Bills sign TE Jacob Hollister

So it sounds like this guy has value as an H-back/FB. Something this offense sorely missed last year. It also sounds like he can add some depth behind Dawson Knox. Wouldn’t rule out Tommy Sweeney and I wouldn’t rule out a 4th TE. I’m hopeful that we can run some bigger sets next year, depth at TE is a must.

The Bills can field FOUR outstanding WR's that can get open on EVERY play.

The TE position is needed to catch a few passes, while providing solid blocking.

I am in the minority, as I believe in Knox's development as a real solid No. 1 TE (which is all the Bills need).

What I was worried about is the depth at the position. Hollister can be a pretty good No. 2 guy as he is a good blocker and that is all the Bills need.

But if you guys still want Ertz, I won't complain, but if the Bills are done at TE, I won't complain either.

The Bills can win the SB with what they have in the TE room now. But I might be in the minority in believing this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Seems to me that Hollister is enough so that Buffalo won't feel like they need to reach on a TE in the draft or give up a priority draft pick for a TE but not so good or expensive that it would prevent us from grabbing one if the price is right.

I.e. Ertz for a 3rd round pick? No, but Ertz for a Day 3 pick or if Ertz gets cut? Sure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, eball said:

All of you guys worrying about the TE position crack me up.  Knox will take an Allen-like jump this year.

I hope you’re right. I’m a Knox believer. I’m a big fan of his.

The only problem is that hope is not a strategy.

If Knox DOESN’T take a third year leap (or, say, gets injured), then the cupboard is pretty bare at tight end at a time when the Bills championship window is wide open.

I just want more talent added to the room.

I also think that adding an effective in-line TE would free Knox up to be more of a move TE/matchup nightmare chess piece.

Knox can break out AND the Bills can add talent at the position. It’s not “either/or”, it’s “Yes, and...”.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Might be onto the draft .....TE Day 2 option 

Sure seems it. It would be nice to have added a piece or 2 to try to get over the top...

Not hating on sanders either btw. Just question how much he moves the needle. We didn't punt much last year and perhaps he could have extended a few more drives, like 1 to 2 a game, but I'm not sure how much that improves us. Not being negative, just feels like swapping out marginal pieces thus far

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Three of the 4 are an upgrade to their position. 

Also, make no mistake that Starting LB, Starting RT and (likely starting G) swing Interior OL was addressed in free agency. Just because they signed during the week leading up to it shouldn't take them out of the mix.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Signing Hollister does not preclude obtaining Ertz or some other high-skill TE.  Lots of FAs don't make the final cut.  That said, if Hollister can fill a role on the team, I wish him all the best.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Meh. I hope they are still monitoring the Ertz situation or have a guy they like in the draft.

the Buffalo Bills hate good TEs. Have we ever had a top 5 TE besides Lonnie Johnson? 

Paul Costa?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Bills can field FOUR outstanding WR's that can get open on EVERY play.

The TE position is needed to catch a few passes, while providing solid blocking.

I am in the minority, as I believe in Knox's development as a real solid No. 1 TE (which is all the Bills need).

What I was worried about is the depth at the position. Hollister can be a pretty good No. 2 guy as he is a good blocker and that is all the Bills need.

But if you guys still want Ertz, I won't complain, but if the Bills are done at TE, I won't complain either.

The Bills can win the SB with what they have in the TE room now. But I might be in the minority in believing this.

How many targets would another TE even get in this offense? Especially if Davis continues to develop

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Signing Hollister does not preclude obtaining Ertz or some other high-skill TE.  Lots of FAs don't make the final cut.  That said, if Hollister can fill a role on the team, I wish him all the best.

Paul Costa?

I had no idea who that was so I looked up his stats. Guy had 700+ yards receiving (impressive!) in 1967!!!  Man, get a TE weapon! 

1 minute ago, billsfan_34 said:

Problem is, Knox isn’t a 1a and Hollister isn’t a 1b. 

When your WR group is very strong, you don't necessarily need a prime time TE.

Knox can continue to develop into a solid starter, which is all the Bills need.

A good blocking No. 2 TE that can catch a few passes is also a need and the Bills think they have that now in Hollister.

I won't argue if you guys still want a dynamic player like Ertz, but the Bills WR position is so good, they really don't need Ertz. 

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

No I saw him play and he definitely lost some steps. Granted yes Wentz lost confidence in himself and he regressed badly but that still doesn’t change the fact that Ertz is starting to decline himself and that he was the third best TE on that Eagles team last year. You guys want him because he’s a big name and because of what he did 3 years ago. I’m glad your not in charge of the Front office 

You have no idea why I want him. 

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

Beane wanted ertz......do you want him in the front office?  What else have I said that makes you not want me in the FO?  Let me guess, you have no idea, you just wanted to insult me?  

59 minutes ago, Logic said:

Allen, Gentry, Hollister.

It’s official: We’re re-creating the 2016 Wyoming Cowboys.

I’m guessing our old BBMB friend WYO is a big fan of the move!

I don't ever see the Allen Gentry connection working at this level.  Allen Hollister?  It could certainly happen.  Hollister is a stud.

3 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

How many targets would another TE even get in this offense? Especially if Davis continues to develop

Could be a monster in the red zone. Besides David, we have small receivers and you saw in the playoffs teams can get physical with them. A big target in the middle of the field would have helped a ton.

not giving up on Knox completely but this is by far the worst group (rbs is close) on the team.