I absolutely HATE our team’s focus on Special Teams

Marv Levy emphasized special teams. That brought us Steve Tasker. That brought the Bills 4 Superbowl appearances.

If you can't pull you're weight on Bills special teams, you can't pull your weight as a second or third stringer.

OP you are right.

I hate it too. They have no clue what they are doing. Too much emphasis on ST. Too much rotation on Dline. Insisting on some OLB to be MLB. Drafting suspect players instead of DK Metcalfs. Keeping overpaid LBs who can't cover TEs. Pasivity in free agency. No run game. Everything sucks.

We are never gonna be playoff team under this management!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cash said:

Yeah I'm pretty confused as to what prompted this thread. 

I'm assuming he saw we re-signed Taiwan Jones and threw a sh-tfit because there's a Running Back in FA he likes and is now realizing that it's unlikely. Though he probably should have realized that we were always more likely to draft another one to replace Yeldon rather than spending valuable cap space on a vet to hop Singletary and Moss.

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is lunacy. This is idiotic. 

Can someone point out what Super Bowl champion or hell, even recent contender, that dedicated this much money and effort to STers? 

It flies in the face of modern NFLdom. Rule changes have basically eliminated the return game. Why are we signing top end STers to prop up this phase, instead of dedicating more money to the other phases that actually matter?

The ST coach’s job on a team that’s contending should be to coach up a bunch of cheap backups and late round draft picks into a decent unit. Not need dedicated gunners being signed to modest contracts. 

It’s upsetting to say the least.

The Bills are currently 24th in the league with cap dollars spent on Special teams.  24th.

Will you only be happy if we were 32nd?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/special/

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Chargers were #1 and #2 in offense and defense but couldn't make the playoffs one year b.c they were last in ST (forget what year that was) Your logic is Garbage and you shouldn't have posting this horrible thread.

#1 and 2 in what category?  Dumb playcalls? 

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The New England Patriots. When they won the Super Bowl against the Rams they had Matt Slater, Nate Ebner and Brandon King who played ST only (combined 20 snaps on offense and defense between the 3). They spent about $6M/year between the 3 of them... that was just the easiest one for me to find... you asked for Super Bowl winner or recent contender... I met the requirement. 

We’ve dedicated money towards two non-kicker players who only play ST... Matakevich and Taiwan Jones. Is there anyone I’m missing? For comparison there... Matakevich and Jones combined for 76 non-ST snaps this year. @FireChans

I can follow up with the Patriots the year they beat ATL in the Super Bowl. 

Ebner, Mingo, King, Bolden, Slater were all primarily ST players. They spent around $6M again here. 

Here are Rick Gosselin’s special teams rankings for 2020. He’s been doing this a long time and is the best in the biz.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/.amp/nfl/rick-gosselins-2020-nfl-special-teams-rankings

Six of the top nine were playoff teams, and the number one team was the Patriots. It seems like Bill Belichick knows a thing or two about what’s important to winning in the NFL, and it seems like special teams success correlates directly to one’s likelihood of winning enough football games to qualify for the postseason.

Weep. Tell me how a WR6 and RB4 should be kept more for their ability to play 4 snaps a game on offense than for their ability to play on punt coverage, kick coverage, punt return, and kick return teams.

You can’t, because it’s a ridiculous opinion.

Edited by Logic
  • Awesome! (+1) 1