Are you scared of the CAP?

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

Spotrac and other sites list us has being at the cap even before the most recent signing. How were we even in the Watt sweepstakes before everyone’s paycuts?

Because we could’ve restructured several contracts to create money.  It’s not hard

• 4 months later...
On 3/18/2021 at 6:42 PM, Billl said:

I’ll venture somewhere around 6 years and $270,000,000 with $150,000,000 guaranteed.  Dak just got $40,000,000 AAV.  No chance Allen takes 75% of that.  Nearly no chance he takes only 100% of that.

Not a bad prediction.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

On 3/18/2021 at 1:56 AM, Zerovoltz said:

As I read through the free agent threads here....a whole lot of talk about steep prices for guys (always that way this time of year) but what I notice is that the Bills fan base seems overly cap conscience.  

I am not very familiar with Bills spending history or how they work with the Cap....and I certainly don't know the Pegulas ideas on this or Beanes.....

My questions to you are:

1.  Is everything ALWAYS about the future?  Is there ever a thought about "now"?

2.  Do you see a team that has had the cap kill them and you don't want to do the same?  ...was that team the Bills at some point?

3.  Do you think the cap can be manipulated or do you believe that the piper that needs paid, is always right around the corner?

There are no wrong answers to these questions....everyone kind of has different ideas on how this should work or how things ought to go with spending and contracts.....just wondering what the community here has to say about it since you all, IN GENERAL....seem kind of skittish about spending money (having the Bills sign folks..I know it's not your money)  

Not at all...the Cap is going up so much Allen's contract won't even be a blip on it in 5 years.

Edited by Big Turk

On 3/18/2021 at 1:56 AM, Zerovoltz said:

As I read through the free agent threads here....a whole lot of talk about steep prices for guys (always that way this time of year) but what I notice is that the Bills fan base seems overly cap conscience.  

I am not very familiar with Bills spending history or how they work with the Cap....and I certainly don't know the Pegulas ideas on this or Beanes.....

Cash to Cap or some such

Ralph WAS cheap!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

Yes and I am shocked your not ;) 

Hence the shocky thread guy for a man named zerovoltz ;) 

Really who cares?

Its not my problem and to get my shorts in a wad over it just isn't going to happen  :)

CAP is actually quite important, at least in terms of sustained success for a long period of time.  And what you are seeing is a MASTER CLASS by a GM in how to first clear it out and repair it, then build the roster talent up, breed a culture the players want to be part of, and then properly structure contracts to keep the right players here who also want to be here and win here.  That is why everyone calls Beane a WIZARD.

There are a ton of examples of how bad cap and draft capital management has been the downfall of teams.  Where teams went all in on trying to "win now" by over spending on big names in both contracts and draft picks.  End of they day though, its not how much you spend, its HOW you spend.  

That will forever separate the top GM's from the next ones to be fired.  Does not mean its not worth making that big trade or making that big signing.  Its making those moves for the right players and then structuring those deals to continue to have flexibility and plan ahead.  

Beane PLANNED for these extensions to retain them in how he used the cap the last 3 years.  He has been masterful in how he has both found talent, acquired talent, and retain talent.

That being said...There are many ways to win a championship...there is never going to be a team who will regret winning a SB after they mortgaged their near term future on high cost players and traded away their premium picks.  But when they do that and dont get a Championship out of it...well, thats usually the end of the line for the GM and staff and house cleaning begins with a new FO and Coaching staff most the time.  That teams goes back to the bottom half the league usually at that point and has to start a long process of building back up given they dont have the draft capital to do it quickly unless they have assets they can trade away for picks.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, benderbender said:

Spotrac and other sites list us has being at the cap even before the most recent signing. How were we even in the Watt sweepstakes before everyone’s paycuts?

I think that might have been including all players currently signed (around 90), but only the top 53 count against the cap.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:46 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yea Bills fans have been conditioned by all the years of being bad to care about cap space and comp picks and not trading up. It is because cap space and more picks represent hope. They are the way to a quick turnaround. 

But space and picks are just a means of getting good players. The Bills now have good players. That is better than having cap space every time. 

We did also operate a cash to cap model under Ralph's ownership so the cap WAS real to the Bills. The Pegulas don't mind spending which has allowed this regime to drag us into the 21st century of cap management where you pay now and account for the money later.

And ignore the haters that you will get in this thread. You are not wrong with your observation OP.

The funny thing.........prior to fateful day when Bruce, Andre and Thurman got cut..........99.99% of Bills fans were in utter denial about what was coming.

They didn't ever bother to understand the cap because John Butler kept pushing debt down the road.........so every offseason they would be told the Bills were going to be over the cap.........and then Butler would then find a way to extend every Ken Irvin and Sam Rogers.

So they thought there was always going to be an answer.

I had been pointing out exactly what the deals that Butler was making in the late 90's was going to result in............it wasn't that complicated........and even though I have some financial background and my math was right on.............I even had a couple accountants on here try to tell me how I was going to be wrong.:lol:

When Donahoe came in people were so shell-shocked and in search of a savior that he was able to use the "cap hell" excuse to gut the ENTIRE identity of the team...........it was a bad situation.........but some of the cuts were simply unnecessary (Ted Washington, in particular).    

The narrative was "it has to be done,   even now we won't have a penny to spend for several years"...........but then, of course, Ol' Whitey was shopping in free agency the very next offseason.:lol:    

Cap hell hit the Bills fanbase like an unforeseen natural disaster..........and then the guy who was supposed to be stewarding the team out of it was a hard-headed dipsh*t and instead ushered us into an ice age.  

People are still twitchy about it.