Ro-ro for "Right Josh" Rosen

On 3/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, Doc said:

Rosen would have sucked no matter where he went, and that's coming from someone who really wanted him in the 2018 draft and was pissed they took Elite Josh instead (and am thankful I was wrong).  I'm not sure how many teams you need to be on to finally show you're worth something.

And anyone thinking Josh waltzed-into a great situation with the Bills should look at that 2018 offensive roster.  That was quite possibly one of the worst offenses the Bills have ever had.  Yet it didn't ruin Josh nor did he use it as an excuse for his performance.

My order of preference was:

1) Darnold

2) Allen

3) Mayfield

4) Rosen

I gave Rosen little to no chance of being good. While Darnold was my choice, I was thrilled when they drafted Allen.  I suppose that I should, but I don't have an ounce of sympathy for Rosen, the poor little rich boy with the big mouth.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

How history looks when you really don’t know what you have. The draft is a huge crapshoot.

This is true. I am thankful that we no longer have people handling our draft that are consistently stupid, worse than a 13 year old kid with a copy of Pro Football Weekly. 

On 3/18/2021 at 4:29 PM, The Red King said:

Top-ten overall pick.  From a cocky comment about making other teams regret passing on him in the draft, to flaming out as even a backup in just a handful of years.

Just...wow...

Just wondering though do you think it could be because of the way he was handled ? The dude hasn't caught a break as far as coaching or stability goes we all know how bad that can be on a QB's development especially being Bills fans .

I think the guy has what it takes but he just needs to settle down under a stable coaching staff and give him a O line that can protect him & a scheme with the time to learn it and he might be a good NFL QB but we may never know .

I always thought BB & the Pats would be a good landing place for him as far as developing his skills .

2 minutes ago, T master said:

Just wondering though do you think it could be because of the way he was handled ? The dude hasn't caught a break as far as coaching or stability goes we all know how bad that can be on a QB's development especially being Bills fans .

I think the guy has what it takes but he just needs to settle down under a stable coaching staff and give him a O line that can protect him & a scheme with the time to learn it and he might be a good NFL QB but we may never know .

I always thought BB & the Pats would be a good landing place for him as far as developing his skills.

A good QB will shine through and make his coaches look better.  Rosen doesn’t have what it takes and 3 teams have already given up on him, 2 of them giving him a real chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Rosen ran out of excuses a long time ago.  Arizona saw enough of him to move him before his trade value went down to zero after 1 year.  Miami gave him a chance & decided he was bad enough to draft Tua.  Then after Miami cut him no team, after seeing his 2 years in the NFL, wanted him & he ended up on Tampa's practice squad where he stayed until SF was running low on QBs & signed him without so much of a whimper from Tampa Bay.  

Now look at Josh Allen: I think it's safe to say I don't know what rookie would have been successful in Buffalo.  His O-line & WRs had to be as bad as Arizona's if not worse.  At least Arizona had Larry Fitzgerald.  Our Josh had virtually no receivers with Robert Foster coming off the practice squad to be Josh's top receiver. What has Foster done since?  Still as a rookie Josh Allen helped will the team to 5 wins in 11 starts.  He made no excuses, came back with better players his 2nd season & immediately led the Bills to their best record in many years.  By year 3, in spite of the rookie hardships, Josh Allen became a top 5 QB in the entire league.  

Josh Rosen was just another good college player who isn't good enough to make it, even as a quality backup, in the NFL.  He isn't the 1st & he won't be the last, he just isn't meant for NFL football.  Nothing wrong with that.  A lot of good college players never get to start a single game in the NFL and still have a good enough resume to get a leg up on a lot of post football jobs.  Josh Rosen will probably have a long successful career.  It just won't be as a football player.  

This is such a great post. One think about Allen is he has never whined about his situation and has always been the first to take the blame. He has been pretty much been doubted his whole career even so much into two seasons of the Nfl. Those of us who actually watched the games instead of stat line or highlights could see  something special. 

You can go to a Miami message board today and still find the posters who believe he will fall from grace this season. That last season was an outlier. I don’t buy the comparisons to situation like a Wentz because he has gradually been accsending each season.

At some point that will hit a flatline and maybe we have seen his best or maybe we will see even more . No doubt where he is now is more than enough to be our franchise. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, Kwai San said:

And just THINK of the number of posters on THIS board who swore up and down Rosen was the better Josh.........

Fans being fans, a very high percentage of us  know a lot less than we pretend to know, this as you all know includes me... 😁👍 although I can honestly say I was happy with the JA pick, for me there was just things about Mayfield and Rosen that I didn’t care for, I thought that JA and LJ would end up the best two, so far my W A G has held up so far... I get lucky once a year or two...😁

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/21/2021 at 12:38 PM, Beerball said:

Mayfield is a much better QB than Johnny.

It’s funny to see so many people on this board massively underrate Mayfield.  Three offensive systems in three years and no preseason games or offseason to speak of in 2020 to learn the last one.  Early in the season he was awful and it looked bad for him, but by the second half he was ranking among the best in the league.  2021 will be the first time he’s been in the same system two straight seasons and it should give people a good idea of how good he is.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

A good QB will shine through and make his coaches look better.  Rosen doesn’t have what it takes and 3 teams have already given up on him, 2 of them giving him a real chance. 

I knew it was official that he busted out when he didn’t get a chance from teams like NE or Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

I know Az. had no O line per say to give him any time the kid got his brains beat out while trying to learn the system not o mention the changing of HC's and the scheme so i don't really see that was being a good start .

Not real sure of the Miami thing but he was still learning that scheme and still pretty much a rookie in some senses since then i have lost where he is now but if those are the chances you mean I'm not thinking they were all that good almost like EJ did while he was here . 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Which is exactly what Allen did his rookie year.  Allen stepped into an offense every bit as bad and maybe even worse then the offense Rosen stepped into.  On top of that Allen's training camp and preseason were not handled well as he took very few first team reps.

Yet in spite of this you can fill a 20 minute highlight video of amazing plays Allen made as a rookie.  Sure you can match that with a video showing his bone head plays and hero ball. But under the circumstances it was the highlights that mattered and a lot of us knew we had the right guy after that rookie season.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

My order of preference was:

1) Darnold

2) Allen

3) Mayfield

4) Rosen

I gave Rosen little to no chance of being good. While Darnold was my choice, I was thrilled when they drafted Allen.  I suppose that I should, but I don't have an ounce of sympathy for Rosen, the poor little rich boy with the big mouth.

This is true. I am thankful that we no longer have people handling our draft that are consistently stupid, worse than a 13 year old kid with a copy of Pro Football Weekly. 

Not going to lie, Mayfield was my preference.   But I cant agree with you on Rosen more.   He came off as entitled during the process.

Add the entitlement to the film, and I dont know how anyone can be surprised he didnt pan out.   If you watched more than one game he was an absolute statue in the pocket, had no lateral movement which is essential, took tons of sacks and really didnt have elite arm strength.   The talking heads did a great job of selling the "Most Pro-Ready/Great Technique" thing leading up to the draft, but man was he overhyped.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

My preference order at the time:

Allen

Mayfield

Darnold

Rudolph

Jackson

Rosen.

I had Rosen off my list completely.

If I’m being honest....I did not like any of them.  Once they picked Allen I was ok with him.  I would have also been ok with Darnold or Mayfield but not thrilled about any.  I would have been ok with Jackson with our second pick in the first as it was clear he would be there.

At this point I’m thrilled with Allen and would be ok with Jackson or Mayfield.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

A “real chance” isn’t playing for the cardinals (and their OL) and the Dolphins (with their OL).  He had no chance in either spot.  

I’m not saying he’s going to be good, it’s looking like his career is over, but his “2 real chances”, were really only chances to fail. 

3 hours ago, T master said:

I always thought BB & the Pats would be a good landing place for him as far as developing his skills .

Oh, I agree.  We'll never know how some QBs would have turned out had they gone elsewhere instead.  I'm just stunned that he hit this point, this fast.  I figure some team hurting at QB would have taken a chance on him as a potential starter, but after only a few years he can't even find work as a backup?

2 hours ago, T master said:

I know Az. had no O line per say to give him any time the kid got his brains beat out while trying to learn the system not o mention the changing of HC's and the scheme so i don't really see that was being a good start .

Not real sure of the Miami thing but he was still learning that scheme and still pretty much a rookie in some senses since then i have lost where he is now but if those are the chances you mean I'm not thinking they were all that good almost like EJ did while he was here . 

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A “real chance” isn’t playing for the cardinals (and their OL) and the Dolphins (with their OL).  He had no chance in either spot.  

I’m not saying he’s going to be good, it’s looking like his career is over, but his “2 real chances”, were really only chances to fail. 

As CBF said, Josh was put in a worse situation than Rosen.  The Bills' OL had just lost their 2 best players in Wood and Incognito (and couldn't do much to remedy it given the cap situation) and he had crap at receiver and TE.  Yet the Bills decided to build around him whereas the Cardinals were likely talked-out of sticking with Rosen by Kingsbury after watching film, despite spending a 1st rounder on him.  Likewise, the Dols had nothing else at QB and traded a 2nd rounder for him, and still moved on.  I'm not sure how many more chances you give a guy before you declare him a bust.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1