Getting my 1st Covid vaccination Tuesday

Chandler#81

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Wifee got the 1 single shot J&J TODAY -quite by luck. She was at Winn Dixie where they had a place set up. The lady asked if she has an appointment. Wife said ‘no, gotta get on line and make mine’. Lady said “I have 4 left. Sit down!l 🤣 Wonderful!

I’m getting the Moderna 1s t shot Tuesday cuz that’s what was offered.

My father in law - whose health is not good (especially lately) - is insistent on getting J&J because it's just one shot and he's worried about side effects. Reasonable concern IMO but it's delaying the process.

My mom was scheduled to get Pfizer. She had a significant health scare recently and doctors told her Pfizer was the 'good one'.  Through dumb luck - similar to your wife - she had an opportunity to get Moderna sooner so she jumped on it. I'd have waited a week for Pfizer based on doctors comments but tbh I'm not sure anyone knows which is or will be better so whatever. Glad she got vaccinated.

Good luck with yours, first Moderna shot was a non-event for my mom, hope the second goes as well and hope  same applies to you for both.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Biding my time ... I too, am too young. Everyone I know, seems to have received at least their first shot (somehow, someway). Who knows when I'll be eligible. Too many people in this damn state. My wife just became eligible due to a preexisting condition. I have my name on a few wait lists (in case people don't show). Meanwhile, I sit here w/ vax jealousy. I have a preference, but at this point, not sure it matters. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Biding my time ... I too, am too young. Everyone I know, seems to have received at least their first shot (somehow, someway). Who knows when I'll be eligible. Too many people in this damn state. My wife just became eligible due to a preexisting condition. I have my name on a few wait lists (in case people don't show). Meanwhile, I sit here w/ vax jealousy. I have a preference, but at this point, not sure it matters. 

We were too “young” when we signed up, but my wife learned my 93 year old mother can designate two “caregivers” in Georgia. There was no actual process to do that. She just went on line and signed up as such. Strangely, nobody ever even asked a single question! “Who are you caring for?”  Nope, nothing! We just got appointments, showed up and got the shots. I take her to doctor appts, took her groceries today, etc so it wasn’t bogus, but it seemed odd. 

They are just making it up as they go, and it will vary from state to state, attempt to attempt. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm curious whether anyone cares which vaccine they get. And if so why. 

For me it was being a bit uncomfortable with an emergent technology that manipulates your messengerRNA (although after nearly 40 years of drinking and smoking, does it really matter at this point:-). 

I went with the single dose J&J which is just an adenovirus. Had it Monday afternoon; rolled out of bed Tuesday morning and it felt uncannily like the morning after a football game. No soreness Wednesday but a bunch of chills and a little tired; nothing so bad that I couldn't go to work and then still manage to slog through a 5 mile hike with the dog in the evening.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

We were too “young” when we signed up, but my wife learned my 93 year old mother can designate two “caregivers” in Georgia. There was no actual process to do that. She just went on line and signed up as such. Strangely, nobody ever even asked a single question! “Who are you caring for?”  Nope, nothing! We just got appointments, showed up and got the shots. I take her to doctor appts, took her groceries today, etc so it wasn’t bogus, but it seemed odd. 

They are just making it up as they go, and it will vary from state to state, attempt to attempt. 

Not exactly the same, but kinda similar for me. My wife and I qualified here in NY. However, our appointments were me at 11:00 am, and her at 2:30 pm. We went to Batavia for the J&J vaccine. I showed up, and we asked if she could also get hers at the same time. No problem. They said as long as she was scheduled for that day, she could get it with me. When we went to show the workers our paperwork (since we're about 10 and 12 years under 65), they were like "We believe you, no need to see anything". 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

#metoo

I'm curious whether anyone cares which vaccine they get. And if so why. 

Personally I'm not in a rush to get vaccinated.  But very happy that my mom is only a few weeks away from the second dose (Moderna). 

As far as I know, you don't get a choice.  You take whatever is "on tap" at the facility where you go.

We got Pfizer.  2nd shot last Saturday.  About Tuesday/Wednesday, my wife noticed a lump in her collarbone area.  We were concerned till we found this article.  Now we'll just watch, and expect it to go away in a few weeks,   Our Doc confirms this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/health/covid-vaccine-lymph-nodes.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We got Pfizer.  2nd shot last Saturday.  About Tuesday/Wednesday, my wife noticed a lump in her collarbone area.  We were concerned till we found this article.  Now we'll just watch, and expect it to go away in a few weeks,   Our Doc confirms this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/health/covid-vaccine-lymph-nodes.html

Thanks for information.  One of my wife's workers had arm swell up after vaccine and her staff often go to her for questions since many of them do not read English.

Swelling was side effect too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

As far as I know, you don't get a choice.  You take whatever is "on tap" at the facility where you go.

Not sure what it's like by you, but it seems like a free for all by me. You get a choice in that you can choose the facility you get an appointment with. But getting an appointment has been a chore.  I'm on Long Island and one thing I've heard is that it's easier to get an appointment if you're willing to drive a few hours and get vaccinated upstate.

6 hours ago, Draconator said:

Not exactly the same, but kinda similar for me. My wife and I qualified here in NY. However, our appointments were me at 11:00 am, and her at 2:30 pm. We went to Batavia for the J&J vaccine. I showed up, and we asked if she could also get hers at the same time. No problem. They said as long as she was scheduled for that day, she could get it with me. When we went to show the workers our paperwork (since we're about 10 and 12 years under 65), they were like "We believe you, no need to see anything". 

Good for you!  

It seems that it is less about details, and more about controlling the chaos. Much like the hospitals couldn’t be overwhelmed, the vaccination sites have to be “managed” in a way that gets out as many shots as possible as quickly as possible to the people at the greatest risk. I like the stories about people walking thru a pharmacy and being asked “had your shots? We have a few left over.” Just get them out there! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

I was too young in my state (VA) to qualify. So, I searched CVS states and TX allowed my age range & out of state residents. The only state that met that criteria at the end of Feb. Found a CVS outside of Dallas taking appts. Got an inexpensive flight to DFW from RIC in the morning, got the vaccine, headed back to the airport and was back to VA late that afternoon. 
Because CVS is national, I was able to reschedule my 2nd vaccine for this Monday (22 Mar) at a CVS near me. It was important to me to be vaccinated. We are headed to Kauai in 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 5

Yes very important for Hawaii which has requirements for proof of vaccination even though not enough vaccinations for residents.

Had similar issues with shingles vaccinations with very few pharmacies having vaccination in stock and the ones which did were not accepting my insurance.

My wife again had shots before me but eventually a pharmacy which accepted my insurance had vaccination shots.

Shingles is also a double shot vaccination but a lot less political.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes very important for Hawaii which has requirements for proof of vaccination even though not enough vaccinations for residents.

Actually, Kauai is rescinding their extra travel restrictions because all of their residents have been vaccinated. Kauai will follow the general Hawaii guidelines effective April 5. We arrive April 7 so that works out great. 

• Like (+1) 3

My 16 year old son and I both qualified for the vaccine due to medical reasons.  Because my son is 16, Pfizer was the only option. We got our second shots 24 hours ago and so far so good - no major side effects beside sore arms and feeling a bit tired - hoping fever and body aches pass us by.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The state site near my house, if your appt is during the day, you get one of the two-shot vaccines, I think it's Moderna.  If you go overnight (they're open 24/7) you get the J&J one shot vaccine. 

I have had my vaccination scheduled since late January. I am scheduled to get my first shot March 30th. I had Covid in late November. I may back out of my appointment as I am probably safe for another couple months. 

Edited by Beast

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

I have had my vaccination scheduled since late January. I am scheduled to get my first shot March 30th. I had Covid in late November. I may back out of my appointment as I am probably safe for another couple months. 

OBVIOUSLY not my call and none of my business, but are your sure about that? I don’t think there is any consensus on how long you are “safe” with antibodies. Just one guy’s opinion, but if I had a chance to be vaccinated, I would take advantage of it.  

Curious what your reasoning would be to back out. My 93 year old mother was reluctant to get the shots because someone “more productive” could use it more. She felt guilty. No mom, you are not “guilty”, you are “the most vulnerable”.  She got the shots. I know a nurse who won’t get it, and others in the medical field (mostly doctors) who got it ASAP. We all have to make our own decisions for our own reasons.

Either way, best of luck to you!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.