Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

Just got back home from getting the 2nd dose. Preparing myself and getting my mind ready for possibility of feeling like ***** next couple days. Hopefully won't be any worse than the 1st one. I hear many ppl say 2nd is worse than 1st, but not for everyone.

Wife's 1st dose put her down hard for almost 3 days. Her 2nd she was fine other than shoulder/arm soreness. Fathers 2nd dose he was fine too, didn't even have arm soreness. So will see how goes.....Lol exciting!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

just had my 2nd Pfizer yesterday, and today it's arm soreness and body aches/fatigue so far--but no fever yet. We have some trips to attend weddings planned for later in the year, so this will help with peace of mind, some! 

The peace of mind is huge.

Both my son and I have medical issues that put us high risk categories and I take immunosupressive medications. If I had gotten covid I was probably a prime candidate to end up in the hospital and potentially dead. Getting this vaccine doesn't make me bulletproof and I know I can still get the virus (although my chances should be greatly diminished), bust just knowing a worst case scenario would likely see me sick but not hospitalized or dead is a huge weight off my mind - I can't tell you how much better it feels without that mental stress after more than a year...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Thanks for sharing. That info is helpful. I have a scheduled checkup with my doc this afternoon and part of it was presumably the second shingles vax since it's been four months. One of my questions to him was going to be about re-scheduling/postponing that one since since I had Pfizer 1.0 on 3/31 and should be hearing about Pfizer 2.0 next Wednesday. I did not time that well at all. Like you, I'm more worried about the reaction to my next shingles shot. Hopefully, it turns out to be nothing. Good luck to you on Monday and with that lingering arm pain.

Thanks. I got my first shingles when COVID shots were first being administered. There might have been some concern about getting the two close together. I just noticed it's two weeks now. I think you have 6 mos to get the 2nd shot. You may have time...and you may have found that out today. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Just got back home from getting the 2nd dose. Preparing myself and getting my mind ready for possibility of feeling like ***** next couple days. Hopefully won't be any worse than the 1st one. I hear many ppl say 2nd is worse than 1st, but not for everyone.

Wife's 1st dose put her down hard for almost 3 days. Her 2nd she was fine other than shoulder/arm soreness. Fathers 2nd dose he was fine too, didn't even have arm soreness. So will see how goes.....Lol exciting!!!!

Well, 2nd does was/is the same for me. Same weak, tired, and body aches. Although with this 2nd dose, the effects started a whole lot faster. I noticed arm soreness, and fatigue only 3 hrs after the shot. Body aches started by the 4th hr. 1st dose all these effects started the next day.

So was surprised how quickly the 2nd started making me feel that way as compared to 1st dose. Hopefully last the same length which was a day, so the length is still to be determined. Anyways, that's my experience so far.

40 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well, 2nd does was/is the same for me. Same weak, tired, and body aches. Although with this 2nd dose, the effects started a whole lot faster. I noticed arm soreness, and fatigue only 3 hrs after the shot. Body aches started by the 4th hr. 1st dose all these effects started the next day.

So was surprised how quickly the 2nd started making me feel that way as compared to 1st dose. Hopefully last the same length which was a day, so the length is still to be determined. Anyways, that's my experience so far.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Grab a quart of Ben & Jerry's, then settle in and binge some 'Dallas' and 'Step by Step' to pass the time. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I wonder what reactions will be to 3rd or annul boosters - looks like that's the direction we are headed. It shouldn't be a surprise that your 2 shot Pfizer/Moderna or single J&J wouldn't last forever - it'll be interesting to see how often we have to get these based on the antibody levels at certain times from your last shot....

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just found this PSA on the interweb. It may be legit ...

’See you’ tonight!

61BC88AF-2D7E-4ED1-88C7-35D45A50FD54.jpeg

This is not correct.  You're supposed to be outside, preferably within sight of either those hot college girls renting a house on your block, or the neighborhood busy body who likes to call the cops on children playing too loud. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

I wonder what reactions will be to 3rd or annul boosters - looks like that's the direction we are headed. It shouldn't be a surprise that your 2 shot Pfizer/Moderna or single J&J wouldn't last forever - it'll be interesting to see how often we have to get these based on the antibody levels at certain times from your last shot....

I asked that question when I got my 2nd shot last Sunday. The Nurse told me that booster shots 6 months out are likely.

It'll probably be like getting a yearly flu shot in the long run.

11 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I asked that question when I got my 2nd shot last Sunday. The Nurse told me that booster shots 6 months out are likely.

It'll probably be like getting a yearly flu shot in the long run.

Yeah probably so until enough ppl get it to hopefully herd immunity. If that is even possible

Found this today when trying to find shot: CDC/FDA guidance: pausing the use of Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine until further notice. 

Locally the Fairfax county government is going by its own schedule not schedule of State of Virginia.

Virginia is going open for all 16+ on Sunday. I was on already on list and I got my email I can get my shot now but all of the sites listed on local county list are full until Thursday next week.  The odd thing there are hundreds of pharmacies in county but they have only around 20 locations to get shots with some people in SE part of county needing to travel many miles to get a shot with me needing to go 9 miles. 

I went to vaccinefinder.org (directed from CDC site) and went to look for one closer.  Even though it states most pharmacies say they are providing shots when you go to their websites none are available.  For some you need to sign up for an account before they will even tell you if they have any appointments. Walgreens signup page is broken. Very hard to try to get one of the leftover virus shots if you cannot even get on list.

Very poor way to make sure everyone gets a shot.  My wife got on list easily since she works for school system and they had massive openings until they ran out of vaccine.

23 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah probably so until enough ppl get it to hopefully herd immunity. If that is even possible

It is a RNA virus like the flu so there will be variants possibly forever.

Edited by Limeaid

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Found this today when trying to find shot: CDC/FDA guidance: pausing the use of Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine until further notice. 

Locally the Fairfax county government is going by its own schedule not schedule of State of Virginia.

Virginia is going open for all 16+ on Sunday. I was on already on list and I got my email I can get my shot now but all of the sites listed on local county list are full until Thursday next week.  The odd thing there are hundreds of pharmacies in county but they have only around 20 locations to get shots with some people in SE part of county needing to travel many miles to get a shot with me needing to go 9 miles. 

I went to vaccinefinder.org (directed from CDC site) and went to look for one closer.  Even though it states most pharmacies say they are providing shots when you go to their websites none are available.  For some you need to sign up for an account before they will even tell you if they have any appointments. Walgreens signup page is broken. Very hard to try to get one of the leftover virus shots if you cannot even get on list.

Very poor way to make sure everyone gets a shot.  My wife got on list easily since she works for school system and they had massive openings until they ran out of vaccine.

It is a RNA virus like the flu so there will be variants possibly forever.

Ihad no problem getting an appointment/. I'm in Cheektowaga and went to Niagara Falls. Made it on March 29th and went on April 5. Could have went April 2, but my schedule couldn't fit it in. Mother had one (J&J) at the house (she is housebound). By the 31st we will all be done.  

The  possible third shot is because of  the mutation rate of the virus,  not how effective it is. Its an arms race between  your immune system and the virus. If the coat protein spikes mutate, the antibodies you make to the coat protein are not effective.  Think lock and key.  Change the lock and the key doesn't work.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We got our second shots (Pfizer) on Saturday. Side-effects (all-over body aches, general listlessness) were most pronounced the next day. A couple of Ibuprofens helped. We feel much better today. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

"Meeting deadline" is different than being able to get shots or even make appointments.  It is just state saying "yes" to comply with federal mandates. Been trying for my adult daughter and even when I use CDC's VaccineFinder site just after it is updated every pharmacy is filled and none are allowing future appointment like I have this week for myself.

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

"Meeting deadline" is different than being able to get shots or even make appointments.  It is just state saying "yes" to comply with federal mandates. Been trying for my adult daughter and even when I use CDC's VaccineFinder site just after it is updated every pharmacy is filled and none are allowing future appointment like I have this week for myself.

It's a pain in the butt, but the best method is going directly through each individual pharmacy/grocery store's website, and refreshing and re-trying over and over.

Tedious but effective.

I have friends in Florida that we are trying to go visit, but only after they get vaccinated. They said they signed up through the state and have been on "the waiting list" for weeks. I went onto Publix's website this weekend and got them appointments for 2 days from now. Took me about 30 minutes of fiddling around.

Good luck!

Got my first Moderna shot on March 16th, with a little muscle soreness and that's it.

Second shot on April 14th is a different story, first day was fine, second day diarrhea, nausea, fever, muscle aches, 3rd day felt better, 4th and 5th day felt sick again, add in chest cold like symptoms difficulty breathing, today I'm feeling better again. I even got a covid test yesterday just to see if I caught Covid in between shots. People at my church video team tested positive for Covid that I served with.

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.