Bills sign TE Jacob Hollister

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

How do you figure that?

Eagles are in cap trouble and may now have to release Ertz instead of getting something for him.

The Eagles really didn’t have any leverage with this trade.

If beane didn’t like the price they were asking, the Bills would move on. Which is precisely what happened by the looks of it.

Right, and now we've struck out on Gronk, Rudolph and Ertz.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Pretty sure that's exactly what's going on.... understand they have to pay Josh, but everyone else is expendable, IMO.... so go for it. 

Since KC has paid Mahomes, the cap hit in 2020 was 5.3 million and now 7.4 million.  I don't think Allen deserves an extension before this year, but its possible to have cheaper cap hits and still get paid.

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Meh. I hope they are still monitoring the Ertz situation or have a guy they like in the draft.

the Buffalo Bills hate good TEs. Have we ever had a top 5 TE besides Lonnie Johnson? 

Lonnine Friggin' getting laid out is still a top play, in my mind... 🤣  :beer:

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

As Joe Marino pointed out in Twitter, the best chance the Bills have at significantly improving is for their young, highly drafted players to take a leap.

We need more D-line production? Ed Oliver and AJ Epenesa could solve that.

We need better run game production? Cody Ford and Moss and Singletary improving could sure give us a boost.

More passing game production? Gabriel Davis and Dawson Knox progressing will certainly add to the arsenal.

I’d like to see some more moves made, too. But at the end of the day, the Bills were 13-3 against a very tough schedule last year, and they have young players at key positions whose progression could significantly improve the team as a whole. With the money they had to spend this year, I’m just not sure what huge difference makers they realistically could’ve afforded that would push them ahead of the Chiefs.

We need our young, premium draft pick players to progress. Oliver, Epenesa, and Edmunds having breakout years alone could be the difference.

Post of the year candidate right here.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

As Joe Marino pointed out in Twitter, the best chance the Bills have at significantly improving is for their young, highly drafted players to take a leap.

We need better run game production? Cody Ford and Moss and Singletary improving could sure give us a boost.

More passing game production? Gabriel Davis and Dawson Knox progressing will certainly add to the arsenal.

I’d like to see some more moves made, too. But at the end of the day, the Bills were 13-3 against a very tough schedule last year, and they have young players at key positions whose progression could significantly improve the team as a whole. With the money they had to spend this year, I’m just not sure what huge difference makers they realistically could’ve afforded that would push them ahead of the Chiefs.

We need our young, premium draft pick players to progress. Oliver, Epenesa, and Edmunds having breakout years alone could be the difference.

The rare poster whose name matches his posts...  :beer:

Also, if this is *actually* Logic, loved the last record.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I mean, plus a successful draft class this year too but I think you nailed it.

Believe you me, I would love it to have the cream of the crop every year in top end talent signing with us for pennies, but that's just not how the game goes. 

The teams with staying power are the ones who are able to pick up reasonably priced journeymen to fill immediate gaps, and then hit on your draft picks. If you're telling me that we have gotten so good that our offseasons are about sealing off glaring weaknesses in the short term, and using our draft as our way to get breakout players, I would say "it's about time"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Right, and now we've struck out on Gronk, Rudolph and Ertz.

1. Paying 10-12 mil to gronk would have been a disaster.

2. 2 years 16 mil for Rudolph in which he signed is just insane 

3. Eagles probably were demanding way too much for a 30 year old player in which is coming off an injury riddled season.

Beane had a price that he was willing to pay for one of those players, and it didn’t fit.

You can’t get into bidding wars for average, aging tight ends.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The "lack of cap space" to bring sign any upper tier guys is an excuse.... as we've seen the cap is pliable. Beane is just opting not to go that route yet.

Completely agree.  Beane is trying to "smarter" than the other top teams in the league.  Don't see it playing out favorably.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Maybe even with a slight trade up if necessary.....no more than 10 slots or so.

The great thing about Friermuth is that he is a Y tight end and can come in and play day 1. I think hes one of if not the best blocking TE's in College.

This isn't to say he's only a blocker, he's not. He can't catch and move.  Similar prospect to a Hockenson. 

His nickname is baby Gronk (yes I know like the dozen guys before him). 

But he really does play like Gronk

Edited by DJB

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I get that, but that's what needs to happen if they don't make significant moves to improve the roster..... it's not like they don't have a choice. They could easily restructure contracts,

cut players who underperformed last season to sign better players.... but to this point they haven't done that(outside of Jefferson). 

There were several edge rushers available that would've def moved the needle a bit instead of hanging onto a washed ex Panther who's marginal at best at this point. 

I dont disagree they need their younger players to improve... that doesn't mean you just plug holes with marginal FAs. You can count on those young players to improve while adding a dynamic piece of two via FA. They are choosing to go conservative. At least to this point. 

We knew that in the 2021 off season it was going to be tough for the Bills to add premium talent in UFA.

Hell, we all thought it was going to be IMPOSSIBLE for the Bills to bring back any of their own FA's, never mind go out and get a few stars.

The Bills already have the young talent on hand to make significant improvement at most positions.

Trust the process. 😁

The "lack of cap space" to bring sign any upper tier guys is an excuse.... as we've seen the cap is pliable. Beane is just opting not to go that route yet.

It's difficult to do BOTH when it comes to keeping your own top talent and bringing in top talent, no matter what your cap situation is. Can't do both.

The Bills brass decided to keep their own top talent.

Only time will tell if that strategy works out.

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You have no idea why I want him. 

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Beane wanted ertz......do you want him in the front office?  What else have I said that makes you not want me in the FO?  Let me guess, you have no idea, you just wanted to insult me?  

Lol to insult you?? Don’t flatter yourself Buddy. And yes I do know what I’m talking about since I’ve been watching football for a long time and if Beane really wanted ertz he’d already be on the team. And you want him because you think it’ll solve our TE problem and you think he’d be one of the pieces to help us get in the SB next year in which that’s quite a bit to bank on especially when we still need a true number 1 pass rusher to help the defense and a RB to take the pressure off of Allen’s shoulders more than a 30 year old TE coming off a career low and an injury too boot. But yes I don’t know what I’m talking about 🤣😂

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

I kinda doubt it. This feels like more of a replacement for DiMarco. We'll see I guess...

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think this guy nails it.  I jumped to the conclusion that he was a kroft replacement but this might be more about improving the running game Especially the H-back stuff.  And for the record Hollister is a much better receiver then Smith was.  I've seen him make some great catches over the years.

He has 1 carry in his NFL career for 5 yards.

• Haha (+1) 2

Every team in the league has "young talent".

The bar has been raised. It's about winning a SB now. The KC beat downs demonstrated the roster isn't good enough... they haven't really done much to change that.

But yea, maybe AJE, Ford, Singletary, Knox, Moss, etc improve dramatically and they hit on some key draft picks to bring the team a SB, but I think it's a lot to ask.

That's a good take as well.

The Bills might not be done in terms of adding a big player. They have surprised us in the past.

Something might get done after the draft for all we know.

10 minutes ago, DJB said:

The great thing about Friermuth is that he is a Y tight end and can come in and play day 1. I think hes one of if not the best blocking TE's in College.

This isn't to say he's only a blocker, he's not. He can't catch and move.  Similar prospect to a Hockenson. 

His nickname is baby Gronk (yes I know like the dozen guys before him). 

But he really does play like Gronk

Freiermuth was a beast as a blocker and a receiver in 2019.

He might be on the Bills radar, so who knows.

• Like (+1) 1