Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

6 minutes ago, Process said:

This is hell, worse than any cold or flu I've ever gotten. Jealous of anyone that only had to deal with mild side effects! Including my father who got his 2nd a few days before me. How did you do it?

The J&J shot hit me pretty hard. I was laid up with the same symptoms as you mentioned. All I can tell you is, hang in there, it was gone as quickly as it came. You'll be 100% and feeling better than ever by the weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

Day-um! I hope it passes quickly!

Keep us informed. Best wishes!

35 minutes ago, Process said:

This is hell, worse than any cold or flu I've ever gotten. Jealous of anyone that only had to deal with mild side effects! Including my father who got his 2nd a few days before me. How did you do it?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Process said:

Sorry to hear - feeling miserable sucks.

It may be of little consolation but at least you knw your immune system is working and ready to fight. You also know why you're sick - it's not because you have covid, it's because you're having a response to the vaccine.

Hang in there!

• Like (+1) 2

Relative who works in hospital was reinfected with COVID after having 2nd vaccine.  Was told that she was infected with another variant.

Vaccine seems to have helped reducing growth of virus 

She has been given antiviral medication.

Also have had 2 relatives die from COVID-19 complications.

It has been a miserable 2 weeks.

• Sad 4

On 4/8/2021 at 2:21 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

The J&J shot hit me pretty hard. I was laid up with the same symptoms as you mentioned. All I can tell you is, hang in there, it was gone as quickly as it came. You'll be 100% and feeling better than ever by the weekend.

I just got my J&J shot a few hours ago. In a weird coincidence the pharmacist who stuck me shares the same birthday as me - including the year.

Anyway, she suggested taking Ibuprofen a few hours after you get vaccinated and every 8 hours or so for a day as a preventative measure. Her point was if you don't get fever and chills no harm no foul. But if you don't take anything, by the time you start getting the symptoms it's too late and you'll have to wait until the Ibuprofen kicks in.

The other suggestion was don't just rollup your sleeve when you get the shot, instead take your arm completely out of your sleeve. Her contention was that the arm soreness is from tensing up when you get the shot and taking your arm out will leave it in a more relaxed position.

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, The Avenger said:

Sorry to hear - feeling miserable sucks.

It may be of little consolation but at least you knw your immune system is working and ready to fight. You also know why you're sick - it's not because you have covid, it's because you're having a response to the vaccine.

Hang in there!

This was my thought process as well while I was sick. "At least I know it's working!" :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I just got my J&J shot a few hours ago. In a weird coincidence the pharmacist who stuck me shares the same birthday as me - including the year.

Anyway, she suggested taking Ibuprofen a few hours after you get vaccinated and every 8 hours or so for a day as a preventative measure. Her point was if you don't get fever and chills no harm no foul. But if you don't take anything, by the time you start getting the symptoms it's too late and you'll have to wait until the Ibuprofen kicks in.

The other suggestion was don't just rollup your sleeve when you get the shoy, instead take your arm completely out of your sleeve. Her contention was that the arm soreness is from tensing up when you get the shot and taking your arm out will leave it in a more relaxed position.

Yeah, the ibuprofen helped, for sure.

Not sure about the arm soreness. I just kept moving my arm around, and that seemed to help work it out. It would only get sore if I didn't move much. But who knows.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This was my thought process as well while I was sick. "At least I know it's working!" :thumbsup:

Yeah, the ibuprofen helped, for sure.

Not sure about the arm soreness. I just kept moving my arm around, and that seemed to help work it out. It would only get sore if I didn't move much. But who knows.

She told me to ice the arm if it got sore.  But I completely agree with who knows.

So... What's the offical consensus on why some mount a robust response?  Yeah, I know everyone is different,  age, blood type, BMI... So many variables when dealing with the immune system.  

Anyway,  is there a way to make heads or tails of it all?  I tend to lean outside the box... You're the strongest @ your our weakest.  I know we have to shield and protect the weakest in the herd... That's a good narrative, yet we're stronger than we think.  Much stronger.  One takeaway from this whole pandemic would be just that I said.  Find strength in our weakness... 

/that be it carry on

On 4/7/2021 at 8:59 PM, Limeaid said:

One of my wife's staff called in off.  Her husband (late 40's or early 50s) is in emergency room after shot due to liver and kidney damage.

I checked and yes this reported possible side effect of vaccine.

Doubt it, he probably had issues before the shot. Was it "Joe's Anti-Vax Info" website where you saw it's possible? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Doubt it, he probably had issues before the shot. Was it "Joe's Anti-Vax Info" website where you saw it's possible? 

Why?  What's the harm rate? 1 in 100,000?  That's pretty decent odds considering people play the lottery to hit it big?  Even 1 in a 1,000,000 ain't bad.  Maybe Limeaid's wife's staff member was that 1 in a million?

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why?  What's the harm rate? 1 in 100,000?  That's pretty decent odds considering people play the lottery to hit it big?  Even 1 in a 1,000,000 ain't bad.  Maybe Limeaid's wife's staff member was that 1 in a million?

Because getting liver and kidney disease suddenly overnight never happens. 

36 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Yeah it does.  Maybe wrong word is disease.  My brother had Covid.  Wrecked his kidneys.   Then his heart gave out.   Kidneys will force the heart.

I ain't a doctor, nurse.   But you code two ways.  Lungs or heart.  Kidneys definitely will  make heart give out.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

The other suggestion was don't just rollup your sleeve when you get the shot, instead take your arm completely out of your sleeve. Her contention was that the arm soreness is from tensing up when you get the shot and taking your arm out will leave it in a more relaxed position.

She just wanted to see you take your shirt off.

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Coincidental and causal are two different things - I think in most vaccine cases the two thing usually turn out to be coincidental, but everyone starts spreading anecdotal evidence that it was the vaccine that caused the issue.

15 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

Coincidental and causal are two different things - I think in most vaccine cases the two thing usually turn out to be coincidental, but everyone starts spreading anecdotal evidence that it was the vaccine that caused the issue.

OR: The vaxx pushed then over the edge.

Look... Everyone is walking through life on the edge of the cliff.  Cliff is death.  How close you are to that cliff depends on many things.  Things that you have control over, things you don't have control over. Covid-19 is the wind.  So can the vaxx be. A vaxx will always be the wind, it can't be anything else.  If either blow you off the cliff,  you died from the fall.

In a lot of people the vaxx blows them farther from the cliff. There is a harm rate with any vaxx.   Maybe this one blew them over the edge... Because (unbeknownst to them) they were walking so damn close.

The vaxx definitely contributed. It's the risk we all take.

• Eyeroll 1

58 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

OR: The vaxx pushed then over the edge.

Look... Everyone is walking through life on the edge of the cliff.  Cliff is death.  How close you are to that cliff depends on many things.  Things that you have control over, things you don't have control over. Covid-19 is the wind.  So can the vaxx be. A vaxx will always be the wind, it can't be anything else.  If either blow you off the cliff,  you died from the fall.

In a lot of people the vaxx blows them farther from the cliff. There is a harm rate with any vaxx.   Maybe this one blew them over the edge... Because (unbeknownst to them) they were walking so damn close.

The vaxx definitely contributed. It's the risk we all take.

See, what you are describing is pre-existing condition, which I accept.  But claiming the vaccine suddenly gave someone liver and kidney disease is what Glenn suggested.  I don’t believe that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.