NFL $10B a year over 11 years in TV deals

Will it result in DirecTv giving up rights to a better online version of Sunday Ticket? I hope so. I don't mind DTV but it sure is expensive. Too much inconsistency for me to rely on one of those "boxes" or links to watch the game.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

And yet they can’t fix this cap issue this year.. 

The empty stands are not guaranteed to be filled this fall.  Wishful thinking perhaps at this point in March.  Time will tell, but we could be in another lockdown.  Big bucks will not be wagered on the come wrt full fan viewing this next year.  Its in the contract, and, I was taught by some union folks, the contract is the contract.

45 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Beane really should have extended Allen before this.

It will probably make it easier to extend him honestly. More cap later with players under contract with the current cap. 

Edited by The Wiz

34 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Another reason to restructure deals to raise more cap space,  there are still plenty of good players still available .  Just need a couple more solid signings,  maybe a RB or speed WR/TE

Maybe (hopefully) this will convince Beane to spend a little more NOW.

4 minutes ago, Amarillo Bills Fan said:

I see that, but if you read ESPN's article it says,  "The ESPN package also includes the ability to stream games on ESPN+, as well as one international series game on an exclusive national basis. NBC, CBS and Fox will also have the ability to stream games they hold the rights to."

Hopefully it'll be one-stop shopping for channel-changing sake.  One service rather than three please.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NE Branch said:

I see that, but if you read ESPN's article it says,  "The ESPN package also includes the ability to stream games on ESPN+, as well as one international series game on an exclusive national basis. NBC, CBS and Fox will also have the ability to stream games they hold the rights to."

Hopefully it'll be one-stop shopping for channel-changing sake.  One service rather than three please.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  If I'm reading everything correctly, it doesn't start until 2023.  Who knows if ESPN+ will have better pricing, we'll find out  in a couple years.  I'm currently not a subscriber.

I gave up my DirecTV account a few years ago as the pricing was getting out of hand. 

Luckily the Bills are getting more prime time games so I'm not missing as many games as I used to.

Satellite TV, in my opinion, is on the way out.  Streaming services will take over.  Although I guess you can technically call it Satellite TV if you get your internet via Elon's StarLink service 😉

It will be interesting to see if the out-of-market NFL games are included with the subscription to ESPN+ and/or Amazon Prime, or if there will be an additional cost.  Also, it will be interesting to see how that might work with any type of DVR service.  I have been with Directv/Sunday Ticket for a number of years and rely heavily on my DVR for Bills games.  As much as I dislike Directv, sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.  It's a pain in the butt, but almost every year, with enough effort, Directv and Sunday Ticket can be negotiated to a reasonable price.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’m surprised they didn’t push FA back for this, or the NFLPA didn’t at least try to work something out.  

Each team lost 20mil to spend because of what, a week?

My suspicion is that they didn't want to.  All the talk last spring around the collective bargaining agreement was that the NFL was pressuring to get it done so they could sign new TV contracts.  My guess is that they had the deals all worked out last spring and then Covid hit.  They could have signed it at any time but by waiting until after the start of the new NFL year, the cap is set low and they can recoup some of the lost revenue from fanless stadiums.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

And yet they can’t fix this cap issue this year.. 

Well we are doing well keeping our own and its made a lot of high end talent available and kept spending down so overall we are aces.

10 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

10 billion a year and I'm walking around with a hole in my sock. 

That pisses me off

Time we started working for the NFL

53 minutes ago, NE Branch said:

All these platforms are a pain in the ass, so im going to wait till the sharks eat the smaller fish then go to a streaming service, ive been thinking about YouTube TV but they dont have history channel, so ill wait for now.

2 hours ago, Amarillo Bills Fan said:

I love this. I have ESPN+ and it says it would basically become $20 a month and we could get all the games. I guess when that happens I can cancel after football season is over and renew when football season starts again

The numbers of commercial time outs during games just went up dramatically...