I absolutely HATE our team’s focus on Special Teams

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

Yea Man and why do we only activate only 2 RBs on game days? And why do they both somehow look like versions of the 37yr old Frank Gore. Why? Lol.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Why does it matter that it is a running back rather than a kicker or a WR? The Bills are a pass heavy team. How often have they given 3 different backs carries in the same game since McDermott has been here? I'd venture not many. 3rd running back dressed on gameday is as "bottom of the roster" as it gets in Buffalo. 

Mostly if not all teams in the NFL activate 3 useable bks on game days even the passing teams. We're the only team that doesn't.

A weird thing to be mad at as a lot of teams carry three RB's with the 3rd strength guy being a Special Teams Ace.  I was more ticked off when we carried two kickers because Carpenter couldn't kick the ball far enough.

BTW....what unit was on the field when the two most heartbreaking plays in Bills history occurred?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Mostly if not all teams in the NFL activate 3 useable bks on game days even the passing teams. We're the only team that doesn't.

That wasn't the question. How many times in the McDermott era have 3 backs touched the ball on offense in the same game? In 2019 I seem to remember games where we only dressed two backs. 3rd running back on this team is a back of the roster position.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

That wasn't the question. How many times in the McDermott era have 3 backs touched the ball on offense in the same game? In 2019 I seem to remember games where we only dressed two backs. 3rd running back on this team is a back of the roster position.

We do only use 2 backs for the majority of the time Mcd been here and we haven't been a passing team that whole time either. Maybe a couple gms in 2019 we used all 3 , Singletary, Gore and Yeldon but to be honest I can't remember even that. 

I'll tell u what I play alot of Fantasy and I have 4 tvs going on Sundays nearly all NFL teams activate and play 3 running Bks . I miss the days of the workhorses that seems to be disappearing in today's game.

There's alot of reasons for teams using the committee approach and most of them are valid but in my opinion I believe using 1 workhorse gives the player a chance to get into a rythem . I hope we can find a back that's so much better then the rest that he stays on the field for 70/80% of the plays . A true 3 down back that only comes out when he's tired. I really believe the Bills are 1 bk away from competing for the Superbowl we need to complete are big 3 of the 2020s .

U can call me old school if u like but I loved watching Kelly, Thurman & Reed as well as others terriorise the rest of the NFL along with other big 3s like the Colts with Peyton, Edge & Harrison or the Cowboys with Aikman , Emmitt & Irvin. We're 1 player away and I don't see him on this roster yet. Hopefully we find our guy this off-season.

• Vomit 1

46 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

how many of “mostly if not all” teams went 13-3 or better last year chief?

16 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I'll tell u what I play alot of Fantasy and I have 4 tvs going on Sundays nearly all NFL teams activate and play 3 running Bks . I miss the days of the workhorses that seems to be disappearing in today's game.

There's alot of reasons for teams using the committee approach and most of them are valid but in my opinion I believe using 1 workhorse gives the player a chance to get into a rythem . I hope we can find a back that's so much better then the rest that he stays on the field for 70/80% of the plays . A true 3 down back that only comes out when he's tired. I really believe the Bills are 1 bk away from competing for the Superbowl we need to complete are big 3 of the 2020s .

U can call me old school if u like but I loved watching Kelly, Thurman & Reed as well as others terriorise the rest of the NFL along with other big 3s like the Colts with Peyton, Edge & Harrison or the Cowboys with Aikman , Emmitt & Irvin. We're 1 player away and I don't see him on this roster yet. Hopefully we find our guy this off-season.

i’d venture a guess based on this post that you haven’t won a fantasy league in at least 10 years.

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

We do only use 2 backs for the majority of the time Mcd been here and we haven't been a passing team that whole time either. Maybe a couple gms in 2019 we used all 3 , Singletary, Gore and Yeldon but to be honest I can't remember even that. 

Exactly. So the third back dressed is a bottom of the roster player. No different to the 5th corner or the 6th receiver. On this team those are special teams spots.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

One of the chief differences is that those SB teams were really before widespread free agency............a time when players were really tied to teams for a very long time so it was easier to develop talent from within.    I think back then first round picks were on 6-7 year deals.   If the team drafted you they weren't going to put you in bubble wrap because you *might* be good on offense or defense like they have to now.........they didn't have to.......you were under control for so long that you had to play special teams.  

Now, those roster spots are like your farm system.......you really want them more for drafting and developing.   It's a choice teams have to make.    The Bills dedicate more ST only positions and $ than most.......if not more than any.

That makes total sense.

I don't know if you remember this but I recall one season after he retired where the team was getting trounced week after week. We had no quarterback and even less blocking. The defense also needed lots of work. Levy was asked in an interview what he thought was wrong with the Bills and he said that "they needed help on special teams." 😲🙂

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

how many of “mostly if not all” teams went 13-3 or better last year chief?

i’d venture a guess based on this post that you haven’t won a fantasy league in at least 10 years.

Ok Chief, actually I won 10 comibined across 3 leagues so that's that. 

Btw I didn't know the Bills can take there record with them into the following season. If u don't make adjustments the league will make adjustments to u. Obviously the Chiefs found something that worked very well vs us and other teams will follow suit . What will we do to combat that? Also I can name u a laundry list of teams that went 12-4 and 13-3 only to fall the following season . I'm not saying that's gonna happen to us but I believe McBeane doesn't go into every meeting saying we went 13-3 so we're good . 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here I appreciate it DoughBoy88 . We are blessed to learn from such an astoute Bills fan. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

The Patriots. Case closed. End thread.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Ok Chief, actually I won 10 comibined across 3 leagues so that's that. 

Btw I didn't know the Bills can take there record with them into the following season. If u don't make adjustments the league will make adjustments to u. Obviously the Chiefs found something that worked very well vs us and other teams will follow suit . What will we do to combat that? Also I can name u a laundry list of teams that went 12-4 and 13-3 only to fall the following season . I'm not saying that's gonna happen to us but I believe McBeane doesn't go into every meeting saying we went 13-3 so we're good . 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here I appreciate it DoughBoy88 . We are blessed to learn from such an astoute Bills fan. 

Lol okay you’re mad mad. First, as far as your fantasy record, I don’t believe you.

Second, that next paragraph is such a word salad I don’t even know what you’re trying to say. Have a cup of coffee or something and come back later.

Third, I don’t know who doughboy88 is?? 🤔. Maybe the number caused you to make the connection but maybe stop listening to those voices inside your head so much.

Edited by JoPoy88

14 hours ago, FireChans said:

Please count how many snaps per game are played on special teams vs offense and defense.

Thanks for playing. “Third of the game” is another tired dead cliche repeated by meat head boomer head coaches. 

Look at the momentum- changing potential of special teams plays: change of possession, field position 

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Only 4 teams made the Conference Championships, so seems to have worked out OK for us... 🤣  :beer:

The importance of special-teams has nothing to do with the amount of snaps taken relative to the office and the defense whatsoever. It has to do with the impact special teams have on the game. There are more than a few games when the importance of special-teams is more than 1/3.  Other games it’s much less. But you can’t underestimate the importance. Two or three special teams plays in a game can have more than 1/3 effect on the outcome. To me this is basic football and not particularly debatable which renders the premise of this thread null and void. 

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The premise of this thread is ridiculous, but special teams is DEFINITELY not 1/3 of the game. It’s more like 10-15 percent. That phrase is probably the dumbest thing Marv ever said.

When you factor kickoffs, punts and FG attempts it probably is no more than 15% of a game...probably less for the Bills now because they rarely punt.

But those play a crucial role in field position a lot of times which have a direct correlation to points allowed or points scored on average so it is pretty important.