I absolutely HATE our team’s focus on Special Teams

42 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I dunno. I don't like spending roster spots on special teams players that can only do one thing.  IMO there should only be four players on the team that only have one job. Kicker, punter, long snapper and starting QB. Taiwan Jones is a special teams gunner and that's all. There's NOBODY else out there that can do that and also competently play a position? It's not like Jones is knocking it out of the box in a Steve Taskeresque way as a gunner either.

Guys like Jones are so far down on the depth chart and they would not be seeing the field unless it were for special teams. That’s how it is for literally every other roster in the league. I don’t see the point on nit picking things like this. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We can't use the Patriots.  We can't use the dollar amount spent.

What can we use?

I'm not actually sure... let me ask! I didn't know when I entered this thread I entered totalitarian regime... 

@FireChansis there any chance you could provide us with some clarity on what we can use here? Or are you just determined to make rules that make you right no matter what?

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

I sort of get where you come from. Less about the $$, more about the positional flexibility, for me. I would prefer to sign and pay guys that can play ST and offense or defense. 

just not worth it, IMO, to activate guys like Taiwan and Roberts, who provide nothing for you on offense, but eat up a game day roster spot. I’d rather have a bit of a drop off in ST talent for someone that provides more flexibility.  That’s why I was hoping we would sign  a guy like Burkhead rather that Tawain— Burkhead can get you meaningful touches on offense too. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Please count how many snaps per game are played on special teams vs offense and defense.

Thanks for playing. “Third of the game” is another tired dead cliche repeated by meat head boomer head coaches. 

Scott Norwood thanks you for forgetting...  Really, it meant nothing, nothing at all. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Please count how many snaps per game are played on special teams vs offense and defense.

Thanks for playing. “Third of the game” is another tired dead cliche repeated by meat head boomer head coaches. 

Another fine example of the failure of our modern educational system.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Guys like Jones are so far down on the depth chart and they would not be seeing the field unless it were for special teams. That’s how it is for literally every other roster in the league. I don’t see the point on nit picking things like this. 

The issue is having multiple O and D guys who are pretty un-playable at anything other than ST on the active roster every week.   That part is tolerable........but the Bills have also paid a premium to get them in UFA in recent years.   When you tie up 3-4 spots on vets who just play ST you limit your ability to develop players who can replace those that depart in UFA.   That's where $2M too much for a ST only guy turns into having to pay $10M for a weak side LB because you didn't have one on a rookie contract ready to step in.         

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

Lmao...Desmond Howard was Super Bowl MVP as a ST player.  

Another priceless but useless TSW hot take 🤣😂🤣

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

The issue is having multiple O and D guys who are pretty un-playable at anything other than ST on the active roster every week.   That part is tolerable........but the Bills have also paid a premium to get them in UFA in recent years.   When you tie up 3-4 spots on vets who just play ST you limit your ability to develop players who can replace those that depart in UFA.   That's where $2M too much for a ST only guy turns into having to pay $10M for a weak side LB because you didn't have one on a rookie contract ready to step in.         

Maurice Alexander (yes he’s a real person) vs Wyatt Teller.

Game, blouses.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lmao...Desmond Howard was Super Bowl MVP as a ST player.  

Another priceless but useless TSW hot take 🤣😂🤣

Going back 25 years to make a point about the modern NFL >>>>

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, uninja said:

I’d rather look at teams like NE, Ravens and the Chiefs that have always had a good emphasis on special teams as teams you want to model yourself against. 

Good ST helps you win games. Bad ST can definitely lose you some games, see the Chargers as a terrific example of that. 

This is it- we won't win many games based on special but you can certainly lose them. Mckelvin comes to mind along with the NE game in 2019 with the blocked punt.

• Like (+1) 1

• Like (+1) 1