Off-season spending

Where would you rather spend the money?   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Off-season spending

• Zach Ertz
    • #2 CB
    • DE or LB

Let me put this poll into perspective somewhat... 

“which of these three vehicles do you want?”

- a 1997 Nissan Altima with chipped faded paint and a dented fender that runs well and has decently low mileage.

- a truck

- a van.

Asking for people to chose between two abstracts and a specific doesn’t work very well.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

That’s a lot different statement  than who’s money we spending because Bills about out. 

Right. As someone else said, out-of-cap-space implies cash-to-cap philosophy. As plenty of others are saying, we can always find room. What I am saying is that if you are going to spend above cash-to-cap the you better be certain that that piece makes you a substantially better team. As an example, we could sign Suh. He’s a better DT than anyone we have, but he clearly doesn’t make the Bills a better team.

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I would literally have to list like 15 of more options to encapsulate a variety of theoretical options. Even then, we could still trade for people that aren’t FAs. I thought this would be the better option. 

No. You could have given one option for each position like you did for TE, or you could have gone completely abstract with three positions and not put Ertz up there.

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I would literally have to list like 15 of more options to encapsulate a variety of theoretical options. Even then, we could still trade for people that aren’t FAs. I thought this would be the better option. 

Sorry, didn’t mean to be an ***. 

I just can’t answer the poll because it’s too vague 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Let me put this poll into perspective somewhat... 

“which of these three vehicles do you want?”

- a 1997 Nissan Altima with chipped faded paint and a dented fender that runs well and has decently low mileage.

- a truck

- a van.

Asking for people to chose between two abstracts and a specific doesn’t work very well.

Well that’s easy, a truck. Who tf wants a 1997 Nissan Altima. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

No. You could have given one option for each position like you did for TE, or you could have gone completely abstract with three positions and not put Ertz up there.

Ertz is literally the only TE that is in anyway connect to us. Plus there aren’t many options available that are worthy. 

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You have to pay the piper at some point. Keep in mind we have to re-up Josh and Edmunds soon too. Logic would also dictate that if Beane wanted to free up money to go ham - he would have by now while everyone's being gobbled up. 

It's possible we make *a* move or two and work some stuff around. Ertz being the most likely IMO.

We've spent a fair amount of money already. It's just mostly been our own guys. Not every offseason is going to be crazy exciting. And when you have the type of winning team we have, it usually isn't. That's a good thing btw.

But to say "where are we spending the money" - the fact is it's not there atm.

(1) The Rams, Saints, etc., never seem to really have to "pay the piper" The Rams have been in supposed cap hell for years yet they just keep signing players. When the Rams signed Leonard Floyd, I didn't see a single pundit point out they were waaaaay over the cap.

(2) This is an unusual year and it's pretty well known that the salary cap is about to balloon in the next few years, so they probably will be able to sign Josh and Tremaine and Ed Oliver if he takes a leap the next few years. 

(3) I'm not saying we should, just saying there clearly are ways to do this. Honestly, as long as this team just keeps doing better every year, I'm gonna trust the process. This team has enough young talent with upside at key positions that I can't help but feel they are a better team even now just by the likelihood Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, Allen, Dawkins, Epenesa, and many others will be better players. I suspect the defense will rebound in a more normal year. They are one of the top Super Bowl contenders just as they are (and isn't that fun to say without feeling delusional).

It's just that I'm tired of people saying there is no way to do this. Teams always seem to find a way.  

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 1

Draft DL, trade for Ertz. You end up overpaying for marginal talents at DE, just draft one.

Drafting a good TE is harder to predict. One may go top 10 and then in 3-4 years they’re simply a marginal talent. Think Ertz is a proven commodity, an elite one at that, which would cost less than an average DE.

16 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

(1) The ... Saints ... never seem to really have to "pay the piper"

Gotta call you out on this one. See also: their very recent approach to "roster management."

(Don't be misled by the Taysom Hill contract numbers, as advertised, of course. They're paying that piper, all right.)

13 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Gotta call you out on this one. See also: their very recent approach to "roster management."

(Don't be misled by the Taysom Hill contract numbers, as advertised, of course. They're paying that piper, all right.)

That's fair and I know the Hill contract was a mirage. Atlanta Falcons seem to be kicking the can somehow, but at least they didn't make any ridiculous signings this off-season. 

With the Rams though, I have to struggle to kick CTs out of my mind that the league is hoping no one is paying attention and letting the Rams do whatever they want to promote L.A. football. (I know this isn't what is happening, but I still can't understand how they were able to sign a guy for 21m when they were over 36m and somehow made it under by 4pm today).

That said, even knowing there is a lot I don't know about cap management (see CT joke above), I do know that a few more mid-level signings is not going to have that much impact on Allen/Edmunds unless something happens similar to what it did this year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

(1) The Rams, Saints, etc., never seem to really have to "pay the piper" The Rams have been in supposed cap hell for years yet they just keep signing players. When the Rams signed Leonard Floyd, I didn't see a single pundit point out they were waaaaay over the 

(2) This is an unusual year and it's pretty well known that the salary cap is about to balloon in the next few years, so they probably will be able to sign Josh and Tremaine and Ed Oliver if he takes a leap the next few years. 

(3) I'm not saying we should, just saying there clearly are ways to do this. Honestly, as long as this team just keeps doing better every year, I'm gonna trust the process. This team has enough young talent with upside at key positions that I can't help but feel they are a better team even now just by the likelihood Oliver, Edmunds, Milano, Allen, Dawkins, Epenesa, and many others will be better players. I suspect the defense will rebound in a more normal year. They are one of the top Super Bowl contenders just as they are (and isn't that fun to say without feeling delusional).

It's just that I'm tired of people saying there is no way to do this. Teams always seem to find a way.  

I get what you're saying. But when someone says "how do you want to spend the money" - that would imply we have it to spend. And the fact remains until he does free up more, which there's no guarantee he will, we just don't atm. Keep in mind, Beane himself said he wasn't going to be a player in FA bc of the cap and that he'd be focused on re-signing our own. That doesn't jive with doing more restructures to go on a spending spree. Especially since he hasn't yet while everyone's being scooped up.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I get what you're saying. But when someone says "how do you want to spend the money" - that would imply we have it to spend. And the fact remains until he does free up more, which there's no guarantee he will, we just don't atm. Keep in mind, Beane himself said he wasn't going to be a player in FA bc of the cap and that he'd be focused on re-signing our own. That doesn't jive with doing more restructures to go on a spending spree. Especially since he hasn't yet while everyone's being scooped up.

I get what you're saying, but you're misconstruing what I'm saying or adding things I have not said (that could be on me, not you as maybe i'm not being clear enough). I dud clearly say I'm happy with the team we have now. Making tactical signings as the market prices drop is not the equivalent of a spending spree. I'm not even advocating doing it, just pointing out that it's a bit silly to say there's no way to do things b/c we don't have money--this is especially true since many said it about re-signing Milano, then Williams, then Mongo, then Wallace.

(1) He already HAS restructured many players' contracts, so why would he completely stop now. Beane says a lot of things, but we also know he's someone who can be very inscrutible. 

(2) When did I say "spending spree"? I said 2 or 3 mid-level contracts  I absolutely do not think they should go on a "spending spree." I've not mentioned it here, but I've been railing against the Pats moves, as I've scoffed at about every team who is the "winner of the off-season." This may not be original to me, but I call it Snyder-ing

(3) I'm not talking about mega-signings (I mentioned the Rams Floyd contract b/c it exasperates me and I think it's stupid, but Rams never seem to face consequences). Yes, he has stood pat, but as many of the experts have said, because of the unusual cap squeeze, this is a good year to wait and then pounce on a few bargain players. The contracts going out this year have been wildly inconsistent. If he can get, say, an Adoree Jackson (unlikely), Cordarelle Patterson (maybe), or any of the pass rushers left (quite possible) for 5-6 million, he might judt jump. He supposedly offered Gronk a similar deal. 

(4) There are apparently (although even knowledgeable local Bills columnists aren't sure) clauses in contracts that can extend contracts and free up 7.5 million from Dawkins and Tre. These clauses were put in there by Beane or his money man, and it's probably for this very reason: to have flexibility for this very purpose.

My point is not we should throw caution to the wind. I'm just saying people who argue we're not going to do ANYTHING b/c we don't have the money are probably wrong (maybe i'm exaggerating the views of some here myself, but that's what I've heard). 

There's always money in the banana stand.

Ultimately, at this point, I trust whatever Beane is doing. This is one awesome team, and if the defense bounces back (as I expect b/c last year was goofy) and the offense does not regress, this team will be ridiculously hard to beat.