Cool ancient facts

Royale with Cheese

The Egyptians did coke, smoked weed and chewed tobacco. 

https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2018/05/new-world-drugs-and-old-world-mummies/

What they described was the discovery of chemical signatures of THC, cocaine, and nicotine among the mummified remains of 9 individuals comprised of 7 heads severed from the bodies, 1 incomplete mummy, and 1 complete mummy. They were all adults: 3 female; 6 male. Their remains dated to about 1000 BCE. Essentially, the authors used radioimmunoassay and gas chromatogoraphy/mass spectrometry (GC/MS). Both of these are the same methods used all over the world to test for drugs in live people. If you give a urine sample for a job, it’s likely that one or both of these methods would be used.

The drugs were found in the hair, soft tissues, and bone of the specimens in ways that defy an explanation other than consumption. In other words, being shipped with cocaine or sprayed with insecticide isn’t enough to explain why the bones contained cocaine and nicotine. In fact, it wasn’t cocaine that was initially discovered, but benzoylecognine. This is the chemical left over in the body after a human metabolizes the cocaine. In all likelihood, they found the metabolite of nicotine as well, which is cotinine.

Roman's had automatic doors.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Egyptians did coke, smoked weed and chewed tobacco. 

https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2018/05/new-world-drugs-and-old-world-mummies/

What they described was the discovery of chemical signatures of THC, cocaine, and nicotine among the mummified remains of 9 individuals comprised of 7 heads severed from the bodies, 1 incomplete mummy, and 1 complete mummy. They were all adults: 3 female; 6 male. Their remains dated to about 1000 BCE. Essentially, the authors used radioimmunoassay and gas chromatogoraphy/mass spectrometry (GC/MS). Both of these are the same methods used all over the world to test for drugs in live people. If you give a urine sample for a job, it’s likely that one or both of these methods would be used.

The drugs were found in the hair, soft tissues, and bone of the specimens in ways that defy an explanation other than consumption. In other words, being shipped with cocaine or sprayed with insecticide isn’t enough to explain why the bones contained cocaine and nicotine. In fact, it wasn’t cocaine that was initially discovered, but benzoylecognine. This is the chemical left over in the body after a human metabolizes the cocaine. In all likelihood, they found the metabolite of nicotine as well, which is cotinine.

Roman's had automatic doors.

This is pretty strange to me because I thought the coca plant and the tobacco plant were native to the Americas?

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is pretty strange to me because I thought the coca plant and the tobacco plant were native to the Americas?

Thats why its a mystery.  
I believe the casing stones they used to build the pyramids weren’t native to Egypt either.  Scientists can’t figure out how they moved these massive stones several hundred miles.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting that like the pyramids in the America's everything is in the same latitude zones.  I wonder if that has any connection?  If humans were making contact with others across this zone. ??

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh that’s pretty amazing!

I always thought it was kinda obvious.  I mean there is a big ocean that separates, but don't underestimate the power of what humans are capable of doing.  Isn't there a theory out there that Chinese sailors made it to the Americas too?  Like present day Mexico?

"Pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact theories speculate about possible visits to or interactions with the Americas, the indigenous peoples of the Americas, or both, by people from Africa, Asia, Europe, or Oceania at a time prior to Christopher Columbus' first voyage to the Caribbean in 1492 (i.e., during any part of the pre-Columbian era)."

https://books.google.com/books?id=lmvUBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT9#v=onepage&q&f=false

Man Across the Sea

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Thats why its a mystery.  
I believe the casing stones they used to build the pyramids weren’t native to Egypt either.  Scientists can’t figure out how they moved these massive stones several hundred miles.

Gravity used to be a variable

On 3/19/2021 at 1:10 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought the same thing --and they are -- so I read the entire article cited in the OP to find out more about this study.  The author of the article explained that plants containing THC, nicotine and cocaine are found in the Mediterranean area, so the Egyptians could have had relatively easy access to them without traveling to the Western Hemisphere.   Moreover, because the highest levels of these drugs were in found in people who died when very young, it's likely that they were used medicinally, probably ingested rather than smoked.

On 3/19/2021 at 11:53 PM, Simon said:

Gravity used to be a variable

I am not sure I understand this.  Can you tell me a little more on this?  

9 hours ago, SoTier said:

I thought the same thing --and they are -- so I read the entire article cited in the OP to find out more about this study.  The author of the article explained that plants containing THC, nicotine and cocaine are found in the Mediterranean area, so the Egyptians could have had relatively easy access to them without traveling to the Western Hemisphere.   Moreover, because the highest levels of these drugs were in found in people who died when very young, it's likely that they were used medicinally, probably ingested rather than smoked.

That's what I thought too.  Everything was an edible.

I believe Coca Cola was originally marketed as a headache cure.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.