I absolutely HATE our team’s focus on Special Teams

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

Firechan....

Down graded punter...

Restructured Matekevich....

Went w rookie kicker last year....

Let pricey but good KR walk....

What are you blathering about?

We retained Taiwan Jones and FireChans world is ending.  Crying about special teams spending is like worrying about an aphid infestation when you have a meteor the size of Texas (i.e., budding QB controversy) hurtling towards you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Jauronimo said:

We retained Taiwan Jones and FireChans world is ending.  Crying about special teams spending is like worrying about an aphid infestation when you have a meteor the size of Texas (i.e., budding QB controversy) hurtling towards you. 

Fair analogy

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

Yes. The New England Patriots.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Matthew Slater has 3 Super Bowl rings and 3 contract extensions.  

Please. You are insulting his intelligence. 

He disqualified the use of the Patriots in this argument. Even though it was after he was proven wrong... he still laid out clear rules!

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yes. The New England Patriots.

GunnerBill... you can't use the Patriots!

He said so after the fact!

Just now, Jauronimo said:

You are sleeping on Jake Fromm. 

I remember a day 3 noodle armed AFC East QB coming into his second season and taking a team ready to contend to a Super Bowl championship.

58 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

What money. They signed a punter less than their inconsistent punter would have cost, have a rookie contract kicker and a long snapper. 

also you MIGHT want to go see NE Slater when talking about SB 

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Can we please stop living 30 years in the past?

”Granted the league was completely different, the rules were completely different, the strategy was completely different and the coaches were even stupider than they were today.”

So basically, who cares?

So you're saying the Bills should fire Chan?

• Haha (+1) 2

The Patriots are operating like the 2000's Bills.  The Bills like the 2000's Patriots.  Signing a vetran wr, backup qb and a punter while NE paid millions for average players.  Buffalo needs are limited and with good drafting they are improved.  

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Please. You are insulting his intelligence. 

He disqualified the use of the Patriots in this argument. Even though it was after he was proven wrong... he still laid out clear rules!

GunnerBill... you can't use the Patriots!

He said so after the fact!

We can't use the Patriots.  We can't use the dollar amount spent.

What can we use?

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I actually totally agree with you.........and all these veteran single purpose players block developmental roster spots as well......... but I gave you a thumbs down because you were on a roll.........the broadest set of negative reactions ever........well done.:thumbsup:

Of all the worthless threads this is up there. Every team has a couple core special teams guys. Taiwan has some speed it’s not like they CANT use him on offense they just choose not to. I’m not gonna butcher the linebackers name Tyler M lol but even he played decent in spot duty. We let Roberts who can’t contribute on offense go, signed a punter who knows which way the laces face on kicks. 
Feels like you’re crying just for attention and the sake of trying to be negative. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Yeah except one of the problems is while the rule changes intended to eliminate returns, teams quickly figured out we can instead kick them short and deep and pin the team in on kickoffs.  Well unless you have poor ST play then maybe you don't pin them in that well.

Yup the 2 1/2 we signed are breaking the bank.  Well I guess 3 1/2 if you count the punter.  I suppose we could ask Bass to punt left footed to save his kicking leg.  That would save some $$.

From the responses so far sounds like it's only upsetting to you BTW!