Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

My sister got COVID from senior executive at company who subsequently died from it (he was very elderly but still active in business) and got vaccine after she recovered from virus.

How long ago was this, if you don't mind me asking .

11 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

How long ago was this, if you don't mind me asking .

My Sister got it last year after my mother died.

She received it this year and was on early list because she was essential worker working in food industry.

She got COVID early enough there was a shortage of masks around the country so my wife made her a set of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Has anyone here had covid prior to getting the vaccine?

Not me, but two of my friends (a husband and wife) got Covid last fall. He recovered, she didn't. He got his second vaccine last week and is doing fine.

• Sad 2

On 4/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Quoting the legendary @DC Tom, you’re a moron. But a damn funny moron!🤣

btw, no I’ll effects for me. Completely vax’d and done with this pandemic.

Whats Next? 

Done with it... so far. ‘They’re’ saying there may be a third dose needed later this year for continued protection & variants.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Not me, but two of my friends (a husband and wife) got Covid last fall. He recovered, she didn't. He got his second vaccine last week and is doing fine.

There’s anecdotals of long-haulers getting better after getting the shots.

While I’m here... So far, only injection site soreness to report and some wrist ache on the same arm.  

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 1

Got both doses of Pfizer.  My immune system is no bueno so one of my docs had me take an antibody test a couple weeks after the second dose.  Unfortunately no antibodies for me which was not unexpected.  I'm dependent on those around me getting vaccinated; in other words I'm not going to be eliminating a mask any time soon.  Have 2 kids getting married this fall/winter; hope to be there to participate in both weddings.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Beerball said:

Got both doses of Pfizer.  My immune system is no bueno so one of my docs had me take an antibody test a couple weeks after the second dose.  Unfortunately no antibodies for me which was not unexpected.  I'm dependent on those around me getting vaccinated; in other words I'm not going to be eliminating a mask any time soon.  Have 2 kids getting married this fall/winter; hope to be there to participate in both weddings.  

Beerball,

Thought there might be some info you would find useful in this fairly recent article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/04/immunocompromised-vaccine/618596/

3 hours ago, Beerball said:

Our son has his “public wedding” next Friday at the Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC. The date has moved repeatedly and they did a small church thing last summer. All the old farts have had their shots, and the “kids” don’t care too much either way. The state and venue have new limits on attendance so they save some money by limited to 64 people when the original list was 100+. More money for their first house! (Had an easy out to skip it all together, but what bride doesn’t want that dream wedding?)

Most of their friends are about the same age and getting married about the same time. All those plans went down the drain too. What a crazy year! 

Sorry the shots didn’t do the trick for you. They will continue to get better at dealing with this. I hope things keep getting better and your kid’s weddings go off without a hitch and with you in good health! 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I’ve been eligible from nearly the start because of my age, but uh.. my State hasn’t been very good about distribution. My 87 year old parents finally got their 1st vac 10 days ago..

Anyway, I’m glad to get it. Daughter & Grandies are coming for Easter. Haven’t seen or hugged them in over a year. 

Anyone else care to share if they’ve received a dose?

Like you, I was eligible early on because I’m a cancer patient, but it took another slip&fall, and another fractured vertebrae to get me into Buffalo General, where they gave me the Janssen (J&J) vaccine, just before it was temporarily stopped.

It’s been over a month, and no side effects.

(I go under the knife at Roswell on Tuesday - another tumor ablation.)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Like you, I was eligible early on because I’m a cancer patient, but it took another slip&fall, and another fractured vertebrae to get me into Buffalo General, where they gave me the Janssen (J&J) vaccine, just before it was temporarily stopped.

It’s been over a month, and no side effects.

(I go under the knife at Roswell on Tuesday - another tumor ablation.)

Keep kicking ass Sen.

20 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Beerball,

Thought there might be some info you would find useful in this fairly recent article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/04/immunocompromised-vaccine/618596/

Thanks, much appreciated.  One of my docs has indicated that AstraZeneca is working on a therapy that might help me out.  If not them then someone else will.  I've volunteered with AZ in case they need study participants. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Wife and I got our second yesterday.  Kicked her ass I feel nothing LOL.  Took the bike out then for a 100 miles today😁

I would have stayed home and taken care of my wife....................rather than go on a 100 mile bike ride. She is welcome to blow chunks all over me before I opt for a 100 mile bike ride, unless I have a week to complete it and a nice hotel every night along the way!  :)

We have friends who live in Hilton Head, our former home. He’s a CPA and invited us to stay with them so my wife could meet with one of his clients to see if she could help him. He said “Hey! Want to bike over to Pool Bar Jim’s on the beach for frozen drinks?”  Well, OF COURSE! I had NO idea how far that was from his house, that most of the ride would be on the sandy beach, that the very STRONG wind would be against us the whole way there, or that a 100 mile bike ride was routine for him. When we FINALLY got there he said “I love you guys, you’re game to do stuff!” Apparently he couldn’t hear me cussing him the last half of the ride.  

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

21 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Has anyone here had covid prior to getting the vaccine? Has anyone here had covid after the vaccine?

I forget the actual dates, but I was at Erie County Medical Center’s Emergency Room in Spring of 2020, then admitted for observation.  

A couple of days after discharge I got a call from ECMC telling me I was COVID positive.  I was shocked, as I was totally asymptomatic.  I felt fine.

They told me to self-quarantine for 14 days, which I did.  I was subsequently tested at Roswell Park Cancer Center, Buffalo General Hospital, and Harris Hill Physical Rehab Center - all tests were negative.  Buffalo General gave me the Janssen (J&J) 1-shot vaccine last month, with no side effects.

(Roswell will likely swab me again this Tuesday, before they slice my thigh and snake a catheter up my hepatic artery to ablate a tumor.)

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I forget the actual dates, but I was at Erie County Medical Center’s Emergency Room in Spring of 2020, then admitted for observation.  

A couple of days after discharge I got a call from ECMC telling me I was COVID positive.  I was shocked, as I was totally asymptomatic.  I felt fine.

They told me to self-quarantine for 14 days, which I did.  I was subsequently tested at Roswell Park Cancer Center, Buffalo General Hospital, and Harris Hill Physical Rehab Center - all tests were negative.  Buffalo General gave me the Janssen (J&J) 1-shot vaccine last month, with no side effects.

(Roswell will likely swab me again this Tuesday, before they slice my thigh and snake a catheter up my hepatic artery to ablate a tumor.)

Best of luck, Sen.

7 hours ago, The Senator said:

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Best of luck, Sen.

Yes! Best Wishes, Senator!

Great to hear from you -but scared for your dilemma! Keep us informed, please.

14 hours ago, TSNBDSC said:

Wife got first Moderna yesterday. Sore arm, really chilled, nothing else.

Get the vax peeps. Nothing to worry about.

No issue for most but if you have a number of systemic issues best be very prepared for it.

It can overload a system which is already weakened and amplify issues.

Have a friend or family member with you first day or two.

13 hours ago, The Senator said:

Roswell will likely swab me again this Tuesday, before they slice my thigh and snake a catheter up my hepatic artery to ablate a tumor.)

Good luck. Roswell has a good rep.

On 4/24/2021 at 7:37 PM, Augie said:

I would have stayed home and taken care of my wife....................rather than go on a 100 mile bike ride. She is welcome to blow chunks all over me before I opt for a 100 mile bike ride, unless I have a week to complete it and a nice hotel every night along the way!  :)

She was just cold & tired. On the couch with a blanket and the remote. She was OK considering.

Bike = Harley

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.