How will the Bills defend against the Patriots 2 new TEs?

13 minutes ago, foreboding said:

For sure it is a losable game for us now. It would be ignorant to think otherwise. Bill Belichick didn't just up and forget how to coach. That they beat some good teams last year, and with that putrid team, it is admirable.

As far as this spending spree the Pats are on? I don't recall ever seeing a team spend so much money all at once, it's insane and I am afraid it will probably work. The Pats WILL get the most of their talent, and all of sudden they got a  shittle-ton of it. 

Cam is the weak link and I understand the skepticism, it is warranted.  He seems to need momentum to be good, and is a bit of a head case, imo. But, I do think Daniels can devise an effective offense with Cam's legs with mostly easy throws to big guys...and 80 million in (new) proven talent.

That said, we got us a sonafabitchin' offense and I still like our chances, but for damn sure it got harder.

Plenty of teams have spent a lot of money like this. I bet the Bills did, or came close anyway, in 2018 and maybe 2019.

I'm with you in liking our chances.

While I want to wait to see what personnel we add before answering this question, I WILL say this:

In 2019, the Bills allowed the third fewest yards to tight ends of any team in the league. Defending tight ends was a strength.

Last year, clearly not so much. But with Milano and Edmunds taking turns being hurt all year, it’s not too hard to see why the drop off likely happened.

Furthermore, the Bills saw an offense that made liberal use of heavy sets and 2TE formations in the playoffs: the Ravens. They held them to 3 points.

With Edmunds, Milano, Hyde, Poyer, potentially a DB yet to be added,  McDermott/Frazier as coaches, and a full, real offseason.....I like our chances just fine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

I don’t know so I’m asking. Will this give Edmunds greater value? I’m not impressed with his pass rush but if I’m thinking correctly his pass coverage is pretty decent, especially when he’s paired up with Milano. Not liking the idea of the Patriots employing 2 pass catching TEs again though.

Very good question.  They struggled vs TEs last season and they return the same coverage LB and safeties.  

I guess the coaching staff needs to do better scheming and teaching.

They've already started. Their secret agents convinced BB to keep Cam Newton.

24 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Very good question.  They struggled vs TEs last season and they return the same coverage LB and safeties.  

Weren't they one of the top against TEs before last season? With the same coverage LB and safeties?

Edited by jeremy2020

I think running two TEs is actually a very good move for the pats and people here are overlooking how much it could help them.

Cam has actually had the best success in his career throwing to TEs, with Greg Olsen leading the Panthers in receiving four years straight from 2013-2016. Greg Olsen also had by far the five best years of his career with Cam throwing to him (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OlseGr00.htm).

From my perspective, Cam is best as a scrambling, run-option QB, and good TEs can help a lot those schemes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

How did they do against a better throwing RB QB with 2 top end TEs?  I think we won didn’t we? 

58 minutes ago, nrenegar said:

I think running two TEs is actually a very good move for the pats and people here are overlooking how much it could help them.

Cam has actually had the best success in his career throwing to TEs, with Greg Olsen leading the Panthers in receiving four years straight from 2013-2016. Greg Olsen also had by far the five best years of his career with Cam throwing to him (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OlseGr00.htm).

From my perspective, Cam is best as a scrambling, run-option QB, and good TEs can help a lot those schemes.

And all that was before Cams arm and shoulder became shot. Making his inaccuracy even worse 

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I don’t know so I’m asking. Will this give Edmunds greater value? I’m not impressed with his pass rush but if I’m thinking correctly his pass coverage is pretty decent, especially when he’s paired up with Milano. Not liking the idea of the Patriots employing 2 pass catching TEs again though.

You can't catch passes that bounce off the turf.

Last season Cam Newton was a late signing and he had little opportunity to work with the team in getting ready for the season. Also, Covid took him out for a few games. He had a crap receiver corps with little talent. Plus, he was coming off and injury that saw his former team give up on him. 

Lots of reasons why Newton looked so bad last season...Its really not him that's the biggest concern as the Patriots are gearing up to go "old school" on the NFL. Meaning, they will work that run game till opposing teams are exhausted from chasing Cam and the Pats RB's all over the field. 

BTW, "old school run game" has worked recently with the Vikings, 49ers, Titans, Ravens and others. 

My biggest concern was that the Patriots fielded the #1 defense in 2019, #2 in pass yards allowed, #6 in  rush yards allowed. That was with eight Pats players opted to sit out the 2020 season. Now, not only will those returning players like pro bowl LBer Dont'a Hightower be back...looking at free agency they boosted their defense and pass rush with ex Ravens LB Matt Judon. 

The Patriots should be a huge concern in 2021 and could probably beat Buffalo with Belichick at QB.

Buffalo had better fix their run defense and run game. #17th in rush yards allowed isn't good enough...nor is #20th in rushing. 

This season all teams should have a better off season to prepare for the regular season and there shouldn't be defenses not up to speed at the start of the season like in 2020. 

The Patriots will be a better team. The Jets with all those draft picks, a defensive minded HC who built a strong defense in SF will be a better team. The Dolphins with all those draft picks should improve.

The AFC East should be the leagues best division in 2021. JMO

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

How is Cam going to get the Ball to NE two TEs? 

I think people are looking at this from the wrong direction a bit too tight and set is running formation New England ran the ball a lot because they couldn’t pass it last year there still going to run the ball a lot we need to be able to stop the run

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think people are looking at this from the wrong direction a bit too tight and set is running formation New England ran the ball a lot because they couldn’t pass it last year there still going to run the ball a lot we need to be able to stop the run

Then why do you sign two pass catching TEs? 

But let’s say all of the sudden Cam can throw the ball. 

the way you cover the 2 TEs is with 

Milano and Poyer. Otherwise why did you give them their extensions?

Edited by MAJBobby

MAJ, just getting on here, but you beat me to it.  My guess is they extend McKenzie, especially since they let Roberts walk. It’s suggested he might be able to expand somewhat his role on offense.  Regarding Diggs, Beasely, Davis, maybe Samuel, and you never know how Hodgins works out this year.  We have versatility.

Cam has a career 60% completion record for 10 years.  BB did what he could do for Cam giving him two taller WR’s, two TE’s, and they already had a solid running game.  They may win some games, but they won’t get to a championship.  As far as the Pats first game, Allen far outplayed Newton.  The game was close because there were 45 mph. Winds so we ran for 194 yards.  That was a smart decision by the Bills.  On the other hand knowing the conditions it was a mistake by BB dropping 8 back to shut down Allen and company.  They made it too easy for us to run the ball.

This topic came up on WGR this morning and Sal brought up a good point.  He agreed Kelce abused us in 2020, but he also cited several examples of TE’s this past year we kept in check.  We also did not have healthy Milano and Edmunds with in front.  We don’t know what will happen in the draft.

There is a segment on this board that still sees ghosts of the last with NE.  That’s ok as they beat us for 20 years.  What I see is Brady was more of the impediment and he’s gone.  What happened in the second NE game is more telling to me.  By no means do I think we are sweeping the East as a guarantee, but I’ll take our chances in all six games.  Allen didn’t forget how to throw a ball and neither did Diggs, Beasely and Davis catching one.

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Another Tipster Thread - yeah.

Lets see - in 2019 when healthy - the Bills were the best team in covering TEs.  In 2020 with injuries plaguing the LBs they were not good.  Hmm healthy LBs might help.

Lets see NE had Tom Brady that has incredible short range accuracy and an ability to read defenses and get the ball to TEs and RBs.  Last year they had Cam - that is not accurate and is not good at reading defenses - He struggled getting the ball out to RBs and TEs all year.  Not really that worried.  

The Pats had a great OL and multiple TEs that could both block and catch making it difficult.  Pair that with Randy Moss and it made for an all time offense.

Now the Pats have 2 TEs that are ok (way overpaid) and neither are great blockers and you speed guy is Agholar - a guy with questionable hands and does not adjust to the ball well.  Not really the same with Cam throwing to these guys.

I expect it will end up like last year a very run centric team that tries to hold teams down and they will have some success, but without significant improvement at QB they will be a middling team that scares everyone for a couple of weeks and then gets laughed at for others.  Just like every other team that way overspends on FAs.

BB always loved his TEs.   But to the original question, I’d think we’d see a lot of Big Nickel against 21 personnel.  That means Neal will see a lot of action.  

But here’s some food for thought: Everyone is looking at what BB is doing with his offense through the lens of how it works for Cam, but it is also a great plan for a rookie QB.  Cam is his bridge QB and I expect him to be very aggressive going after one early in the draft.  He’s made attempts at acquiring a QB in the first round ever since Jimmy G got traded away, he just hasn’t been able to pull off the trades. 

Edited by BarleyNY
“QB” not “WB”
  • Like (+1) 1