Bills sign TE Jacob Hollister

I found this quote from the Wyoming football message board and I think this guy nails it:

https://www.wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21349

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:46 pm

They're making it extremely difficult to NOT cheer for Buffalo.

The Buffalo message board isn't crazy about this move because they don't understand it. They wanted Ertz with zero cap space instead. He's a replacement for their back up tight end and I think he's going to give Knox a challenge on passing downs. He's competition for Knox and a damn good reason for Knox to start holding onto the ball.

He's not going to fumble like Knox. He's not going to drop the ball like Knox. He does get open. Seattle used him as an H back a lot, which means Daboll can do the same thing and get a lead blocker to make the run game more effective. He can fake the run block with him and run wheel routes to him.

I have reasons to believe Hollister might take off. Wilson didn't have a lot of receiving options or a very good line. Josh does. The defense has to cover Diggs, Davis, Sanders, Beasley, Knox, the back out of the backfield and account for Josh running the ball. Hollister is going to be the 4th or 5th priority for the defense. He's going to thrive in those conditions.

Josh already feels comfortable looking for Hollister when plays break down and Hollister knows what Josh likes to do when that happens. I think this chemistry is over-looked.

I think Jacob has the ability to turn into a security blanket for Josh like Novacek was for Troy Aikman.

Damn this is exciting. I might have to buy some Buffalo gear.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Diggs is a threat to get deep.......but not in the sense that few CB1's can turn and run with him or match up with his catch radius.

And remember that Minnesota offense was heavy play action.    This offense is basically all run from the shotgun........you don't get the same schematic boost in terms of the deep ball game.  

In my experience you can always rationalize why something might work on paper........"of course Trent Edwards can run a no huddle with studs like Owens and Evans and Lynch in the backfield".........extreme example........but generally speaking........when an element of the plan looks very flawed it plays out flawed. 

1) And I absolutely agree with your point that the deep ball is not a strong suit for Josh.........but rather than saying "well let's just focus even more on what he CAN do"  I think with an arm talent like his you want to take him to the next level.    Give him a guy who can get deep and provide a lot of margin for error with size or an extra gear.    I don't think Brown or Diggs provide the extra gear or the catch radius deep.   They are great for someone who can drop the deep ball in a bucket like Russell Wilson but I think Allen needs more room for error.

Allen's mediocre work with the deep ball has certainly been fully exposed though...........and so we could already expect teams to be jumping his short to intermediate throws more in 2021.    He shouldn't fall off the cliff like other limitation-exposed QB's of Bills past or anything because he can make some intermediate throws that are indefensible at times.......like the TD pass to Diggs late in the Arizona game.......which I think is part of @dave mcbride's defense of the Sanders signing.

3) I like Hollister.   He's probably not a difference maker against the likes of KC, Tampa, Indy, Baltimore perhaps but I think he'll be effective against teams that won't be as capable of executing the "Bills defense" that we will be seeing.

Agree on the DL rotation.   Really did not like the Addison re-structure.   Butler I could understand a little because 340 pounders who have shown they can get to the QB are rare and will warrant more development time(which he didn't get at DT1T).   But even so I would have been fine with them cutting bait there as well.    They need someone on the edge who can actually finish at the QB.    I think there is a line between what qualifies as "pressures" and what qualifies as plays that really scare a QB into making a bad decision........kinda' like shots on goal versus scoring chances in hockey.   Bills get plenty of SOG but plays where they are legitimately threatening the QB to the point where ball safety is a concern are lacking.

I think both you and @Hapless Bills Fan have made excellent posts, but I think you’re missing something about Allen’s deep ball. Speed of receivers isn’t really the issue; in pads Diggs plays well above his combine speed and Brown has always been good at getting to deep balls. The issue in my view is that his arm is so strong that he has simply never trained himself to put air under it. You say Wilson can drop it in a bucket, but it’s not like he’s any more accurate than Allen. He just hangs his fly ball up there longer so that the receiver can adjust and go get it. The low trajectory and velocity  of allen’s bombs make that impossible, so it has to be pinpoint. Matt Barkley vs the Jets in 2018 and vs Miami in this year’s finale was hitting deep throws with regularity because his rainbows are much easier to adjust to assuming the receiver gets separation. Same with Orton and Sammy Watkins. Allen basically needs to add the long fly ball to his repertoire and stop relying, Giancarlo Stanton-like, on the line drive home run.

Edited by dave mcbride

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think both you and @Hapless Bills Fan have made excellent posts, but I think you’re missing something about Allen’s deep ball. Speed of receivers isn’t really the issue; in pads Diggs plays well above his combine speed and Brown has always been good at getting to deep balls. The issue in my view is that his arm is so strong that he has simply never trained himself to put air under it. You say Wilson can drop it in a bucket, but it’s not like he’s any more accurate than Allen. He just hangs his fly ball up their longer so that the receiver can adjust and go get it. The low trajectory and velocity  of allen’s bombs make that impossible, so it has to be pinpoint. Matt Barkley vs the Jets in 2018 and vs Miami in this year’s finale was hitting deep throws with regularity because his rainbows are much easier to adjust to assuming the receiver gets separation. Same with Orton and Sammy Watkins. Allen basically needs to add the long fly ball to his repertoire and stop relying, Giancarlo Stanton-like, on the line drive home run.

No question the flat throws are his biggest issue taming the deep ball.

Allen and Palmer talked publicly late last season about how they still had a lot of room for improvement and I am assuming it's improving his deep ball touch and accuracy.  

He's gotta' make that jump the same way that LeBron had to learn to shoot consistently from 3.   Not having to take the ball to the rim every possession took a toll off of James'  body and becoming great at the deep ball can minimize the punishment that Allen will have to take to put the ball into the end zone consistently.

Allen has the talent so there is no reason to think he can't.......he just never had to put air under the ball to push it as far as his HS and college WR's could get it.   Not having that bucket drop ball is not something he is going to want to live without.   Assuming he is ready to make a notable jump........and I expect him to........it is a perfect time in his career to have a deep threat that can increase his margin for error.    

• Like (+1) 1

Good  thread contributions . Good dialogue. 
Horizontal vs vertical.
 Whether redundant or not . Bills have some excellent WRs who really show up week in week out.
Davis is up and coming and offers another threat.
need to add something more at RB. But Daboll and Allen do need to use the RBs as receivers more often than last season

I think Hollister and Allen will get along just fine. Lets hope Daboll feels the same and makes good use of our new Bill

On 3/20/2021 at 12:41 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem with the Bills WR corps,  as I see it,  is precisely what people call it's great strength........that they have 3 guys that excel in the same areas.......specifically snapping off short to intermediate routes.   Davis has more potential in contested situations down field but I'm not expecting him to be enough to change the way defenses attack the Bills.

What they have at WR x and 0 wise is a lot like having two RB's of the same speed and quickness that can't get to the edge.........it helps the defense gameplan and focus their energy on what works when knowing that they don't have to defend the entire field.   

Traditionally there are two ways to naturally free up your outside WR's so defenses don't squat on their routes:

1) Have one great deep ball WR that defenses fear enough to keep the safeties backed off.    Speed scares defenses.   Big and fast even more.

2) Or have a great seam stretching TE who can draw the safeties to the middle of the field.

Ideally you are like the Chiefs and have both.

If the Bills want to move the ball throwing it 8-12 yards in the air all day to 3 dudes who excel at that.........defenses will gladly take their chances with that as opposed to getting beaten over the top. 

I think a lot of people look at Diggs’ combine 40 time and think that he isn’t fast enough. I personally think that’s ridiculous given that he is always one of the fastest players on an actual football field and gets behind guys routinely. I mean, the guy averaged 17.9 ypc on 63 catches (with a long only of 66, so the stats aren’t skewed) in 2019.  And in fact, in 2016, he had the fastest measured time in the league with the ball in his hands: https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Stefon-Diggs-fastest-player-in-NFL-Minnesota-Vikings-48715901/. Point is, he is a LOT faster than you are giving him credit for. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think a lot of people look at Diggs’ combine 40 time and think that he isn’t fast enough. I personally think that’s ridiculous given that he is always one of the fastest players on an actual football field and gets behind guys routinely. I mean, the guy averaged 17.9 ypc on 63 catches (with a long only of 66, so the stats aren’t skewed) in 2019.  And in fact, in 2016, he had the fastest measured time in the league with the ball in his hands: https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Stefon-Diggs-fastest-player-in-NFL-Minnesota-Vikings-48715901/. Point is, he is a LOT faster than you are giving him credit for. 

Yeah, the "Diggs isn't fast" angle is one I truly don't understand. Sanders is still explosive off the line, and still fast. Not John Brown fast but though he excels against zone, he can still toast guys on man coverage. Beasley is extremely quick, perfect slot guy. We don't need a Tyreek Hill. I don't even think we need a TE after Hollister, who is basically Lee Smith+ (not as good a blocker, obviously, but still good at it and can do other things, too. I expect an improvement from Knox. My biggest want (and it isn't a need) on offense is a receiving back like James White, Aaron Jones or Alvin Kamara. And an upgrade at either guard position, while I'm at it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I am aware of all of the speed #'s for Diggs.........and yet he isn't a great deep ball producer in his career,  he isn't a great YAC producer and he's a low ypr receiver(with the exception of the aforementioned 2019).  

All of those things contradict his "speed" numbers. 

His 2018 was one of the strangest 100 catch seasons ever.........he BARELY reached 1,000 yards with a minuscule 10.0 yards per reception average. 

As a baseball fan you would understand the analogy...........but singles hitters Wade Boggs and Ichiro Suzuki were considered the best BP HR hitters on their teams........and yet hit very few in actual games.

They were so good at hitting for average that it wasn't deemed worthwhile to detract from that part of their game.

That is how I see Diggs.     His game is short and intermediate domination.  

I've kicked around the idea in this thread that maybe Sanders allows the Bills to use Diggs deep more often.........but Diggs is better at what Sanders would be asked to do so it's not necessarily a net gain.

IMO the notion that having 3 receivers who are all best in the short game is one of those ideas that doesn't translate well to the field.    I do believe in the "basketball team" formula of building a WR corps.   It is best to have players with different skills that complement each other.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am aware of all of the speed #'s for Diggs.........and yet he isn't a great deep ball producer in his career,  he isn't a great YAC producer and he's a low ypr receiver(with the exception of the aforementioned 2019).  

His 2018 was one of the strangest 100 catch seasons ever.........he BARELY reached 1,000 yards with a minuscule 10.0 yards per reception average. 

As a baseball fan you would understand the analogy...........but singles hitters Wade Boggs and Ichiro Suzuki were considered the best BP HR hitters on their teams........and yet hit very few in actual games.

They were so good at hitting for average that it wasn't deemed worthwhile to detract from that part of their game.

I've kicked around the idea in this thread that maybe Sanders allows the Bills to use Diggs deep more often.........but Diggs is better at what Sanders would be asked to do so it's not necessarily a net gain.

IMO the notion that having 3 receivers who are all best in the short game is one of those ideas that doesn't translate well to the field.    I do believe in the "basketball team" formula of building a WR corps.   It is best to have players with different skills that complement each other.   

Being negative about Diggs in a Jacob Hollister thread is quite the new twist.  Congrats.  What’s next?  The reasons why Josh Allen sucks in a thread about a punter?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Agree about combine times.   For one thing, guys who run track and have trained all their lives to run fast in "pajamas" can put up eye popping times (like Marquise Goodwin's 4.27), because their technique is optimized.  They may or may not have that speed in pads and cleats.

The premise of Don Beebe's "House of Speed" is that athletes can get faster with the right training.  Now if you're a slug, it might only make you a fast slug, but if you're already running a 4.4x 40, it might give you a 4.3x 40 - and you just might be faster in pads and cleats than a guy with a lower 40 time. 

Diggs posted clips last off season that showed him doing speed-building training.  It's not unreasonable to think he's a bit faster than that 4.46 40 time now, especially with cleats and pads on.

I think there are a couple things at play and some of this goes back to points made by @BADOLBILZ in a post upthread

1) Both Diggs and Sanders (if it's true "speed doesn't leave") are fast enough to threaten to break deep against most corners. 

2) They're not as fast as the league's premier deep threats like Tyreek Hill

3) The league's premier fast corners (or a corner with uncalled defensive holding) can stay with them

and

4) I think it's true that they don't have that "extra gear" to adjust to a ball that's thrown a little long, that the league's premier "deep ball guys" can turn on.

5) They do have that "physicality" and ball tracking ability to adjust and contest a ball that's thrown a bit short

The thing is, there are only a few unicorns in the league who can torch the best corners, track the ball well in the air, AND have an extra gear for that deeper throw.  Now throw in a guy who can run the rest of the route tree well and get open, and the number drops more.  That's the problem with a "one note Johnny" like fast Foster - sooner or later it gets known that when he's on the field, they're going deep, just as it got known of McKenzie that when he's on the field, it's gonna be that Jet Sweep gadget.  Then either the guys develop a wider play vocabulary, or their effectiveness drops.

I'd love to see the Bills grab a guy who is a true burner-speed deep threat  like Hill, but Beane has a point that they're "Unicorns".  The Unicorns are also difficult to sort (in the draft) from the Pajama guys, and I used to wince-o-matic when every year Nix then Whaley were passing up better football players in favor of the "Next Flash".  There's something to be said for getting our hands on the best proven football players that we can.

It'll be interesting to see which way they go in the draft, but I sort of have the impression that Daboll is about ready to stage a "Peasants Revolt" if we don't use a top pick on offense - remember his "we only have 1 first round pick on this side of the ball" presser?  And Beane may stand ready to tell him "you certainly are revolting, stop smoking cigars and Go Shower" while he drafts in a different direction.  Time will tell.

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My point is that Diggs can be that guy, but the Vikings treated him just like they treated Percy Harvin - get the ball in his hands a high percentage of the time and let him use his top end speed with the ball in his hands to blow past people. It leads to 10-ypc averages, just like it did for Harvin despite the fact that Harvin was clearly one of the fastest players with pads on in the entire league. Christ, Tyreek Hill had a 9.7 ypc average on 61 catches (73.5 percent catch rate) in 2016, and that low number wasn't because he wasn't fast. In 2019, the Vikings went in a different direction given the offensive design and their use of Thelen, and Diggs did a lot more X receiver stuff. Point is, he's fully capable of being the speed guy, but because he's so good at everything he's going to get a lot of quick hitters to move the chains with ease.  Anyway, he is fast. His game speed with the ball in his hands proves it. Don't knock 17.9 as a one-off either; Tyreek Hill has never averaged that in his career. It's a sensational number. 

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree about combine times.   For one thing, guys who run track and have trained all their lives to run fast in "pajamas" can put up eye popping times (like Marquise Goodwin's 4.27), because their technique is optimized.  They may or may not have that speed in pads and cleats.

The premise of Don Beebe's "House of Speed" is that athletes can get faster with the right training.  Now if you're a slug, it might only make you a fast slug, but if you're already running a 4.4x 40, it might give you a 4.3x 40 - and you just might be faster in pads and cleats than a guy with a lower 40 time. 

Diggs posted clips last off season that showed him doing speed-building training.  It's not unreasonable to think he's a bit faster than that 4.46 40 time now, especially with cleats and pads on.

I think there are a couple things at play and some of this goes back to points made by @BADOLBILZ in a post upthread

1) Both Diggs and Sanders (if it's true "speed doesn't leave") are fast enough to threaten to break deep against most corners. 

2) They're not as fast as the league's premier deep threats like Tyreek Hill

3) The league's premier fast corners (or a corner with uncalled defensive holding) can stay with them

and

4) I think it's true that they don't have that "extra gear" to adjust to a ball that's thrown a little long, that the league's premier "deep ball guys" can turn on.

5) They do have that "physicality" and ball tracking ability to adjust and contest a ball that's thrown a bit short

The thing is, there are only a few unicorns in the league who can torch the best corners, track the ball well in the air, AND have an extra gear for that deeper throw.  Now throw in a guy who can run the rest of the route tree well and get open, and the number drops more.  That's the problem with a "one note Johnny" like fast Foster - sooner or later it gets known that when he's on the field, they're going deep, just as it got known of McKenzie that when he's on the field, it's gonna be that Jet Sweep gadget.  Then either the guys develop a wider play vocabulary, or their effectiveness drops.

I'd love to see the Bills grab a guy who is a true burner-speed deep threat  like Hill, but Beane has a point that they're "Unicorns".  The Unicorns are also difficult to sort (in the draft) from the Pajama guys, and I used to wince-o-matic when every year Nix then Whaley were passing up better football players in favor of the "Next Flash".  There's something to be said for getting our hands on the best proven football players that we can.

It'll be interesting to see which way they go in the draft, but I sort of have the impression that Daboll is about ready to stage a "Peasants Revolt" if we don't use a top pick on offense - remember his "we only have 1 first round pick on this side of the ball" presser?  And Beane may stand ready to tell him "you certainly are revolting, stop smoking cigars and Go Shower" while he drafts in a different direction.  Time will tell.

All good, but no one can adjust to Allen's 60 mph flat-trajectory bombs if they're a little off target, even Robert Foster (who didn't catch a single one in 2019). Bob Hayes couldn't have adjusted. Just looked this up: Foster had an unbelievably low 16.7 percent catch rate in 2019!

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we actually agree more than not here, but a few counter points:

As far as 2018,there's a point to be made that what the OC schemes up makes a difference.  John DeFilippo proved not "All That" as an OC.  I didn't watch many Vikes games in 2018, but to your point about "not a great YAC" receiver - in 2018 almost 50% of Diggs yards were YAC. 

That implies to me that Diggs 2018 numbers say a lot more about how he was being used in DeFilippo's offense, than about his speed.  It also counters your point about him not being a great YAC producer.  If you want to use a year's numbers to argue that a WR isn't a great deep ball producer, you have to acknowledge when the same year's numbers show bountiful YAC, right?

If your point is that no right-thinking OC wants to take away from Digg's exquisite route running skills to just send him deep all the time, I agree.  My point is that he can run a mixture of routes, that possibly having another guy like Sanders with exquisite route running skills will "Free Diggs!" to go deep more often, and that the threat to go deep is part of what makes him an effective short-to-intermediate guy.

It seems to me that at times, one of Daboll's responses to games where our OL struggled to protect long enough for deep routes was to pull Diggs off the deeper routes and play him underneath alongside Beasley.  I'm thinking about the halftime adjustments in the Pittsburgh game in particular.

It actually sounds like we're in agreement more than not.  That's exactly what I think and bringing me down to the next point...

This is a valid point, but to the counter-point - if an offense has "specialists" to the point that opposing defenses can "pigeonhole" them, it also enables more effective defense, right?  That was the problem with Foster, he showed up on the field and opponents were "Oh, he's gonna go deep, PI him if you must but don't let him past you".  With McKenzie "Oh, it's that Jet Sweep again", and when they tried using him on slants and crossers it didn't quite work out.

The thing that makes Tyreek Hill such a problem is that he can be used in the screen game and run regular routes, then break ankles all the way down the field.

So sure, having guys who each have different peak skills is great, but having guys who are multiple also loosens and opens the defense in a way having players with complementary skills (but gaps in other parts of their game) doesn't.

IMO the key point is that Diggs does have the abilities (speed, ball tracking skills, physicality) to be effective in the deep game.  You're absolutely correct that it would be a loss to dedicate him to that part of the route tree family, but he can contribute there.  And I think Sanders may also, more than 2020 let him show.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

All good, but no one can adjust to Allen's 60 mph flat-trajectory bombs if they're a little off target, even Robert Foster (who didn't catch a single one in 2019). Bob Hayes couldn't have adjusted. Just looked this up: Foster had an unbelievably low 16.7 percent catch rate in 2019!

Fair point.  The evolution of Allen's long ball is kind of a different issue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You mean while his QB is freaking Kirk Cousins? No *****.