How will the Bills defend against the Patriots 2 new TEs?

28 minutes ago, Success said:

On that 1st line, it depends who it is.  If they find a way to get Watson, they'll have to cart me away for sure.  I'll probably be all wild-eyed and singing showtunes, or something like that.

But I agree. Cam's contract looks very much like that of a back-up.  It feels like BB has something in mind (and they could trade a ton of picks to move up in the draft now without missing out on too much, with all of the holes they have filled).

I think regradless of who the Pats QB will be. You guys are gonna be fine either way. Until they play, the Bills are the team to beat in this division. We may end up having one of the best divisions in football.

I am ok if this division isn't decided to the final game or games of the season. Gives me more of a reason to duck my to do list from the wife.

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes I advocate scoring more points than the other team.  The Bills spent too many years trying to not mistakes on offense, and play good defense.   It doesn't work and you have years of evidence to prove my point.

What works is scoring a lot of points.   When you say it doesn't work certain teams like KC, you're making the point about one team out of 32.   It doesnt always work against KC because they are smart, they also try to score more points than the other team.      The bottom line is winning a championship are insufferably hard to start with, but when you try to win one by playing defense you make it ten times harder on yourself.   17 of the last 20 Superbowls have been won by Hall of Fame, or future Hall of Fame Quarterbacks.  Those teams didn't win because they were able to cover Tight Ends, they won because they had the better player behind center on that day. 

I quickly looked at the last 6 Super Bowl winners and easily half of the wins were by teams that played defense well (E.g., Denver over Carolina,  New England over the Rams, Tampa over KC).    It is fun to watch a team be able to rack up the score. But if you don't have the ability to stop the other team, you will most likely be a spectator at the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

I quickly looked at the last 6 Super Bowl winners and easily half of the wins were by teams that played defense well (E.g., Denver over Carolina,  New England over the Rams, Tampa over KC).    It is fun to watch a team be able to rack up the score. But if you don't have the ability to stop the other team, you will most likely be a spectator at the end of the season.

Now go back and look how those teams got to the Championship in the first place.  It wasnt by winning games 17-10.

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Now go back and look how those teams got to the Championship in the first place.  It wasnt by winning games 17-10.

Denver offense ranking  in 2016 was 22,  New England offense ranking in 2019 was 15,    Tampa Bay offense ranking in 2020 was 7 .    No top 3-5 offense there .

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I expect them to make a run at Deshaun. I’d be shocked if they don’t.

I'd be shocked if they get him.  Dealing your 20-something franchise QB for anything less than the sun and the moon is a bad career move for a GM.  Dealing him to your old boss as the marquee move of your first ever season in the job is career suicide.

2 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I'd be shocked if they get him.  Dealing your 20-something franchise QB for anything less than the sun and the moon is a bad career move for a GM.  Dealing him to your old boss as the marquee move of your first ever season in the job is career suicide.

Who’s to say they won’t give up the sun and the moon?

BB doesn’t give a crap about the 2025 Patriots.  He only cares about winning another super bowl while he’s the coach. If Kraft allows him to trade the farm for an elite QB that could run the team for another 10+ years, I don’t see why BB wouldn’t trade them 5+ 1st round picks.   It’s not like he makes good use of them.  Malcom Brown is his best 1st rd pick in the last 8 drafts. 

that said, I agree with you to an extent.  I would do my best to keep Watson if I’m Caserio.  Problem being, what if Watson really does sit out the next 1-3 years?  Dude has money.  He’s already set for life if he wasn’t a fool with his money.  If he wants to take a hard stance and sit out multiple years, not trading him will be career suicide.  Goes both ways.  Big decisions 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I expect them to make a run at Deshaun. I’d be shocked if they don’t.

Honestly that would be the worse case scenario if they did get him for Caserio, the NFL and the pats because there are better teams offers out there for Watson, so it would call into question alot of things from fans, other teams n media alike.

I mean Watson would have to approve the trade but still..

Edited by Ghost_002!

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills have the worst TE history in the NFL on both sides of the ball. They have never had a single pro bowl appearance and they are historically one of the worst teams when defending the TE. This transcends two owners, dozens of coaches, and hundreds of players.  It really is almost statically impossible for the Bills to be any worse with TE production and defense.

My take exactly. I can't figure out how for the 30 years I've been watching the Bills, they still get gashed by TE's and have never had one that can become a major weapon on offense. We could have had Gronk but we really needed Torrel Troupe :( 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm pretty sure you need a QB to get the ball to them.   Buffalo should sweep these bums

Should, but it's far from a given. NE will have a stout defense and BB knows how to scheme against us. He always out-coaches and outhinks McD. The monkey got off our back last year, but we will need to bring our A-game to sweep.  I think if they stick with Cam they will figure out ways to get him to become a game manager. If the NE OL holds up, then I think they can manage to score some points. I also think they are not done at QB yet. The gave Cam backup money.  Good, smart QB play brings NE back into the spotlight. 

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Honestly that would be the worse case scenario if they did get him for Caserio, the NFL and the pats because there are better teams offers out there for Watson, so it would call into question alot of things from fans, other teams n media alike.

I mean Watson would have to approve the trade but still..

Interesting, not sure what you mean based on how your post is worded....

do you mean:  there are teams out there that have offered more than the pats have for Watson?

do you mean:  there are better teams out there that have made offers for Watson?

What are the pats offering?

What have the other teams offered?

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills have the worst TE history in the NFL on both sides of the ball. They have never had a single pro bowl appearance and they are historically one of the worst teams when defending the TE. This transcends two owners, dozens of coaches, and hundreds of players.  It really is almost statically impossible for the Bills to be any worse with TE production and defense.

Iirc Ernie warlick, who played when I wasn’t even a thought, made the pro bowl every year he played.  

but I agree, we are the anti tight end and have been since the 60’s

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

do you mean:  there are teams out there that have offered more than the pats have for Watson?

do you mean:  there are better teams out there that have made offers for Watson?

Iirc Ernie warlick, who played when I wasn’t even a thought, made the pro bowl every year he played.  

Agree, I just looked at data going back to the first SB.  Missed Warlick.  And I will be honest, I thought Warlick was a WR not a TE.  Good learning opportunity for me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree, I just looked at data going back to the first SB.  Missed Warlick.  And I will be honest, I thought Warlick was a WR not a TE.  Good learning opportunity for me.

I just remembered him because my pops used to talk about him

41 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Denver offense ranking  in 2016 was 22,  New England offense ranking in 2019 was 15,    Tampa Bay offense ranking in 2020 was 7 .    No top 3-5 offense there .

Ouch. Facts hurt! Add Seattle to that list as well.   Seattle 2014 9th in yards/game and 10th in points/game

Can we revisit this question when we know the answer to the question "who will be the QB that is throwing to them?"

To the people who said that the Bills had trouble covering TE....

...that very much depended upon the skill set of the QB throwing to them.  Rivers (who knew exactly where to find the seams and where to go), Mahomes (master of manipulating with his eyes and also downfield game): problem. 

Mullins, Jackson - (photo of DeNiro smoking a cigarette)

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Sorry about that. I meant draft capital wise..jets and the dolphins could offer more and a better package.

Picks and their young QBs since Texans would need a QB to at least start the season with.

I haven't heard anything official yet...but what can the pats offer? This year's number 1, next year's number 1 and Gilmore?? To me the jets have the best assets. They have a sh*t ton of draft picks from trading Adams away..

Edited by Ghost_002!