I absolutely HATE our team’s focus on Special Teams

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The thing is it's not that easy to figure out.  Spotrac/OTC have positional breakdowns for ST but that is just P/K/LS.

Teams have ST players but they are in different positions.  T. Jones for instance is a RB.

Yeah... I had to go back and forth between Spotrac and PFR snap counts to break down those two Pats (2018 and 2016) and the Chiefs (2020). If there’s an easier way to see it... I would love it haha.

But I think I’m going to have to go and do it manually because I can’t find the combination of the two... but if @BADOLBILZhas a link somewhere with that information combined it would be huge. 

• Agree 1

So then your saying hire a bunch of hacks that can't cover and the opposition on every kick can run it back for a TD because we don't have any one to cover them & the punter shanks every other punt so the other team has awesome field position .

🤔  Makes total sense Oh and the place kicker screw him any one can kick a field goal it's only 20 yds !! 

I'll trust Beane and McD's opinion over yours sorry it takes all 3 phases of the game to win convincingly if needed at some point in the season .

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah... I had to go back and forth between Spotrac and PFR snap counts to break down those two Pats (2018 and 2016) and the Chiefs (2020). If there’s an easier way to see it... I would love it haha.

But I think I’m going to have to go and do it manually because I can’t find the combination of the two... but if @BADOLBILZhas a link somewhere with that information combined it would be huge. 

I'm going to guess Baldo made it up.

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

You have an opinion. Wow.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm going to guess Baldo made it up.

I’d like to make it clear that I don’t think he made anything up... I would just like to know where the information came from. 

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe he's referring to Taiwan, Tyler M and Roberts last year.  All those guys can play other positions, they are just last on your depth chart.

I "can" also play RB, I would just suck at it.

• Shocked 1

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

Go away with this 🗑

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you ever ponder why they call it a serial killer?  Like you just don't understand how multiple murders and breakfast food go together for that term?

One of the many TBD'ers that likely doesn't actually watch football.  Or eat serial.   :beer:

Edited by Heitz

This post is just stupid... 1 year ago you were probably the guy bitching about how  bad our special teams were. Go complain about your gas or electric bill to someone if you are looking for a grievance. Jesus, what is your alternative idea and plan for Bills special teams? if you are so freaking smart what would you do and why? Also, how are you going to back up your why with data? Just asking.

HAHAHAHAH,,,, Someone pee in your cheerios.   I guess when you become coach--- you can get id of special teams,

I mean with the exception of Tyler Matakevich (who we have yet to see his restructured contract), where are we "Dedicating" a ton of money to?

LS: $1.14 Million (for a guy who's name you hope you never hear)

K: $826k

P: $1.5 Million

Taiwan Jones 2021 contract details don't seem to be out

Did I miss something? Because Tyler Matakevich appears to currently be the only ST ace making over $1.5 Million (and that might not be true) and he is a backup ILB

Edited by Rk_Bills86
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We were 28th last year without a rookie kicker.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/2020/special/

Not sure what you are looking at.  For 2020 it has Bass included.  This is only the P,K, and LS.  Which are cheap because Bass is on a rookie deal with some kickers making 6-7 times as much as he does.   This is not a true reflection of spend on STs.  It has Bills spending $2.38M.  Matakevich alone was $2.75 M in guaranteed salary.  Roberts was $1.3M. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not sure what you are looking at.  For 2020 it has Bass included.  This is only the P,K, and LS.  Which are cheap because Bass is on a rookie deal with some kickers making 6-7 times as much as he does.   This is not a true reflection of spend on STs.  It has Bills spending $2.38M.  Matakevich alone was $2.75 M in guaranteed salary.  Roberts was $1.3M. 

I got the year mixed up.  2018, we were 14th with a non-rookie kicker.

Matakevich and Roberts both play other positions.  Roberts was our 6th WR and Matkevich is a 3rd string linebacker.  That where they are listed.

Most 3rd string players don't make the team if they can't special teams.  For whatever reason, fans have problems with us doing it when every single NFL team does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1