Bills sign TE Jacob Hollister

Just now, krf139 said:

Everyone claimed Josh had no talent around him at Wyoming to justify his meh college stats, so nobody should be happy to bring in anyone he played with.  

That was Allen's junior year that he had nothing around him, and that's being nice to the definition of nothing. It looked like a peewee football team against college athletes.

They actually had quite a bit of talent his sophomore year when he had Gentry, Hollister, Hill, and 1 or 2 NFL linemen around him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

So I’m sure this means no more Ertz to Buffalo. Philly was probably asking to high of a draft pick and they weren’t budging off what they wanted

Not exactly. Hollister is more of a attached TE and will be more a Lee Smith replacement. Bills still need a receiving TE to push Knox

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

Looks like a high-motor lunch-pailer with a mean streak. 

usa_today_11291544.0.jpg

He looks like every 80's teen "bad guy" like he is going to challenge someone to a race down Devils Canyon for the rights to the ski resort.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

So I’m sure this means no more Ertz to Buffalo. Philly was probably asking to high of a draft pick and they weren’t budging off what they wanted

Third round apparently... I’m glad they didn’t give that up

34 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

he has made some plays but not exactly the upgrade most were hoping for

Nothing more then a Lee Smith replacement (  IMO ) I don’t think this means that Ertz is out of the picture 

Hollister looks like a depth signing who will help in the run blocking.  He likely was not brought in to stretch the field or be an athletic receiving option.   I haven't watched him play enough to know if he's a good run blocker, but it was noted up above in this thread.  I have seen him make a few catches, but those make the highlight package.  I have no issue with this signing in and of itself, but if they were planning on adding a receiving threat at TE and this was the best they could do, I would be disappointed.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Welcome to Bills free agency 2021

- Punter

- WR4

- Back up QB

- Blocking TE

Well jeez, when you put it that way... 🙂 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, msw2112 said:

Hollister looks like a depth signing who will help in the run blocking.  He likely was not brought in to stretch the field or be an athletic receiving option.   I haven't watched him play enough to know if he's a good run blocker, but it was noted up above in this thread.  I have seen him make a few catches, but those make the highlight package.  I have no issue with this signing in and of itself, but if they were planning on adding a receiving threat at TE and this was the best they could do, I would be disappointed.

While Knox hasn't had the production many of us have hoped for, but I do think he does a really good job taking the top off of defenses in order to open up the passing game for our wr's. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This is Lee Smith or Reggie Gilliam replacement not Knox. At least I hope. Played in TE friendly systems and not produced as a receiving threat. I almost see him more as a Patrick Dimarco or how they used Gilliam this year. 

Still need to get Ertz...

Hollister does not deserve to be put in the Lee Smith category as a TE receiving threat.  He was the #3 WR on Seattle's 4000+ yd passing offense in 2019, 3.7 receptions/game, 31.7 ypg.  He ain't Kittle, Waller, Hunter, or Kelce but when did Pat DiMarco, Reggie Gilliam, or (fergoshsakes) Lee Smith do that in the NFL?

Hollister's snaps fell off the first part of 2020 after Seattle signed Greg Olsen, but he still made some catches when his snap count increased at the end of the season.

Decent depth signing and really not a Lee Smith replacement I think - I don't think he can block anything near Lee Smith's abilities

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Puke. At best he looks like a guy that would replace Gilliam. I watched him play. He is not even as good as Kroft. 

Is this team any better than last year at this point in free agency? No pass rusher.  Older but less injury risk at WR. Otherwise the same team plus Star that made a deep playoff run. Kudos to Beane for keeping the Oline intact. Now he just needs to find a couple front 7 edge defenders that will contribute right away and a long term replacement for Star at NT.

forgot about Gilliam.  I like that guy.  He flashed a few times this season. 

The edge defender that can contribute right away is the big ?? for me.  I don't think you get a day 1 contributor through the draft at 30, so we have to get one in FA or hope AJ improves.