How will the Bills defend against the Patriots 2 new TEs?

7 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I keep saying the same thing..... Need that DT1. Allows Edmund's and Milano to focus on the TE's and the middle and not have to come up and help the line. Plug the middle... But Just my opinion..

I think pretty simply there was some confusion out on the field last year. Could have been the lack of meetings due to COVID-19 but communication wasn't great last year. It improved as the year went on. 

I the Zo Alexander was a pretty big loss. Was like a coach. I know pass rush wise he called all the stunts and games up front. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Could call out on Warlock but he never played in the NFL. AFL only. Go check the stats, not a single ProBowl TE in SuperBowl era.
As for defending the tight end, that is pure speculation on my part with no stats but I’ve watched games since 1980 and the Billshave a habit of making even marginal TEs look good.

I'm sure over the course of 40 years that tight ends have hurt us and have not.  I'm sure over the course of 40 years all positions have hurt us.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think pretty simply there was some confusion out on the field last year. Could have been the lack of meetings due to COVID-19 but communication wasn't great last year. It improved as the year went on. 

I the Zo Alexander was a pretty big loss. Was like a coach. I know pass rush wise he called all the stunts and games up front. 

True. I did forget about Zo. Could a LB like say a Werner or Mosses help with that and allow more of a 4-3-4 instead of 4-2-5? 

They will do it by making Cam be a passing quarterback...

I do not think some bills fans will survive if/when the pats make it official that they have another QB.

It's like it's been clearly reported their approach w Cam is security, not to be a full time starter and some fans are talking like its Sept. and Cam Newton has named the full time starter.

Even if so...some fans don't understand football has alot to do w schemes..Cam Newton schemed right could still win some teams some games...

Edited by Ghost_002!

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m no cam guy, but this take is old.  They would have beaten us at home with the worst front 7 ever.....but Zimmer made a helluva play and Cam made a blunder at the same time to ***** defeat from the hands of victory.  There’s no doubt that they can beat us.  I’d say we’re the clear favorites and the beater team, but they can win a game 💯 maybe even two is we don’t bring out A game.  The better team doesn’t always win in the nfl

Yessir - they’re comin’.

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m no cam guy, but this take is old.  They would have beaten us at home with the worst front 7 ever.....but Zimmer made a helluva play and Cam made a blunder at the same time to ***** defeat from the hands of victory.  There’s no doubt that they can beat us.  I’d say we’re the clear favorites and the beater team, but they can win a game 💯 maybe even two is we don’t bring out A game.  The better team doesn’t always win in the nfl

The Patriots aren't done yet. The draft is next month and I see Bill B. moving up in the 1st round to take a QB, so if Cam stumbles again they can switch to a new rookie QB.

1 minute ago, GLP said:

The Patriots aren't done yet. The draft is next month and I see Bill B. moving up in the 1st round to take a QB, so if Cam stumbles again they can switch to a new rookie QB.

I expect them to make a run at Deshaun. I’d be shocked if they don’t.

AS they say every year is a new year and even though last year was great for the Bills NE had a lot going against them with Brady leaving and all the opt outs on the D that they had this year will be a bit different and it will let us know exactly what the Bills are made of !

Bellichek was super pissed last year and you know he will do everything in his power to not have the same result as last year plus with the opt outs coming back on the D & them getting Vanoy back their D will be a lot better .

It's going to be a battle for the Bills to repeat a sweep of the division this year but i can't wait i think they can still do it but they do need some do need a pass rusher to either step up or get another in FA .

I'm not too worried about the Pats TE's for the most part, unless they get a QB that can deliver to them. Hopefully they defend K.C's TE better next time around though. Some of those bigger TE's seemed to give them trouble last season. 

9 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

So you advocate for going into a shoot out?  That doesn't work very well against certain teams like KC.

Yes I advocate scoring more points than the other team.  The Bills spent too many years trying to not mistakes on offense, and play good defense.   It doesn't work and you have years of evidence to prove my point.

What works is scoring a lot of points.   When you say it doesn't work certain teams like KC, you're making the point about one team out of 32.   It doesnt always work against KC because they are smart, they also try to score more points than the other team.      The bottom line is winning a championship are insufferably hard to start with, but when you try to win one by playing defense you make it ten times harder on yourself.   17 of the last 20 Superbowls have been won by Hall of Fame, or future Hall of Fame Quarterbacks.  Those teams didn't win because they were able to cover Tight Ends, they won because they had the better player behind center on that day. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

But this trend continued late in the season and into the playoffs when those two were apparently healthy.... I think the middle of the field was just targeted more this past season. Teams may have realized Edmunds isn’t all that great in coverage as advertised.  

The Colts and Chiefs ate against the Bills defense for sure.

In between those, though, they held Mark Andrews (an elite tight end having a great season) to 4 catches for 28 yards. 

My point is simply that I believe the Bills DO have the ability to limit opposing tight ends when healthy. Time will tell whether that belief is correct. I do not think that 2021 will be a repeat of 2020, in terms of defending TEs.

Defend the Pats TE? Easy if it Newton just stand in front of them  and you grab the short thrown pass otherwise watch for falling plane parts as he hits a passing 747 on an overthrow. Lol

I as a pats fan want see what we do for WB because I don’t believe Cam has anything left but I will still cheer and yell at my tv for the Pats if he is our QB. (Note to self to set some stimulus money aside for new tv after I break old one watching Cam play)

Edited by PatsFanNH

11 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I don’t know so I’m asking. Will this give Edmunds greater value? I’m not impressed with his pass rush but if I’m thinking correctly his pass coverage is pretty decent, especially when he’s paired up with Milano. Not liking the idea of the Patriots employing 2 pass catching TEs again though.

Press the QB.

end of story

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ghost_002! said:

I do not think some bills fans will survive if/when the pats make it official that they have another QB.

It's like it's been clearly reported their approach w Cam is security, not to be a full time starter and some fans are talking like its Sept. and Cam Newton has named the full time starter.

Even if so...some fans don't understand football has alot to do w schemes..Cam Newton schemed right could still win some teams some games...

On that 1st line, it depends who it is.  If they find a way to get Watson, they'll have to cart me away for sure.  I'll probably be all wild-eyed and singing showtunes, or something like that.

But I agree. Cam's contract looks very much like that of a back-up.  It feels like BB has something in mind (and they could trade a ton of picks to move up in the draft now without missing out on too much, with all of the holes they have filled).

• Like (+1) 1