Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

36 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Fwiw, my fiancee is a RN. She actually gives the shots and says that women are getting worse reactions than men. Naturally, I don't know for sure if this is true but this is her strong opinion.

My ex-wife is reporting feeling terrible after 7pm yesterday through now, after #2. Hopefully it gets better as the day goes on.

1 hour ago, teef said:

that moderna seems to follow a schedule.  you'll possibly start feeling lousy 12 hours after, and it ends 24 hours after.   i could see the reactions being worse for women.  in our office, 6 of the girls received the vaccine, and two had the more hard core symptoms that lasted the day.  the two were younger, but our other younger employee felt nothing.  it was a mixed bag here.

My kid and her BF got Moderna.  No reactions beyond a sore arm to #1.  So far.  Kid is believed to have had covid-19 last year (sick, no test due to scarcity, antibody test positive 3 weeks later).

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My kid and her BF got Moderna.  No reactions beyond a sore arm to #1.  So far.  Kid is believed to have had covid-19 last year (sick, no test due to scarcity, antibody test positive 3 weeks later).

if someone has had covid, how long out are they waiting now to give the vaccine?  90 days?  i'm really wondering if people will have a heightened reaction to the vaccine if they're 90 days beyond having the virus.

My wife has talked with several people she knows (women) and all have said that the second dose was much worse than the first and they felt 'flu-like' for 24-36 hours. I know that is a very small sample size and I'm not sure which vaccine(s) they received. 

I received my first shot on March 31st (Pfizer) and had no side effects other than a sore arm for a little less than a day. When I got my first shingles shot, my damn arm was sore for a week. The worst I have ever had from a flu shot was a day or two. I'm supposed to be receiving an e-mail on April 21st for my second Pfizer dose. My wife and sons are registered but have heard nothing so far.

9 minutes ago, teef said:

if someone has had covid, how long out are they waiting now to give the vaccine?  90 days?  i'm really wondering if people will have a heightened reaction to the vaccine if they're 90 days beyond having the virus.

The official recommendation is if you have received convalescent plasma or monoclonal antibody infusion treatment for covid-19, wait 90 days.

If you have not, get vaccinated as soon as you are "clinically recovered" and out of isolation.

Anecdotally some people who have had covid-19 report that they react to the first shot as though it is the second shot, with more of them feeling bad. 

Waiting 90 days seems prudent to me after a symptomatic illness, unless you're in a high risk profession or have other pressing reasons to be vaccinated sooner.  Recover fully and get your strength back, let your immune system calm the ***** down, then boost it.

8 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

My wife has talked with several people she knows (women) and all have said that the second dose was much worse than the first and they felt 'flu-like' for 24-36 hours. I know that is a very small sample size and I'm not sure which vaccine(s) they received.

I think it's more random than that.  3 female neighbors, no symptoms.  Friend, got "flu like' symptoms but so did her hubby.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's more random than that.  3 female neighbors, no symptoms.  Friend, got "flu like' symptoms but so did her hubby.

I agree. My comment was more an observation that people seem to be having a more adverse reaction to the second dose than to the first, not that said reaction was specific to women. She just happened to have talked to women. Sorry if that was ambiguous.

20 hours ago, teef said:

that moderna seems to follow a schedule.  you'll possibly start feeling lousy 12 hours after, and it ends 24 hours after.   i could see the reactions being worse for women.  in our office, 6 of the girls received the vaccine, and two had the more hard core symptoms that lasted the day.  the two were younger, but our other younger employee felt nothing.  it was a mixed bag here.

My mom about after a week getting her second Moderna felt flu-like and got an arm rash.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

My mom about after week getting her second Moderna felt flu-like and got an arm rash.

we had two staff get the "moderna arm", and if i remember correctly, it was about a week after their first.  it looked like a red, fairly large welt where they were given the shot. one of theo woman who got it also had the flu like symptom, the other just the arm.  symptoms are all over the place.

4 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

I received my first shot on March 31st (Pfizer) and had no side effects other than a sore arm for a little less than a day. When I got my first shingles shot, my damn arm was sore for a week. The worst I have ever had from a flu shot was a day or two. I'm supposed to be receiving an e-mail on April 21st for my second Pfizer dose. My wife and sons are registered but have heard nothing so far.

That first shingles vax took me out for a few days. Just a general malaise. I'm still having issues w/ my upper left arm, a lingering pain in the area of the shot, that pops up occasionally. My 2nd Pfizer shot is Monday. I'm due at any time for my 2nd shingles shot, but was told it couldn't be w/in 3-4 weeks of getting a COVID vax, so I have to put that one off...but I'm more worried about my 2nd shingles vax than my 2nd Pfizer. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

My ex-wife is reporting feeling terrible after 7pm yesterday through now, after #2. Hopefully it gets better as the day goes on.

That’s odd - I always feel better after a #2. 

Im 62 and got my second Moderna shot and that night and all the next day felt like I had the flu - aches, chills, headache. The second day after, am feeling fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mom. 94 , got the J&J shot. Only had a sore arm. Me and  bro got the first Pfizer, sore arm and sleep for a few hours. Sis and BIL  got first Moderna, same .

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

When my wife and I got our 2nd Moderna doses this past Sunday she had slight flu like symptoms for about 24 hrs or so while I only had the sore arm for a few days. I actually felt great the 1st day after the jab other than the sore arm. I mention this because oddly enough whenever I had gotten the flu inn the past I would normally feel great too the day before I would come down with flu like symptoms (weird huh) By the way, I sleep on my right side, so I always get my vaccinations in my left arm. That would be my recommendation to others.  

14 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

That first shingles vax took me out for a few days. Just a general malaise. I'm still having issues w/ my upper left arm, a lingering pain in the area of the shot, that pops up occasionally. My 2nd Pfizer shot is Monday. I'm due at any time for my 2nd shingles shot, but was told it couldn't be w/in 3-4 weeks of getting a COVID vax, so I have to put that one off...but I'm more worried about my 2nd shingles vax than my 2nd Pfizer. 

Thanks for sharing. That info is helpful. I have a scheduled checkup with my doc this afternoon and part of it was presumably the second shingles vax since it's been four months. One of my questions to him was going to be about re-scheduling/postponing that one since since I had Pfizer 1.0 on 3/31 and should be hearing about Pfizer 2.0 next Wednesday. I did not time that well at all. Like you, I'm more worried about the reaction to my next shingles shot. Hopefully, it turns out to be nothing. Good luck to you on Monday and with that lingering arm pain.

• Like (+1) 1

Mrs.  Lew had her second shot (Pfizer) 2 weeks ago and sore arm only.

I had my second (Pfizer) on Wed 4.14  and no adverse affects.   Not even the sore arm issue.

We have been very healthy during this situation and my thoughts are leaning towards increased

vitamin C and D intake.   Also, I got my first ever regular flu shot in the fall.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, Augie said:

It can also be.......no big deal. Chill, you’ll probably be fine. My mother worked herself into a frenzy about the second shot. Hopefully you will do better than your wife this time around. Fingers crossed! 

Hope the wife is getting back to feeling good!  

I am one of the weird ones who actually wanted to have some side effects and was happy when I did 🤣

honestly. It put my mind at ease. I knew that the vaccine triggered an immune response in my body and I felt like “ok, now I know it worked and I’ll be protected”.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

My 2nd Pfizer shot is Monday. I'm due at any time for my 2nd shingles shot, but was told it couldn't be w/in 3-4 weeks of getting a COVID vax, so I have to put that one off...but I'm more worried about my 2nd shingles vax than my 2nd Pfizer. 

I had my second shingles shot about 10 days after my second Pfizer shot.  I should have taken the next day off, I felt run down, flu like symptoms.  But started feeling better that evening.  I did take some ibuprofen so maybe that helped some. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

just had my 2nd Pfizer yesterday, and today it's arm soreness and body aches/fatigue so far--but no fever yet. We have some trips to attend weddings planned for later in the year, so this will help with peace of mind, some! 

My second Pfizer was Saturday, HUDS.  Mine was just arm soreness, although my wife got sick (but she's been sick of me since we got married!  *Ba-dum-bump!*)

Here's hoping that is it for you and you get over that stuff quickly.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.