Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

I am scheduled for my first shot on Wed at a Mom & Pop pharmacy that has been a leader in shot distribution in my neck of the woods.

My much better half gets her 2nd shot on Thursday at drive through event at the National Guard  Armory.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My wife's original appt was for the J&J single-dose, but she re-scheduled until she found the two-dose available. She wanted the additional efficacy.

I believe it's 70% for J&J and 95% for the two-dose.

So this is actually a fairly common misconception about the J&J vaccine

Here's a good video on the vaccines:

Basically, Pfizer and Moderna was tested earlier when there was less of a spike and was more restrictive geographically when it tested.

Johnson and Johnson was tested during the Fall/Winter peak of the disease in multiple countries where variants were the most common disease.

That's not me saying J&J is better (though I personally chose to get that one over the other 2)... it's me saying it's really not an apples to apples comparison because of the differences in the trials.

• Like (+1) 5

Upthread I spoke about my vaccine.

A day after the second vaccine, I did not feel well and found I had a fever of 99.5. Went to bed and felt fine with no fever the next day.

Found this explanation in NEXSTAR:

‘It’s widely known that the second dose of the COVID-19 vaccines tend to come with more side effects than the first, including tiredness, headaches, chills, fever, nausea and muscle pain.

Why is that?

According to Dr. William B. Greenough III, a professor emeritus at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine who’s known for his work on cholera, there’s a simple explanation for the increase in side effects.

With the first dose, your body begins building its initial immune response, including producing antibodies. 

But with the second shot — a.k.a. the second exposure to the virus — “the big guns” of your immune system react. 

“Once your immune system recognizes the virus [after the second dose], it’s going to have a greater reaction to it,” Greenough said.‘

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/why-does-the-second-covid-vaccine-shot-have-more-side-effects-than-the-first/

@Chandler#81, et al.

Feel free to watch the whole thing, but starting at the 3:00 mark, Dana Carvey does a awesome impersonation of Paul McCartney talking about getting the vaccine.  He follows it with a conversation between Dr. Fauci and McCartney, which is good, too.  Great stuff!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Upthread I asked whether anyone cared which vaccine they got and why. Appreciate all who answered.

I was just talking to my sister and she said something that I hadn't heard before. It's anecdotal, second hand and I'm highly skeptical but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

The claim is that someone she knew got the vaccine and was subsequently exposed to someone who tested positive.  Sisters friend calls the CDC (they're taking calls?) and in the course of conversation was told that all 3 vaccines will (to some extent) prevent you from getting Covid but Pfizer will also prevent you from transmitting it.

Like I said, sounds like BS to me, thoughts?

On 3/23/2021 at 4:15 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Got the J & J one about 2 weeks ago.  I just wanted the one n done shot.  Thought I got away with no side effects but then woke up in the middle of the night with a headache and low grade fever, but it went away by the end of the next day.

Got my good ole vaccination card!  Is anyone clear on whether we should laminate those or not?  I'm guessing they'll be used for different things moving forward, but the people who gave me the shot actually recommended against laminating it.

I took pics of mine and scanned to a pdf.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Upthread I asked whether anyone cared which vaccine they got and why. Appreciate all who answered.

I was just talking to my sister and she said something that I hadn't heard before. It's anecdotal, second hand and I'm highly skeptical but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

The claim is that someone she knew got the vaccine and was subsequently exposed to someone who tested positive.  Sisters friend calls the CDC (they're taking calls?) and in the course of conversation was told that all 3 vaccines will (to some extent) prevent you from getting Covid but Pfizer will also prevent you from transmitting it.

Like I said, sounds like BS to me, thoughts?

The whole point of vaccines as an epidemiological tool is to prevent the spread of disease.  The problem is scientists hate to "cowboy up" and say they're sure when there really isn't direct data yet to say.  For logistical reasons, that wasn't part of the clinical trials - it would require testing everyone regularly and their contacts!  So that doesn't get done, and we wait until enough people are vaccinated that we can look at whether the disease transmission rate actually drops.

Pfizer, which was used extensively in Israel, has some of the better data - but that doesn't mean that the J&J and Moderna don't, just that the returns aren't in yet.

I put some stuff on this up in the locked "Facts only" thread.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The whole point of vaccines as an epidemiological tool is to prevent the spread of disease.  The problem is scientists hate to "cowboy up" and say they're sure when there really isn't direct data yet to say.  For logistical reasons, that wasn't part of the clinical trials - it would require testing everyone regularly and their contacts!  So that doesn't get done, and we wait until enough people are vaccinated that we can look at whether the disease transmission rate actually drops.

Pfizer, which was used extensively in Israel, has some of the better data - but that doesn't mean that the J&J and Moderna don't, just that the returns aren't in yet.

I put some stuff on this up in the locked "Facts only" thread.

Thanks for the response and info, I respect your opinion. Any opinion wrt the believability of a CDC hotline making the claim that Pfizer would prevent me from getting it and prevent me from passing it along whereas Moderna and J&J wouldn't? 

For the record, I haven't gotten the vaccine, afaik I'm not yet eligible and frankly I'm in no rush to get it, quite the opposite.  My personal opinion is that the facts about the vaccines remain to be seen.  But don't confuse me with an anti-vaxxer. I'll get one of them, just trying to make an informed decision on which one

On 3/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

Got my good ole vaccination card!  Is anyone clear on whether we should laminate those or not?  I'm guessing they'll be used for different things moving forward, but the people who gave me the shot actually recommended against laminating it.

Staples is laminating them for free....

Staples will laminate your COVID vaccine card for free | Raleigh News & Observer

I laminated mine at work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Thanks for the response and info, I respect your opinion. Any opinion wrt the believability of a CDC hotline making the claim that Pfizer would prevent me from getting it and prevent me from passing it along whereas Moderna and J&J wouldn't? 

Not believable, IMO.  Although I suppose any hotline can get an individual who goes "off the reservation"

Here is the official word from the CDC:

At this time, we do not know if COVID-19 vaccination will have any effect on preventing transmission. Some people can be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 but remain asymptomatic.  It is important to know whether COVID-19 vaccines can help reduce the number of people that have asymptomatic infection as these people can unknowingly spread the virus to others.

CDC will further assess the effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines after they are approved or authorized for emergency use by FDA and recommended for public use. A special type of cohort study will try to answer the question about whether vaccinated persons can develop asymptomatic infections and spread the virus to others. People who agree to participate will be tested for COVID-19 every week, whether they have symptoms or not. Experts will then compare the proportion of people with infection who were vaccinated to the proportion of people with infection who were not vaccinated.

I'm really leary of putting too much information here because I don't want to back-door into a covid discussion thread.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Got my 1st yesterday at 9 a.m. Have sore shoulder today as if someone punched me in it hard. Also for me anyway, feels like I got the flu somewhat. Don't have the cold symptoms of the flu, but just the weak, tired feeling and whole body aches.

Anyways, that is my experience thus far. Hope it helps.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.