Bears interested in Isaiah McKenzie

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

McKenzie has made it pretty clear he would like to come back... I just don’t think we’ve offered him that opportunity yet. 

We’re looking to do something different. 

There was a point where his Instagram relaxed a bit from clips showing him working out with a frenzy and doing 48" box jumps (!!!!).  He put up clips of himself salsa-dancing with a number of friends and at a houseparty.  At the same time Dion Dawkins put up a clip of himself salsa dancing during one of his workouts and captioned it "Gooo Goooooo Gadget!".

I think McKenzie may have received a minimal offer from the Bills at that point and been happy because it means his football career has a chance to continue....but I also think he's hoping for a better offer with a couple years and with some guarantees. 

My guess is that his offer from the Bills (if he has one) would have been a VSB offer, meaning the Bills pay him $0.99M salary with no more than $137.5 in additional bonuses, but the cap charge would only be $850k, and I think it would also have been made saying it's gonna be a chance to come into camp and compete, not "we see you having an increased role on ST and in our offense next year"

• Like (+1) 2

I want McKenzie to remain a Bill and return kicks and I want the Bills to draft a fast WR in the first three rounds and I want him to return punts.

Then.

Then, we will should have enough depth at WR to manage the long and arduous NFL season.

I gotta say it was telling however, that when Beasley and Smoke were down with injuries, Daboll could not plug McKenzie in there at all to replace either one of them.... Maybe it would be best for the Bills, to get back up WRs with more potential than McKenzie at this point?

IDK? Close call, McKenzie improved in his time in Buffalo and it is sort of nice knowing he is a veteran and a fast one at that.

As far as money goes, I say he needs to make 100,000 more to make a move to Chicago profitable. Otherwise, I think he is better off here....

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Bills scouts have met with several such players already, apparently.

Dazz Newsome, Jaelon Darden, and D’wayne Eskridge are some that I know of that the Bills have shown interest in.

They may well be looking to fill the returner/gadget role via cheap draft labor.

That's what I was thinking.

Don't know Darden, I'll have to check him out. Rondale Moore, maybe. 

One of three possible scenarios:

1. Bills made him an offer, likely a one year, and Bills told him come back to them if he gets an offer and wants to give Bills opportunity to match BUT Bills are also looking and if they sign another WR they will need to retract offer.
  2. Bills have not made him an offer and Bills told him come back to them if he gets an offer and wants to give Bills opportunity to match.
  3. Bills told him we needed to cut John Brown, let Roberts go and they are low on cap money. We appreciate your service but we are looking for a player who will be paid less than you deserve

There were injuries near end of season including to him but he did not play much although active in playoffs.  Perhaps his ankle was injured more than he let on and it is why he was barely utilized in those games and that worried Bills.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agree. 

McDermott stood up there and said we have full confidence that Isaiah McKenzie can play for Cole Beasley and run all Cole Beasley's routes if he can't go.  But when the cleats hit the astroturf, Cole Beasley with a broken leg and Gabe Davis with a badly sprained ankle got the nod above him.  That kinda says our confidence in him is limited and we want to open a space for a new guy to develop, IMO.

But I really like Isaiah and wanted the Bills to keep him.  I love that little punk, out there trash talking all our stars 24/7.

McKenzie got hurt late in the Miami game in Week 17. I don't think it was reported on very much because the team figured he'd work through it and not really miss much time, but his snaps were way down against Indy and Baltimore. They went back up a bit against KC. Seems like the entire WR group was playing hurt in the AFCCG. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

McKenzie got hurt late in the Miami game in Week 17. I don't think it was reported on very much because the team figured he'd work through it and not really miss much time, but his snaps were way down against Indy and Baltimore. They went back up a bit against KC. Seems like the entire WR group was playing hurt in the AFCCG. 

It was reported on, at least I knew he'd injured his ankle.  But he was listed as "full" in practice most of the next week, though you're right, he didn't play much against Indy.  But the week before Baltimore, Jerry Hughes said Isaiah McKenzie played Lamar Jackson on the Scout Team and it really helped them to have someone who was as fast or maybe faster back there during the week - so his ankle was evidently good enough for that.

I think you kind of put your finger on his Achilles Heel though, which is that "sticky" physical coverage (to use the euphemism) can take him away.

I really like the guy though and wish we could bring him back, but I would bet it would be on the same deal Hollister just got, and if McKenzie can get more then for his family and his future he should take it.

Look at the Lil' guy though.  He's like a freakin' anatomy lesson in shorts, and those arms, too.  Tell @Sherlock Holmes don't click here!

image.thumb.png.33413274e33e0cf8db3c18bce9e4c594.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was reported on, at least I knew he'd injured his ankle.  But he was listed as "full" in practice most of the next week, though you're right, he didn't play much against Indy.  But the week before Baltimore, Jerry Hughes said Isaiah McKenzie played Lamar Jackson on the Scout Team and it really helped them to have someone who was as fast or maybe faster back there during the week - so his ankle was evidently good enough for that.

I think you kind of put your finger on his Achilles Heel though, which is that "sticky" physical coverage (to use the euphemism) can take him away.

I really like the guy though and wish we could bring him back, but I would bet it would be on the same deal Hollister just got, and if McKenzie can get more then for his family and his future he should take it.

Look at the Lil' guy though.  He's like a freakin' anatomy lesson in shorts, and those arms, too.  Tell @Sherlock Holmes don't click here!

image.thumb.png.33413274e33e0cf8db3c18bce9e4c594.png

Look at that definition in his leg muscles...thank you for wearing those short shorts:worthy:

12 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I’d very much like Beane to figure out a way to keep him...or upgrade. Not sure about the latter at this point unless they have someone pegged in the draft. 

Perhaps Rondale Moore?

Just saw a blurb somewhere (can’t find it now) that compared Moore to Steve Smith. 

Steve Smith (formerly Carolina Panther).......................McDermott/Beane Carolina connection

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ColeB said:

Perhaps Rondale Moore?

Just saw a blurb somewhere (can’t find it now) that compared Moore to Steve Smith. 

Steve Smith (formerly Carolina Panther).......................McDermott/Beane Carolina connection

Definitely seems to be the same type of player.  I’m not too familiar with him. 

17 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Great point, but there’s also part of me that thinks our roster is too good to put a rookie out there returning kicks. You never know how a guy is going to react at this level. There’s something about that position that make rookies scare me. The importance of kick returns have diminished due to rule changes, and you’re most likely to notice the returner only when he makes a mistake. Rookies tend to make a lot of them, I’d hate to lose a game that way. 

Bolded is true for KO’s but punts are still a wide open free for all.

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I see no reason they wouldn't give up Mack for a free agent.

🤣 Me either!🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Yea McKenzie was hurt in the playoffs. He was on the injury report although didn't miss games. 

8 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Look at that definition in his leg muscles...thank you for wearing those short shorts:worthy:

Isaiah is hawt.

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

One of three possible scenarios:

1. Bills made him an offer, likely a one year, and Bills told him come back to them if he gets an offer and wants to give Bills opportunity to match BUT Bills are also looking and if they sign another WR they will need to retract offer.
  2. Bills have not made him an offer and Bills told him come back to them if he gets an offer and wants to give Bills opportunity to match.
  3. Bills told him we needed to cut John Brown, let Roberts go and they are low on cap money. We appreciate your service but we are looking for a player who will be paid less than you deserve

There were injuries near end of season including to him but he did not play much although active in playoffs.  Perhaps his ankle was injured more than he let on and it is why he was barely utilized in those games and that worried Bills.

I think it is number 1. The same happened last year. He didn't sign back until 30 March last year after seeing whether anything better arose those first two weeks of FA.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Bolded is true for KO’s but punts are still a wide open free for all.

🤣 Me either!🤷‍♂️

I agree with your assessment of punt returns, although I didn’t even think about that. That’s all the more reason why I hope to find a reliable return man. I’d rather have a dependable, yet unspectacular return man, over an inexperienced rookie with home run hitter potential. I’m good with drafting a guy for his future ability to be our return man, but I think our current roster is too good let a rookie field kicks. A McKelvin situation isn’t what you want on a team with hopes of contending. 

Edited by SirAndrew