Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

3 hours ago, Process said:

Back to almost 100% now.

Crazy how quickly I got back to normal, spent most of the day yesterday in bed with 102+ fever and the worst headache of my life. But  @DrDawkinstein was spot on, gone as quickly as it came. 

So you were pretty much just being a wuss.  That's fine.  We all respond differently.

Kidding!!!!  Glad you're feeling better, man!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

OR: The vaxx pushed then over the edge.

Look... Everyone is walking through life on the edge of the cliff.  Cliff is death.  How close you are to that cliff depends on many things.  Things that you have control over, things you don't have control over. Covid-19 is the wind.  So can the vaxx be. A vaxx will always be the wind, it can't be anything else.  If either blow you off the cliff,  you died from the fall.

In a lot of people the vaxx blows them farther from the cliff. There is a harm rate with any vaxx.   Maybe this one blew them over the edge... Because (unbeknownst to them) they were walking so damn close.

The vaxx definitely contributed. It's the risk we all take.

Don’t do drugs, kids.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I got my first shot (Moderna) last month.  Was able to get myself and family signed up early, there was a window early on where UNC Health had a web site where they would offer appts to the general population if they had vaccines that were getting close to expiring.  Mostly in rural areas - had to drive almost an hr for the place I signed up but that was no big deal.  I got the first shot at 10AM - around 3PM I remember sitting on the couch ("WFH") and suddenly feeling very tired and slightly chilled.  I wrapped myself in a blanket and then felt a wave of chill/malaise sweep over me - like when you are just coming down hard with something - and fell asleep for like 5 hrs.  After that I had a sore arm for a few days and was probably a bit more tired than usual but was OK after that (I joked w/ my wife before - wasn't sure how I would identify some of the side-effects - I usually have a headache and am always tired and sore 😛 )

I got my 2nd shot a couple days ago.  I am at the beach so drove 2hrs there and back - same thing got shot around 10AM - I was feeling fine and 3PM came and went and I was thinking pretty optimistically that I wasn't going to get hammered with any bad side effects.  Around 5PM I even decided to take an easy walk on the beach - figured getting my body moving would be a good thing.  After about 5 mins I realized that was a mistake.  I felt like I was walking in quicksand.  After a few more mins I decided to get off the beach and onto the road so I would be spotted if I passed out 😛  I made it back, and for the rest of the evening had chills and really intense muscle/body/head aches.  Honestly can't remember every feeling that kind of entire-body intense sorenes.  I think some of it may have that I was already a bit sore from riding bikes on the beach and other activity during the week - that got magnified like x1000.  That night I woke up (the times I actually did get to fall asleep) a few times either hot/sweating or freezing/chilled.  Was a pretty miserable night.  Yesterday still felt exremely sore and tired - even through alternating Advil/Tylenol doses - and slept most of the day.  Feel much better today.

My wife had mostly just fatigue - also slept most of yesterday - and is also better today.  My kids have their 2nd shot next week and I've told them to not plan anything for the next day.

Edited by stevewin
  • Sad 1

I agree with this... But it makes me feel creepy.  We all know why we should be vaxxed.  Shouldn't have to be about telling people.  Just roll up your freaking sleeve!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/10/health/vaccine-hesitant-how-to-talk-wellness/index.html

"When they hear that you chose to vaccinate, they'll consider it because you're part of their social circle," Pan said. "That becomes the social norm for your immediate social circle."

Mom(94) got J&J  just a sore arm.

Bro(53) and I(64) got  1st Pfizer-sore arm and wanting to sleep for an hour or two. 

Sister and BIL(both 61) got  1st Moderna- same.

Maybe people getting chills etc are getting a cold or flu. It is the cold and flu season after all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/7/2021 at 7:59 PM, Limeaid said:

One of my wife's staff called in off.  Her husband (late 40's or early 50s) is in emergency room after shot due to liver and kidney damage.

I checked and yes this reported possible side effect of vaccine.

Um...where did you see liver and kidney damage as a side effect of which vaccine?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wacka said:

Mom(94) got J&J  just a sore arm.

Bro(53) and I(64) got  1st Pfizer-sore arm and wanting to sleep for an hour or two. 

Sister and BIL(both 61) got  1st Moderna- same.

Maybe people getting chills etc are getting a cold or flu. It is the cold and flu season after all.

I think chills and fever for 24-30 hrs are pretty common vaccine side effects for Pfizer and Moderna (especially mild/moderate).  But for someone with a high fever that persists >24-30 hrs, I would suggest to call doctor and get tested for flu and covid-19.

12 hours ago, stevewin said:

I got my 2nd shot a couple days ago.  I am at the beach so drove 2hrs there and back - same thing got shot around 10AM - I was feeling fine and 3PM came and went and I was thinking pretty optimistically that I wasn't going to get hammered with any bad side effects.  Around 5PM I even decided to take an easy walk on the beach - figured getting my body moving would be a good thing.  After about 5 mins I realized that was a mistake.  I felt like I was walking in quicksand.  After a few more mins I decided to get off the beach and onto the road so I would be spotted if I passed out 😛  I made it back, and for the rest of the evening had chills and really intense muscle/body/head aches.  Honestly can't remember every feeling that kind of entire-body intense sorenes.  I think some of it may have that I was already a bit sore from riding bikes on the beach and other activity during the week - that got magnified like x1000.  That night I woke up (the times I actually did get to fall asleep) a few times either hot/sweating or freezing/chilled.  Was a pretty miserable night.  Yesterday still felt exremely sore and tired - even through alternating Advil/Tylenol doses - and slept most of the day.  Feel much better today.

Similar happened to a friend of mine.  Got his shot Fri afternoon.  Saturday am he was feeling fine, so he drove off about 90 minutes to a volunteer work day with a group he belongs to.  Several hours into it, exhaustion, low-grade fever, headache...struggle to drive home, felt awful.  Next day feeling tired, 2nd day normal.

Doesn't help to be told it's a relatively rare extent of side effects when it's you.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/reactogenicity.html

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/moderna/reactogenicity.html

On 4/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Just Jack said:

See, what you are describing is pre-existing condition, which I accept.  But claiming the vaccine suddenly gave someone liver and kidney disease is what Glenn suggested.  I don’t believe that. 

So the way VAERS works (vaccine adverse event reporting system) is that deaths following a vaccination MUST be reported, and any serious adverse event (kidney or liver problems would qualify) are strongly encouraged to be reported by physicians.  But that doesn't mean they were caused by the vaccine - there's an expected rate of death in different age groups, and a known rate of various other medical problems and especially since the vaccine was initially available/encouraged to the most vulnerable (HCW and elderly), people were gonna die and have heart attacks and liver problems and so forth.  VAERS has a bunch of analysis tools designed to pull out links between vaccination and adverse events above what's 'normal' for an age group or sex, and spot emerging patterns early.

I don't see liver and kidney disease anywhere on the known side effects of any of the vaccines.

It's possible that episodes may show up in VAERS, but that doesn't mean they're caused by the vaccines.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2021 at 1:13 PM, Process said:

This is hell, worse than any cold or flu I've ever gotten. Jealous of anyone that only had to deal with mild side effects! Including my father who got his 2nd a few days before me. How did you do it?

https://xkcd.com/2443/

There's one school of thought that having a strong reaction is good as it's proof of a good immune response to the vaccine

I'm sure that's not very comforting right now

Feel better soon!

(I'm sure this doesn't make you feel better, but there are some cases of people with awful side effects who turn out to have coincidentally, been infected with covid-19 about a week before they got vaccinated, so the symptoms showed up post-vaccine.  This is known because they tested positive for covid-19)

On 4/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, stevewin said:

I got my first shot (Moderna) last month.  Was able to get myself and family signed up early, there was a window early on where UNC Health had a web site where they would offer appts to the general population if they had vaccines that were getting close to expiring.  Mostly in rural areas - had to drive almost an hr for the place I signed up but that was no big deal.  I got the first shot at 10AM - around 3PM I remember sitting on the couch ("WFH") and suddenly feeling very tired and slightly chilled.  I wrapped myself in a blanket and then felt a wave of chill/malaise sweep over me - like when you are just coming down hard with something - and fell asleep for like 5 hrs.  After that I had a sore arm for a few days and was probably a bit more tired than usual but was OK after that (I joked w/ my wife before - wasn't sure how I would identify some of the side-effects - I usually have a headache and am always tired and sore 😛 )

My wife had mostly just fatigue - also slept most of yesterday - and is also better today.  My kids have their 2nd shot next week and I've told them to not plan anything for the next day.

Bolded appears to be the best message following a dose. I’ve put in for 2 days off as I work the graveyard and ‘a day’ to most folks can be 2days for me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Bolded appears to be the best message following a dose. I’ve put in for 2 days off as I work the graveyard and ‘a day’ to most folks can be 2days for me.

Try and tell @Gugny this...I don't think he gets the concept.  😆🤣 Hey Buddy, you listening?  Of course not, you're sleeping... 😁😆😅

Carry on.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/9/2021 at 7:01 PM, Process said:

Back to almost 100% now.

Crazy how quickly I got back to normal, spent most of the day yesterday in bed with 102+ fever and the worst headache of my life. But  @DrDawkinstein was spot on, gone as quickly as it came. 

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

And have you noticed that no matter where you go, your 5G coverage is amazing now?!?

• Haha (+1) 3

On 4/10/2021 at 11:06 AM, stevewin said:

Honestly can't remember every feeling that kind of entire-body intense sorenes.  I think some of it may have that I was already a bit sore from riding bikes on the beach and other activity during the week - that got magnified like x1000.

For anybody who's ever wondered what it feels like the day after a football game, this vaccine's effect the following day was remarkably similar.

The morning after my shot, I opened my eyes, rolled out of bed and for a second was actually confused because I couldn't remember yesterday's game. The physical feelings were so similar that it was like my body was automatically operating under the assumption I had played ball the day before but my mind wasn't awake enough to process the real reason I was sore.

I've never had that from any other vaccine and it was a really weird moment. I kind of liked it.

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.