I absolutely HATE our team’s focus on Special Teams

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 7
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 19
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Dislike 25

I know I always yelled wtf when Roberts busted a nice return, and threw my beer across the room when we stuffed the other team inside it’s own 15 yd line to start their drive after we just scored TD, I mean that’s obviously no way to prevent any momentum shift to your opponent! 
good lord!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 10

How old are you?  You do know that the Bills made it to the SB 4 yrs in a row?  Who was our most successful coach of all time?  I'll give you a hint - he started as a ST coach.

Granted, this was before the cap era, but the effort & emphasis was definitely there, and this was at a time w/ smaller rosters.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, eSJayDee said:

How old are you?  You do know that the Bills made it to the SB 4 yrs in a row?  Who was our most successful coach of all time?  I'll give you a hint - he started as a ST coach.

Granted, this was before the cap era, but the effort & emphasis was definitely there, and this was at a time w/ smaller rosters.

Can we please stop living 30 years in the past?

”Granted the league was completely different, the rules were completely different, the strategy was completely different and the coaches were even stupider than they were today.”

So basically, who cares?

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

Kickoffs and punts are plays that have the largest yardage swing in one play.  It pays to be good at them.  

I love when we force a team to start inside their 20, or when our punt team swings the field position in our favor.  

Many of the best ST players often start as cheap backups and then earn the right to modest contracts.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I’d rather look at teams like NE, Ravens and the Chiefs that have always had a good emphasis on special teams as teams you want to model yourself against. 

Good ST helps you win games. Bad ST can definitely lose you some games, see the Chargers as a terrific example of that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1