Jump to content

Off-season spending


Where would you rather spend the money?   

62 members have voted

  1. 1. Off-season spending

    • Zach Ertz
      26
    • #2 CB
      11
    • DE or LB
      25


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

 

I get what you're saying. But when someone says "how do you want to spend the money" - that would imply we have it to spend. And the fact remains until he does free up more, which there's no guarantee he will, we just don't atm. Keep in mind, Beane himself said he wasn't going to be a player in FA bc of the cap and that he'd be focused on re-signing our own. That doesn't jive with doing more restructures to go on a spending spree. Especially since he hasn't yet while everyone's being scooped up.

I get what you're saying, but you're misconstruing what I'm saying or adding things I have not said (that could be on me, not you as maybe i'm not being clear enough). I dud clearly say I'm happy with the team we have now. Making tactical signings as the market prices drop is not the equivalent of a spending spree. I'm not even advocating doing it, just pointing out that it's a bit silly to say there's no way to do things b/c we don't have money--this is especially true since many said it about re-signing Milano, then Williams, then Mongo, then Wallace.

 

(1) He already HAS restructured many players' contracts, so why would he completely stop now. Beane says a lot of things, but we also know he's someone who can be very inscrutible. 

 

(2) When did I say "spending spree"? I said 2 or 3 mid-level contracts  I absolutely do not think they should go on a "spending spree." I've not mentioned it here, but I've been railing against the Pats moves, as I've scoffed at about every team who is the "winner of the off-season." This may not be original to me, but I call it Snyder-ing

 

(3) I'm not talking about mega-signings (I mentioned the Rams Floyd contract b/c it exasperates me and I think it's stupid, but Rams never seem to face consequences). Yes, he has stood pat, but as many of the experts have said, because of the unusual cap squeeze, this is a good year to wait and then pounce on a few bargain players. The contracts going out this year have been wildly inconsistent. If he can get, say, an Adoree Jackson (unlikely), Cordarelle Patterson (maybe), or any of the pass rushers left (quite possible) for 5-6 million, he might judt jump. He supposedly offered Gronk a similar deal. 

 

(4) There are apparently (although even knowledgeable local Bills columnists aren't sure) clauses in contracts that can extend contracts and free up 7.5 million from Dawkins and Tre. These clauses were put in there by Beane or his money man, and it's probably for this very reason: to have flexibility for this very purpose.

 

My point is not we should throw caution to the wind. I'm just saying people who argue we're not going to do ANYTHING b/c we don't have the money are probably wrong (maybe i'm exaggerating the views of some here myself, but that's what I've heard). 

 

There's always money in the banana stand.

 

Ultimately, at this point, I trust whatever Beane is doing. This is one awesome team, and if the defense bounces back (as I expect b/c last year was goofy) and the offense does not regress, this team will be ridiculously hard to beat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

 

You have to pay the piper at some point. Keep in mind we have to re-up Josh and Edmunds soon too. Logic would also dictate that if Beane wanted to free up money to go ham - he would have by now while everyone's being gobbled up. 

 

It's possible we make *a* move or two and work some stuff around. Ertz being the most likely IMO.

 

We've spent a fair amount of money already. It's just mostly been our own guys. Not every offseason is going to be crazy exciting. And when you have the type of winning team we have, it usually isn't. That's a good thing btw.

 

But to say "where are we spending the money" - the fact is it's not there atm.

Bills should not "re-up" Edmunds unless he has a monster season and takes a huge step forward as a dominant football player.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Bills should not "re-up" Edmunds unless he has a monster season and takes a huge step forward as a dominant football player.  

IMO it’s worth picking up Edmunds 5th year option to see where he is in two years.  He was drafted very young and  has dealt with injury.  We should give him that vote of confidence and see what happens.

 

For those thinking about extending him consider these points:

 

- No way do you extend him before Allen.  Same draft, Allen was the earlier 1st round pick and it’s QB vs MLB.  Extending Edmunds before Allen would be a terrible message to send. 

 

- 16th overall picks extended by the teams that drafted them prior to becoming FAs get paid very large.  We’re talking $15M-$16M AAV for 5 years with 60% guaranteed (in my estimation).  So the bar is very high for an extension. 
 

- If he is good, but falls short of that level of performance he could still test the market and return at a rate more in line with his performance.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

IMO it’s worth picking up Edmunds 5th year option to see where he is in two years.  He was drafted very young and  has dealt with injury.  We should give him that vote of confidence and see what happens.

 

For those thinking about extending him consider these points:

 

- No way do you extend him before Allen.  Same draft, Allen was the earlier 1st round pick and it’s QB vs MLB.  Extending Edmunds before Allen would be a terrible message to send. 

 

- 16th overall picks extended by the teams that drafted them prior to becoming FAs get paid very large.  We’re talking $15M-$16M AAV for 5 years with 60% guaranteed (in my estimation).  So the bar is very high for an extension. 
 

- If he is good, but falls short of that level of performance he could still test the market and return at a rate more in line with his performance.  

Reasonable points Barley.  What kind of money would we have to pay him if we pick up the 5th year option for 2022?  And is that fully guaranteed, so there is no buyers remorse?

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Reasonable points Barley.  What kind of money would we have to pay him if we pick up the 5th year option for 2022?  And is that fully guaranteed, so there is no buyers remorse?

$12.7M which is fully guaranteed at the time it is executed under the new rule from latest CBA that kicks in for 2018 1st rounders.  It also fully guarantees any 4th year salary that isn’t already guaranteed.  It’s gotta be done by 5/3/21.  Here’s some good info:

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 11:40 AM, BarleyNY said:

$12.7M which is fully guaranteed at the time it is executed under the new rule from latest CBA that kicks in for 2018 1st rounders.  It also fully guarantees any 4th year salary that isn’t already guaranteed.  It’s gotta be done by 5/3/21.  Here’s some good info:

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections/

Thanks for sharing that.  Very interesting data.  If I am the Bills I don't do the 5th year option.  If he has a big year, we can try and resign him long term.  If he does not have a good year, we let him walk after year 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...