocks.  I thought that Epenesa was improving as the season wore on.  I am not sure that the DE class this year - at least who might be available at 30 or later is very full of top pass rushers.  I think they would have to pass over better prospects at other positions like CB and OL to take a DE at 30.

Edited by OldTimer1960

11 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I listen to LockedOn Bills podcast and the host Joe brought up the very low percentage of impactful pass rushers picked in the end of the first round. To me this indicates teams reach and draft for need over BPA. Their is actually a higher percentage that a player picked in the third round or later might turn out to be an effective pass rusher. Interesting stuff for us to consider and remind ourselves if this happens in the draft.

I here ya on the mid round picks thing, but as we see every year, all teams draft BPA at positions of need the vast majority of the time, strict BPA is a rare occurrence, I don’t know why folk stick to the myth of strict BPA selections being anything near the norm when it’s obvious that it is rarely the case. 

FA isn’t so easy and can be a crap shoot to fill out a roster, especially for upper level guys, being the player your trying to get is most likely to go where the biggest paycheck is, look at Watt for instance... 

As we all know there are no guarantees in player acquisition in either FA or the draft, everyone hopes for a generational talent to fall to their team but most are average to a bit above average career wise. 

40 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I here ya on the mid round picks thing, but as we see every year, all teams draft BPA at positions of need the vast majority of the time, strict BPA is a rare occurrence, I don’t know why folk stick to the myth of strict BPA selections being anything near the norm when it’s obvious that it is rarely the case. 

FA isn’t so easy and can be a crap shoot to fill out a roster, especially for upper level guys, being the player your trying to get is most likely to go where the biggest paycheck is, look at Watt for instance... 

As we all know there are no guarantees in player acquisition in either FA or the draft, everyone hopes for a generational talent to fall to their team but most are average to a bit above average career wise. 

The place teams get into trouble is reaching for need or overlooking deficiencies in players because they need that position addressed. Drafting in the first round is a BPA mixed with need. 

• Like (+1) 1

IMO, the Bills window to win the SB is now. Adding Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap will improve the pass rush from the outside and interior. The Bills can restructure some contracts to "fit" them in on 1 or 2 yr contracts. I'm hoping Beane has approached them on joining the team. I believe they would be the final two pieces needed to beat the Chiefs/TB for SB crown

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Agree that it is rarely, if ever, pure BPA as teams often have a number of players rated with similar grades.  In that case, they will opt for one of the similarly rated players at a position of greater need or importance.  I do think that to take a DE at 30, they would have to pass over players that they will have higher grades on, so I am hoping for them not to do that.  I don’t see a pass rusher who will likely be available at 30 who would really make a big difference for this team this coming season.  The Bills and others may, of course, disagree with that.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

This is my thought with Clowney as well. If you can’t get anyone else, go with him. If he doesn’t work out, great, you at least tried and you can get rid of him at the end of the season.

When healthy, Clowney can still be disruptive and help the play of others.

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m guessing there is gonna be some disappointed people here concerning a pass rusher acquisition... 

Because they won’t end up addressing it or because they’ll get someone that nobody will end up wanting/liking?

1 minute ago, BillsFan619 said:

Because they won’t end up addressing it or because they’ll get someone that nobody will end up wanting/liking?

Likely no matter who is or is not chosen it will not be thought of as the correct choice, you know how many fans can be...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Likely no matter who is or is not chosen it will not be thought of as the correct choice, you know how many fans can be...

I definitely get what you’re saying.

I just hope that they attempt to address it by landing someone. If they fail, they fail. Nobody hits it out of the park every time but at least they would have tried.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm 50/50 on all remaining free agents....cool if they do, cool if they don't. Any draft pick barring a trade up will take development. Only instant impact.....trade for Danielle Hunter....but then you gotta really crunch some serious numbers. I guess I'd prefer tje trade is they can somehow work the numbers.

I’m late to this thread, but:

Draft.

The Bills already have two elder statesmen and a bunch of money tied up in the d line.

What they need is youth and juice.

the future going forward needs to be Oliver, Epenesa, 2021 early EDGE draftee. And then in 2022, when the cap normalizes, cut Addison and draft ANOTHER youngster at edge.

• Like (+1) 1