Beane/McD zoom call today at 2pm

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

After missing out on Williams and Niang essentially being a rookie, they’ll have to go with the draft route. But it’s far from ideal. No way would I want a rookie protecting my $40 million man.

For sure. I hope Mahomey gets beat up all year long.....couldn't happen to a cockier douche.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Severely overpaid for the guys they brought in and still have no QB.  Yeah let’s crown them champs!

They have signed some play makers including a stud LB ,  you could also argue that Beane overpaid on his signings last season FOR LESSER KNOWN TALENT.  Jefferson/Butler/ADDISON 10 MIL/Tyler Matakevich 3.7 MILL/A.J. Klein 6.6 MLLION and these guys gave us very little when you look at what they were paid.  

• Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, The Governor said:

They will make sure they hammer home the “keeping our own” narrative. That’s it folks! We can now go back to watching Golden Girls re-runs.

Yeah, I mean it sucks trying to keep what they feel are main cogs on a young roster that was a game away from the Super Bowl.

Right?

I hope this isn’t a “keep our own” Schtick.  We clearly need a few upgrades to beat the chiefs and stay on top of the AFC East.  Pats are a QB away from being a contender again. Have a incredible team already, in need of a few pieces.

I get there was a loss of revenue last year without tix sales, but they still got their tv revenue. This better not be a money thing.

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

They have signed some play makers including a stud LB ,  you could also argue that Beane overpaid on his signings last season FOR LESSER KNOWN TALENT.  Jefferson/Butler/ADDISON 10 MIL/Tyler Matakevich 3.7 MILL/A.J. Klein 6.6 MLLION and these guys gave us very little when you look at what they were paid.  

So?  Their Achilles heel will still be their QB. 

We’re going to need an explosive RB at some point and 30 is probably the spot where you should take one, or trade down and take one. It’s still a luxury pick but we won’t get laughed at for taking one there.

if Motor is our starter in week 1, that tells me that we aren’t as close as we think. I get what we were trying to do by not investing in the position but it didn’t work and it needs to be fixed now. Just do it already.

Edited by The Governor
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Im struggling to understand what’s so bad about bringing back a team that went 13-3 and made it to the AFCCG.

There’s still obvious holes to fill but FA has just started and we still have the draft. 

Absolutely nothing, but its not as fun.   Thats what all of the whining is about.  People had high expectations for free agency, despite it not being logical and when their expectations werent met, because they never could be, they got sad.  Too many people in their emotions.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Absolutely nothing, but its not as fun.   Thats what all of the whining is about.  People had high expectations for free agency, despite it not being logical and when their expectations werent met, because they never could be, they got sad.  Too many people in their emotions.

I think we still have a lot of room to grow, as Allen's ceiling is unlimited and we have young players in Oliver, Edmunds, Davis, Ford, Epenesa who can all make jumps this year (fingers crossed), but there's a difference between 13-3 and a close loss in the AFCCG, and 13-3 getting mollywhopped by the AFC gatekeepers as everyone in the division will have gotten much better around us.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think we still have a lot of room to grow, as Allen's ceiling is unlimited and we have young players in Oliver, Edmunds, Davis, Ford, Epenesa who can all make jumps this year (fingers crossed), but there's a difference between 13-3 and a close loss in the AFCCG, and 13-3 getting mollywhopped by the AFC gatekeepers as everyone in the division will have gotten much better around us.

If all positions were equal I'd agree with you.  Teams around us have gotten better, teams who are in a completely different phase of building than the Bills.   There is a reason they had the money to make moves.  If we are being honest we'd say teams that didnt make the playoffs last year have gotten better.  And getting better just means they've added players to try and get to the level the Bills are already at.

When you look at the playoff teams from last year, tell me how the Colts, Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Titans and Chiefs have gotten better during free agency?   McDermott said it after the AFC Championship, the Chiefs are further along in their program than the Bills are.   Meaning, they know this is about long term growth of the core of the team.  Not pieces they are going to go out and hire.  The sad reality is the Bills will need to draft well and hope Josh gets to the level where he can go toe to toe with Mahomes.  

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, The Governor said:

They’ve already sent them out there to deliver the narrative.

WGR's @SalSports on the #Bills in free agency this year: "Beane has a plan to keep the core intact, and he makes moves to be able to that."

So what’s the problem? We were one of the best team’s in the league.

You’d have to be an idiot to expect sweeping changes and think we’d be big spenders in FA.

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So what’s the problem? We were one of the best team’s in the league.

You’d have to be an idiot to expect sweeping changes and think we’d be big spenders in FA.

I don’t have a problem. I’m ready for the draft. I’m just talking some others off of the ledge.

TBH, I don’t think there’s any player worth breaking the bank for this year. Fans are just elevating their skill level because they want a new toy to look at. This happens every year.

Edited by The Governor

50 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Dude, it’s easier to improve a bad team than a very good team.  Of course their improvements are going to be more impressive this year.

also it’s three days into the offseason. Could you be any more impatient or quick to judge.  Holy crap

Edited by Crayola64

Glad he's doing this.

It's almost as if he *didn't* tell everyone at the year end presser that we wouldn't be players in Free Agency. That it would be difficult to re-sign our own guys and we'd be lucky to do it 😑

I get people hoping that was lip service. But after a bunch of releases, re-structures, extensions, signings, and re-signs bringing us close to broke - on top of him STRAIGHT UP TELLING US - I felt like I was taking crazy pills listening to people go "he can find more cap space" and "we're getting Khalil Mack!"

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If Beane drafts a mean NT (or two) to rotate with Star, that defense could look vastly different 

I hope he does regardless.  I don’t see Star here the following year.

41 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If all positions were equal I'd agree with you.  Teams around us have gotten better, teams who are in a completely different phase of building than the Bills.   There is a reason they had the money to make moves.  If we are being honest we'd say teams that didnt make the playoffs last year have gotten better.  And getting better just means they've added players to try and get to the level the Bills are already at.

When you look at the playoff teams from last year, tell me how the Colts, Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Titans and Chiefs have gotten better during free agency?   McDermott said it after the AFC Championship, the Chiefs are further along in their program than the Bills are.   Meaning, they know this is about long term growth of the core of the team.  Not pieces they are going to go out and hire.  The sad reality is the Bills will need to draft well and hope Josh gets to the level where he can go toe to toe with Mahomes.  

Yea, I agree with you for the most part.  

I would only say that the Chiefs saw a weakness at OL and dismantled it.  

I’m going to need to see a lot more from Addison/Butler and co., before I feel like we made the right move by not cutting all 3 underperforming DL acquisitions from last year to go after a pass rusher who’s, at least, younger with more upside.  

• Agree 1

I’d be shocked it this was to announce a trade or big name FA signing.  Word would already be leaking out.  Like others said, nothing more than we are glad to re-sign Williams, Milano and Feliciano...and welcome aboard Emmanuel Sanders. 

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 1