Bills sign TE Jacob Hollister

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He def moves the needle towards a SB victory....

Wouldn’t be a thread about a depth signing if you didn’t complain that they didn’t sign a Pro Bowler to compete for the last spot on the roster... 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

he has made some plays but not exactly the upgrade most were hoping for

Good low-cost signing IMO.  He was one of the downgrades between 2016 and 2017 for Allen (Hollister and Gentry both left for the NFL)

He started out playing primarily ST for Seattle, and still does, but the last couple years he's been seeing a lot of offensive snaps.  Greg Olsen bumped him down the depth chart last season, but he saw playing time when Olsen went on IR.  25 receptions on 40 targets for 209 yds last year, 41 receptions on 59 targets with more playing time the previous year.  Low drops - 1 drop 2019, 2 drops in 2020.  Third in receptions on the Seahawks in 2019.

Seahawks FA scouting report says this:

Hollister has proven he can play a number of roles in Seattle's offense. In addition to seeing action as an inline tight end, the Seahawks motioned him into the backfield as a pseudo fullback for 29 snaps while working him from the slot for 144 of his 408 offensive snaps per Pro Football Focus.

Assuming Waldron uses tight ends similar to his apprentice Sean McVay, he will be aiming to deploy players such as Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett who are more capable inline blockers and also have the ability to move around the formation. While Hollister checks off the second box with his savvy route running skills, blocking defensive ends off the edge has never been his strong suit and asking him to play extensive snaps in that capacity wouldn't be maximizing his skill set.

They don't seem to think much of him as a blocker, in pass protection anyway.

I would rather have had Everett, but he also went for $7 million.  Any word what Hollister's contract is?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I suggest everyone read this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/.amp/gm-report/seahawks-2021-free-agent-primer-jacob-hollister?__twitter_impression=true

*Edit: I see Hapless already quoted this article. I still suggest giving the whole thing a read.

Hollister is a move tight end/H-back type. Can play all over the formation. He could be Kroft’s replacement, but he also very well may be GILLIAM’S replacement.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hey man...I wouldn’t say many but  DE, CB and TE would be nice 

FA isn't done, we don't need a superstar and the draft still hasn't happened. I'd also strongly argue that we just did improve pretty substantially at TE. Hollister is definitely not nothing.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I suggest everyone read this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/.amp/gm-report/seahawks-2021-free-agent-primer-jacob-hollister?__twitter_impression=true

*Edit: I see Hapless already quoted this article. I still suggest giving the whole thing a read.

Hollister is a move tight end/H-back type. Can play all over the formation. He could be Kroft’s replacement, but he also very well may be GILLIAM’S replacement.

It's possible, but we have Gilliam on a cheap rookie contract for 3(?) more years and Hollister, even at vet minimum would be more expensive.

They both play a LOT of teams.

• Like (+1) 4

At least they’re signing people to fill out the team. You need solid role players as well. Not everything can be big names and contracts. 
We made our splash signings already keeping our own. Beane always has a plan and a backup plan. He looked into Gronk and Ertz and I’m sure others and at least he got someone while he continues working. Better to have a role player now than nothing later 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is Lee Smith or Reggie Gilliam replacement not Knox. At least I hope. Played in TE friendly systems and not produced as a receiving threat. I almost see him more as a Patrick Dimarco or how they used Gilliam this year. 

Still need to get Ertz...

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Kick cap down the road? Yeah, but it doesn't seem like the Bills want to do that as of now. 

Yeah really weird. I can't think of any massive extensions they have to take into account in the near future.