Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

Just now, Augie said:

Oh, now you go all “mathy” on us! I think that one was on the SAT. I didn’t sign up for that!  :)

My understanding is that it’s 65% against getting it, but close to 100% against being hospitalized or dying. That’s good enough for me, quite honestly. I’d have taken whatever I could get first, then wait for them to learn more.

Bottom line, I’m just glad my two shots are behind me, even if the hack who gave me the first one did make me sore for a day. The two shots were administered with VERY different levels of deftness. The professional nurse was better than the guy who looked like he’d never held a needle before and clumsily dropped all his stuff inside my car. 

re JJ, you are right:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/why-the-johnson-johnson-vaccine-is-more-effective-than-you-think

In clinical trials, the J&J vaccine showed 66% overall efficacy against Covid-19 while the other vaccines showed percentages around 95%. But, Dr. Papa explains, those aren’t the numbers that matter. The question is how well the vaccines protect against serious disease.

In Johnson & Johnson’s published results, its vaccine was 85% effective in preventing severe disease and, most important, “demonstrated complete protection against COVID-19 related hospitalization and death as of Day 28.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

re JJ, you are right:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/why-the-johnson-johnson-vaccine-is-more-effective-than-you-think

In clinical trials, the J&J vaccine showed 66% overall efficacy against Covid-19 while the other vaccines showed percentages around 95%. But, Dr. Papa explains, those aren’t the numbers that matter. The question is how well the vaccines protect against serious disease.

In Johnson & Johnson’s published results, its vaccine was 85% effective in preventing severe disease and, most important, “demonstrated complete protection against COVID-19 related hospitalization and death as of Day 28.”

Ha, that's my doctor.

A week or so ago I signed up with Monroe County and have a May 2nd appointment. Tonight about 10 I received a text from my chart saying they have openings tomorrow, so I made a morning appointment and we'll see what happens. Not sure which one they have but it doesn't matter to me.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not sure what it's like by you, but it seems like a free for all by me. You get a choice in that you can choose the facility you get an appointment with. But getting an appointment has been a chore.  I'm on Long Island and one thing I've heard is that it's easier to get an appointment if you're willing to drive a few hours and get vaccinated upstate.

We live S of Richmond VA.  Were on a number of "lists" but never got contacted.  A friend of a friend tipped us off about a site about an hour from here.  We signed up, they confirmed, and we were there for both shots.  There was no choice, they were using Pfizer.  Had to drive to Stuart VA.  I know, I never heard of it either, but it did the trick!

Got the jab Feb 5th.  Drove 3 hrs and 200 miles one way, back on Feb 26 for #2.  Pfizer.  No problems.  Sore arm, bit of fatigue but 6 hrs of driving can do that.  What @SinceThe70s said, that's how it is here.  If you're able and willing to travel away from the population centers appointments are relatively available.  If you can't, much tougher.

Have since successfully helped 6 qualified folks obtain local appointments.  Shouldn't be this way but, It Is What It Is.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:36 PM, DrW said:

Moderna. First shot at the end of January (Texas priority 1B), no aftereffects at all. Second shot at the end of February; no fever, but some muscle pain, not only at the injection site. Played it up a bit, to avoid yard work for the weekend. Then wifey asked if I, instead of doing yard work, could help her a bit with her NIH grant. So, instead of 4-6 hours yard work, I spent 12+ hours proofreading, editing, and making diagrams.

HA serves you right!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve been eligible from nearly the start because of my age, but uh.. my State hasn’t been very good about distribution. My 87 year old parents finally got their 1st vac 10 days ago..

Anyway, I’m glad to get it. Daughter & Grandies are coming for Easter. Haven’t seen or hugged them in over a year. 

Anyone else care to share if they’ve received a dose?

I received a my first in a two part series. I am due back in two weeks. A little arm stiffness (of course) and maybe my back for a day. 

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We live S of Richmond VA.  Were on a number of "lists" but never got contacted.  A friend of a friend tipped us off about a site about an hour from here.  We signed up, they confirmed, and we were there for both shots.  There was no choice, they were using Pfizer.  Had to drive to Stuart VA.  I know, I never heard of it either, but it did the trick!

the random ad hoc way these vaccines are being distributed will be sort of interesting to study after the fact. I would like to see how the different states implemented their procedures. My sense is that mass decentralization down to the local level (county, town, borough) has been more effective than the states that have tried to centralize the process. 

it seems like everyone I have spoken to in a number of different states that have been vaccinated— that happened through a friend of a friend or some random referral or word of mouth, traveling to a remote Spot, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wife got first shot 2 weeks ago today. (M)
got my first shot 2 weeks ago tomorrow. (M)

little tired I had no problem 

Wife had sore arm for couple days. Tired. 

this week both of us got stuffy, nasal drip kind of like a cold. Been hanging on for 3-4 days. 
called wellnow and asked if we should get tested for the virus. 
nurse said no. She told us several of her coworkers had the same thing.  She said several other people have called with same problems.  

April 5th my next shot and wife April 8. 

Moderator Edited

Edited by Chandler#81
Remove unsavory text

3 hours ago, mead107 said:

Wife got first shot 2 weeks ago today. (M)
got my first shot 2 weeks ago tomorrow. (M)

little tired I had no problem 

Wife had sore arm for couple days. Tired. 

this week both of us got stuffy, nasal drip kind of like a cold. Been hanging on for 3-4 days. 
called wellnow and asked if we should get tested for the virus. 
nurse said no. She told us several of her coworkers had the same thing.  She said several other people have called with same problems.  

April 5th my next shot and wife April 8. 

Common cold is a coronavirus. 

My MIL got it a few weeks ago.  Getting second one soon.  Not one problem... She's 84.  BUT she's 90 pounds soaking wet.  The higher the BMI, they constant state of inflammation a body is in.  Probably why some are getting reactions to the jab. BUT, it is better than getting it in the wild!  Almost non-existant extreme reaction where one has to be hospitalized!

It's what the vaxx should do!

39 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My MIL got it a few weeks ago.  Getting second one soon.  Not one problem... She's 84.  BUT she's 90 pounds soaking wet.  The higher the BMI, the constant state of inflammation a body is in.  Probably why some are getting reactions to the jab. BUT, it is better than getting it in the wild!  Almost non-existant extreme reaction where one has to be hospitalized!

Got my 1st dose of the Pfizer a couple weeks ago. I go for the 2nd dose this Friday!!

Ive never been so excited to go get jabbed with a needle! 😂

Both my elderly parents already had both doses of the Moderna vaccine. My sis has had both doses of the Pfizer. A Bunch more friends, family and neighbors have had 1 or both doses of the vaccine (in fact most people I know have, now that I think about it). Vaccine rollout here seems to be going pretty well. I’ve been impressed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/19/2021 at 8:27 PM, SinceThe70s said:

My father in law - whose health is not good (especially lately) - is insistent on getting J&J because it's just one shot and he's worried about side effects. Reasonable concern IMO but it's delaying the process.

My mom was scheduled to get Pfizer. She had a significant health scare recently and doctors told her Pfizer was the 'good one'.  Through dumb luck - similar to your wife - she had an opportunity to get Moderna sooner so she jumped on it. I'd have waited a week for Pfizer based on doctors comments but tbh I'm not sure anyone knows which is or will be better so whatever. Glad she got vaccinated.

Good luck with yours, first Moderna shot was a non-event for my mom, hope the second goes as well and hope  same applies to you for both.

I’ve heard from friends in the medical field that the reaction is actually less the weaker your immune system is. That it’s more likely for younger people to get more severe reactions. I’ve also read the same thing online. But I don’t know for 100% sure that it’s true. Just thought I’d mention it though.

Both my elderly parents (not in the best health) had zero reaction to Moderna.

tell him to just get whatever one is offered 1st.

edit - just to ease your dad’s mind a bit - My sis works at a hospital that deals pretty much exclusively w/cancer patients so they gave out a lot of vaccines to immune compromised people and no significant reactions to report.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I got my first shot this morning. Moderna. My arm has become increasingly sore throughout the day. Sort of surprised at how sore— like Hurts to raise my arm in the air. Was tired too and took a nap, but otherwise am fine. Just hiked 3 miles.

This is totally normal. 

when you get your 2nd dose, start rotating your arm in circles and then massage the muscle while you’re waiting that 15 minutes after the shot. Then rotate your arm in circles for a few minutes every hour for the first 1/2 day and it should hopefully keep your arm from getting nearly as sore.

On 3/20/2021 at 6:52 AM, Draconator said:

Not exactly the same, but kinda similar for me. My wife and I qualified here in NY. However, our appointments were me at 11:00 am, and her at 2:30 pm. We went to Batavia for the J&J vaccine. I showed up, and we asked if she could also get hers at the same time. No problem. They said as long as she was scheduled for that day, she could get it with me. When we went to show the workers our paperwork (since we're about 10 and 12 years under 65), they were like "We believe you, no need to see anything". 

Same here. I was told to bring a letter from my doctor by the lady who made the appointment. Since the appt. was only 2 days from then I had to scramble like crazy to get that letter in time.

Show up to the appointment. Some guy just asked if a met the qualifications (and said I didn’t have to tell him the exact medical reason I did) and I said yes. Then said “here I have a letter from my dr.” and he wouldn’t even look at it... 🤷‍♂️

I think it’s probably due to HIPPA laws. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My MIL got it a few weeks ago.  Getting second one soon.  Not one problem... She's 84.  BUT she's 90 pounds soaking wet.  The higher the BMI, they constant state of inflammation a body is in.  Probably why some are getting reactions to the jab. BUT, it is better than getting it in the wild!  Almost non-existant extreme reaction where one has to be hospitalized!

I'm about the size of an o-lineman (except I could afford to loose a whole bunch or weight), and I have not had a reaction to either the first or second Pfizer shot beyond a mildly sore arm. They also say that younger people are more like to have a bad response, but my 16 year old son is right with me - light sore arm is it. This virus and vaccine is weird - hard to say who is going to have a reaction. They have 100+ year old folks survive the virus and young healthy people die from it. That's why I'm always puzzled when I hear someone proclaim that they're not worried if they get covid - they'll fight it off and be just fine.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, I am the egg man said:

Got two days of laying around doing nothing claiming I was so tired from 1st shot two weeks ago.

Might go for the headache and tired two day vacation again after next weeks follow up shot.

Got it for grandkids, kids and to schedule a postponed surgery due to the outbreak, that will keep me in the hospital 3-4 days. 

Followed by a super lengthy recovery period it would seem.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, Simon said:

For me it was being a bit uncomfortable with an emergent technology that manipulates your messengerRNA (although after nearly 40 years of drinking and smoking, does it really matter at this point:-). 

I went with the single dose J&J which is just an adenovirus. Had it Monday afternoon; rolled out of bed Tuesday morning and it felt uncannily like the morning after a football game. No soreness Wednesday but a bunch of chills and a little tired; nothing so bad that I couldn't go to work and then still manage to slog through a 5 mile hike with the dog in the evening.

Simon, I'm not questioning your decision on what vaccine to get, but this gouge about the difference between mRNA vaccines and J&J is not quite correct.

We all agreed to put the Ix-Nay on Ovid-Cay discussion, but if we're putting wrong info out there, correct info needs to be next to it.

Think of these vaccines as being in two parts:

1) the manufacturing instructions, for your body to make the antigen that will stimulate your body's adaptive immune response (in this case, the antigen is SARS-CoV2 spike protein or a portion of the spike protein)

2) the delivery truck, which drives the manufacturing instructions to your human cells

3) your cells then internalize the manufacturing instructions, read them , and get to work making spike protein

4) the spike protein then makes its way to the surface of special cells called "antigen presenting cells" which put your immune system to work gearing up to "repel boarders"

So. 

In the J&J vaccine, the manufacturing instructions are a piece of DNA that will get transcribed into mRNA inside your cells, and the extra instructions that tell your cell "make mRNA out of this thing".  Once the mRNA is made, it gets translated into part of the spike protein. 

The J&J delivery truck is a modified adenovirus shell (absent the adenovirus DNA that would allow it to reproduce or act like a virus).

In the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, the manufacturing instructions are the actual messenger RNA.  The delivery truck is a special lipid particle that protects the mRNA and keeps it from being destroyed before it gets into the cell and does its thing

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines don't "manipulate your messenger RNA".  It doesn't cause you to make new or different mRNA.  It would need a whole 'nother instruction manual to do that.  The mRNA they contain is relatively fragile and gets copied a few times then destroyed, which is the way of mRNA

The J&J vaccine isn't "just an adenovirus", it's an adenovirus that is carrying a piece of DNA that gets taken up into your cells and used as a template to make mRNA.  So in a sense, you could say it's "manipulating your mRNA" since it causes your body to make something it wouldn't otherwise, but from the biochemical sense you wind up in the same place - with mRNA that makes a viral protein inside your cells - after an extra step.  The piece of DNA eventually gets destroyed too.

mRNA vaccines have been a "Holy Grail" people have been working on for more than a decade.  The technical issue has always been, how to get the mRNA to survive long enough to get taken up into the cell and "Do Work".  RNA in general is easily destroyed.

And yes, if anyone needs to be told, this is 100% "my lane" and I know way more than the "average Bear" about this stuff.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And yes, if anyone needs to be told, this is 100% "my lane" and I know way more than the "average Bear" about this stuff.

Well said... But you may be in for a rude awakening, that has never stopped the "average bear" on the internet. 😆🤣

The average internet bears are tough!

😉😜 

Blessed to have gotten my second shot on March 4th. Drove 90 minutes each way. Would've driven 900.

Moderna. Arm pain at injection site after 1st and 2nd shots. Extreme tiredness, general feeling of unwellness for 24 hours after each shot. Otherwise, no side effects.

So, so, thankful. 

Will still continue to mask, distance, and follow all CDC guidelines. 

Can't wait to hug my loved ones once they get jabbed!!!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.