I absolutely HATE our team’s focus on Special Teams

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Rams traded Marcus Peters last year and kept 3rd string RB John Kelly.  That means the Rams value a 3rd string RB and special teamer more than an All Pro corner.

The Pats traded Chandler Jones but kept Matthew Slater.  Therefore the Pats care more about a Special Teamer more than an All Pro pass rusher.

You see how this works?

I gave you a "thumbs-up" because I thought you were being sarcastic.

If you're serious...that's as wrong as saying we traded Teller to keep Matakevich.

Trading Marcus Peters in NO way was influenced by whether they wanted to keep Kelly. If they could have kept and paid Peters, now that might have influenced them not keeping Kelly, (or maybe they cut some other scrub.)

Obviously the same for Jones and Slater. As good on ST as Slater was  - and some deem him HOF worthy (*cough* WTF is Tasker then? *cough*), no one was keeping him over prime Chandler Jones, including BB.

I hope your point was to agree with @ytownblofan that the ST *only* players don't take anyone else's spot. No one the team thinks will see the field on a regular basis for playing or development is cut for ST players. But when it comes to keeping someone who the team THINKS won't see the field, ever, better to keep someone who will and can influence potentially critical parts of the game.

(Emphasis on thinks in regard to the Teller discussion. As above posts, that was (arguably) an error in talent judgement. Not a decision to keep a ST player over him. He was going because we had the OL we thought we needed and he wouldn't play and could get us a pick in return. If there were another person who they thought WOULD/COULD play on offense or defense, they would likely have taken Teller's spot on the 53 before a ST. Since there wasn't...again, may as well fill it with someone who can play.)

I guess the argument would be who is more important to the team's success, a third QB or a third RB vs a ST player? It's a risk either way, but you're more likely to find a replacement RB that can learn a few blocks or "run through that hole in this game" then a premier ST player who knows the formations, blocking schemes, and is good at it.

27 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

I gave you a "thumbs-up" because I thought you were being sarcastic.

If you're serious...that's as wrong as saying we traded Teller to keep Matakevich.

Trading Marcus Peters in NO way was influenced by whether they wanted to keep Kelly. If they could have kept and paid Peters, now that might have influenced them not keeping Kelly, (or maybe they cut some other scrub.)

Obviously the same for Jones and Slater. As good on ST as Slater was  - and some deem him HOF worthy (*cough* WTF is Tasker then? *cough*), no one was keeping him over prime Chandler Jones, including BB.

I hope your point was to agree with @ytownblofan that the ST *only* players don't take anyone else's spot. No one the team thinks will see the field on a regular basis for playing or development is cut for ST players. But when it comes to keeping someone who the team THINKS won't see the field, ever, better to keep someone who will and can influence potentially critical parts of the game.

(Emphasis on thinks in regard to the Teller discussion. As above posts, that was (arguably) an error in talent judgement. Not a decision to keep a ST player over him. He was going because we had the OL we thought we needed and he wouldn't play and could get us a pick in return. If there were another person who they thought WOULD/COULD play on offense or defense, they would likely have taken Teller's spot on the 53 before a ST. Since there wasn't...again, may as well fill it with someone who can play.)

I guess the argument would be who is more important to the team's success, a third QB or a third RB vs a ST player? It's a risk either way, but you're more likely to find a replacement RB that can learn a few blocks or "run through that hole in this game" then a premier ST player who knows the formations, blocking schemes, and is good at it.

I was being sarcastic.

The OP made a statement that the Bills care more about Mo Alexander, a special teams depth linebacker than an All Pro offensive lineman.

The reason, we kept Alexander and traded Teller.

• Like (+1) 1