Offense.. Holes, upgrades, depth or are we good? each position.

18 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So we have our franchise QB Allen but we need the depth. The debate here is Josh with his running ability tends to get him into injury trouble.. Do we need solid depth where we know if the QB has to step in for josh, will we be able to depend on him to win 50% of the games for you? Or do we risk a late round pick and roll the dice?

WHAT did I say?   Is what I was trying to say so difficult to understand now for the trolls on my thread? This is what I was saying... Do we get a solid backup? FAIR question right? or do we roll the dice?

Guess Bills answered it for me and we got Mitch Trubisky?  questions?  

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

You lost me with the QB and injury thing... sounded pretty convoluted/strawman argument ish, 

Do I make sense now?

4 hours ago, T master said:

There has been some talk about bringing in a veteran back up at the QB position but although you never know what Beane might do i could see him sitting pat with what they ave especially this year .

He thought Fromm was a good pick last year and he basically had to sit out all last year and learn the offense which is a plus and going forward he knows the offense so that's a leg up on any one they might bring in and the other guy is similar in stature to Josh so i think i would be good with hem staying with what they have .

Maybe bring in another for competition sake but given the cap and what they are paying the other guys Beane & McD might think that Fromm could do what a back up is there for just to win a few games in case a injury could happen .

I don't think i would want him if Josh went down for the season but he was good in college so if he could translate that to the NFL it might not be as bad as we all think it would be ...

gg

18 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Singletary averaged well over 5 YPC in his rookie year and as "poor" as he was last year, averaged 4.4 YPC.

I don't think the Bills strength is in run blocking and this showed pretty badly last year. 

They also don't run the ball a lot, which is understandable when you have muthaf***in' JA17 and his host of WRs.

I still would love to see a gamebreaker like Etienne mixed in to give us another threat to score from anywhere on the field.

I think the Bills had the 5th fewest running plays in the league.  Singletary benefitted from the surprise factor.  " Gee coach, he got 7 yards because Buffalo RAN THE BALL !!!"

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I think the Bills had the 5th fewest running plays in the league.  Singletary benefitted from the surprise factor.  " Gee coach, he got 7 yards because Buffalo RAN THE BALL !!!"

or GEE he missed the hole or GEE he got hit behind the line of scrimage

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Hey all,

I am going to go through each position on offense. and hope for some thoughts.

Offense

QB So we have our franchise QB Allen but we need the depth. The debate here is Josh with his running ability tends to get him into injury trouble.. Do we need solid depth where we know if the QB has to step in for josh, will we be able to depend on him to win 50% of the games for you? Or do we risk a late round pick and roll the dice?

RB This debate rolls on in these forums... Many do not think Singletary is a starter and this position is a flat out hole. Here is my view of this. We have our Old Line back for the most part barring any FA upgrades. This RB team we have did not perform well with this line and it seems to come up to be talked about with our GM. Unless you want our QB to be the #1 runner again.. I have to look at this as a flat out hole. No matter who your QB is if you cant trust your RB team to be better then Josh in yards gained how can this not be considered a hole? for me upgrade is where you have a player you can live with but you want to get better... We cant live with what we have. Very opinionated topic on these forums. I would love any of the top 2 RB in draft but that's slowly becoming unlikely.

TE Knox had 10 drops and 2 fumbles last year and we do not have much for depth here. We could use Depth and maybe an upgrade here. Many hoping for Ertz. That would not hurt. This position needs work.

WR Emanual Sanders, welcome to Buffalo.. With Diggs, Davis, Beasley.. I can see no other upgrades needed here happening unless its through the draft. We need these guys all healthy late next year... period. Maybe still an upgrade to come but I doubt it

LT Dawkins. Yep We' good

LG Boettger we are trying to keep him yet at the same time.. he has been hot and cold for us. For me I really hope we upgrade the other side cause that short time 

Feliciano played LG, our line was smoking hot. Although at depth chart he is penned in at RG? I see him at LG all the way. Brian Winters is penned in here as the backup and holds his own on pass plays which is good cause we are a pass heavy team. for now we good 

Morse. I have been critical of him on running downs but he is our starter for a while so I am not going to go to crazy on this position

RG Cody Ford played this position and RT but I am finding it interesting on the official Web they have him not as G or T but as OL and not on the depth chart. What does all this mean exactly I don't know. Officially they have Feliciano starting at RG so what gives here? Maybe I can get some help and thoughts more on this position UPGRADE.. PLEASE... 3rd round?

RT Williams had a fantastic year for the most part we are good here.

Thoughts?

My biggest problem is it looks like we are trying to return our Offensive line as is and Josh cant be our best runner next year... 

Was the problem on our RB team? Did they not hit the holes? Was our Run Blocking that bad? Would adding a beast run blocker at RG help this team? and at what cost?

Be interested in reading your thoughts hopes an even pipe dreams for this Offense.

To me, explosive playmakers who can make our offense require less 8-10 play drives and just take it to the house.  Outside of the Diggs trade, we haven't spent a "premium" pick at a skill position (talking a 1st rounder).  If that's a WR or Rb, works for me.  I can't see WR though, after the Sanders signing.  But that said, I think a 1st round DL makes a bigger impact for this current team.

If we want to keep the 8-10 play offensive drives, that is also fine.  I'd then focus on a TE who can be reliable to extend drives and free up others.  Holding out hope for Knox, but I'd be more comfortable if we got Ertz.

• Like (+1) 1

At this point I would say the most likely next step for us is 1-2 more TE's. FA has dried up a bit here but there are the remaining interesting names:

Tyler Eifert

Jesse James

Darren Fells

Trey Burton

Richard Rodgers

Dan Arnold

Jacob Hollister

I think if I had to pick two from this list it would be Dan Arnold and Trey Burton. I see the others on this list as of equal value each with pros and cons.

Special Sneaky Pick-up: Jeremy Sprinkle (truly scraping the bottom of the barrel here)

On 3/17/2021 at 5:46 PM, TailgateChef said:

Gonna keep banging the drum for a 1-tech DT in rounds 3-5.  Togiai, Shelvin, or in the later rounds Bobby Brown.  A big space eater will create many openings for our other front 7.

I’m starting to think that DT will be the pick at 62.  We need to get a beast to play side by side with Ed and help unlock his potential.  Star, Butler and Phillips don’t do him justice.   

edit: initially wrote I thought DT would be the pick at 32, but I meant 62.  The more I look at the DTs, anything 62 and later, hopefully not rd 1.  If Marvin Wilson is there rd 3 or later, he could me ideal.  Not the typical 1 tech, but I feel he could be that guy and also help with pass rush.  Rd 2, 3 or with an extra pick we got in a trade back.  Waiting til rd 5 could yield a solid DT too, but it’s risky 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m starting to think that DT will be the pick at 32.  We need to get a beast to play side by side with Ed and help unlock his potential.  Star, Butler and Phillips don’t do him justice.   

Who ya got?  Unwuzurike?  MacNeill?  I don't see Barmore falling, and he's pretty vulnerable to double teams anyway.

I'd feel like this team is a SB lock if it had a stud DE that wrecks games.

Looking at the roster and if you were told you can pick 1 more elite player for any position you think puts us over the top, to me that's DE.  This is why I keep saying Oliver and Epenesa (and to some extent Edmunds) taking giant leaps is vital.  

I can live without going RB (Etienne) if we pulled off drafting guys that make a difference on D like the Bucs and the WFT have the last 2 drafts.  

Allen and this O are going to be plenty good enough to win.  With a QB in place and an oline locked up for 2 years the emphasis needs to be get the defense to elite.   

If this defense became a top 3 unit it's multiple SB championships.   

Edited by Big Blitz

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

WHAT did I say?   Is what I was trying to say so difficult to understand now for the trolls on my thread? This is what I was saying... Do we get a solid backup? FAIR question right? or do we roll the dice?

Guess Bills answered it for me and we got Mitch Trubisky?  questions?  

Yep, clearly the Bills saw it the same way.

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m starting to think that DT will be the pick at 32.  We need to get a beast to play side by side with Ed and help unlock his potential.  Star, Butler and Phillips don’t do him justice.   

Don't we pick at 30?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep, clearly the Bills saw it the same way.

Don't we pick at 30?

Pick 30? yea yea... I think we still at 30 lol

5 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

At this point I would say the most likely next step for us is 1-2 more TE's. FA has dried up a bit here but there are the remaining interesting names:

Tyler Eifert

Jesse James

Darren Fells

Trey Burton

Richard Rodgers

Dan Arnold

Jacob Hollister

I think if I had to pick two from this list it would be Dan Arnold and Trey Burton. I see the others on this list as of equal value each with pros and cons.

Special Sneaky Pick-up: Jeremy Sprinkle (truly scraping the bottom of the barrel here)

I agree, I was hoping for a higher tier TE but this makes sense.

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I'd feel like this team is a SB lock if it had a stud DE that wrecks games.

Looking at the roster and if you were told you can pick 1 more elite player for any position you think puts us over the top, to me that's DE.  This is why I keep saying Oliver and Epenesa (and to some extent Edmunds) taking giant leaps is vital.  

I can live without going RB (Etienne) if we pulled off drafting guys that make a difference on D like the Bucs and the WFT have the last 2 drafts.  

Allen and this O are going to be plenty good enough to win.  With a QB in place and an oline locked up for 2 years the emphasis needs to be get the defense to elite.   

If this defense became a top 3 unit it's multiple SB championships.   

I think that stud DE going to have to wait for 1st or second round of draft. Its not something we can afford right now.

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Totally agree on the DT and I have said it in other posts. We were top 5 defense 2 years ago and the big difference seems to be our DT's and I'm not 100% Star comes back to his 2019 game. Need a really good DT1 (BIG guy not a DT3). Even though I keep saying this, I wouldn't go there in the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe a small trade back from 30 and see if you can pick up a 3rd. I think McNeill or Shelvin will be there at 93, but it may be really close, so may be worth picking up that 3rd just a little earlier than 93 to make sure we can get one of them. I think McNeill has a little more upside than Shelvin, but I'd be pretty happy with either in the 3rd.

PS. I'd also like to get Mckensie back..😁

Edited by LyndonvilleBill

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They’ve done this basically every offseason.... they have one of the most heavily invested defensive lines in the league.... and it’s still not good.

I agree. Oliver, Epenesa, Edmunds....how many more top draft picks does anyone want invested in our Front Seven? It’s time those three take the next step. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I agree. Oliver, Epenesa, Edmunds....how many more top draft picks does anyone want invested in our Front Seven? It’s time those three take the next step. 

One more. And they need to get it right.  My guess would be someone who can lock down a TE and get to the QB on occasion. Could be one of those hybrid S/LB's like Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah or they go with a bigger guy like Zaven Collins if he drops. I think Beane and McD identified their guys on the board and have a few difference makers pencilled in on D. If they are available the Bills will strike or make a sensible move to go up and get "their" guy. 

I believe the same goes for offense for RB/TE's.  Rd's 1-3 on the big board are going to be looking at BPA for these positions and if they feel Pat Freiermuth (Rd1/2) Brevin Jordan (2/3)or  Tommy Tremble (3/4) are within reach they take a shot. For RB's If they feel Travis Etienne, Najee Harris or Javonte Williams can take the offense to the next level, then they pull the trigger.  If it's not worth the move, then they take a flier in Rd's 5-7 on someone who can develop or may be a sleeper who contributes. 

I also think the Bills look at all three of these positions in FA and make a sensible deal to get someone. Ingram, Carson, Smith, Dunlap, Duke Johnson, James White, Short, Houston, Tre Burton, Olivier Vernon, Arnold, Kerry Hyder could all be in the mix at the right price and would all add value and depth to the roster.  

Edited by BillsRdue

My opinion is that we are set on Offense and we need to grab a stud DE and since FA market has dried up-- looks like we have to take a shot on the draft. 

QBs -- well it looks like the answer is to get a veteran QB who has a similar style as Josh- Done

RBs  -- I think we are set-  We are not a running team. We dont ask our RBs to carry the ball more then 15x/game. I wouldnt be upset if we grabbed Etienne but our RBs averaged 4.4 ypc -- I will take that. 

WRs -- I like to see McKensie back or even draft Dazz Newsome. 

TE    -- We definitely need depth here but I am good with Knox. He will get better and he only had 4 drops in 2020 but had 10 in 2019. I think 75% we get Ertz

OLine --  I like to see a draft pick -- maybe the center from Wisconsin WhiteWater Meinerz or Creed Humphrey.

I am not sure why people think we need a stud TE -- if we did manage to acquire one then we are taking Receptions away from others. How many teams last year had more then 2 players get more then 50 recpts for the year... 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I’m starting to lean this way also. I wonder if a quality DT would be there in the 2nd. I also think we should plan to draft Beas replacement.

RB, DT, WR, CB, WR

5 hours ago, The Governor said:

Yeah, I’m starting to lean this way also. I wonder if a quality DT would be there in the 2nd. I also think we should plan to draft Beas replacement.

RB, DT, WR, CB, WR

To answer your question about DT. What we need for 1 tech DT will not be available till round 3 unless the player is so crazy talented he has to draw double team.

We don't Need 2 WR so I don't know what your doing with that..

RB... IF we can't get a top 2-3 RB in round 1 then I doubt it happens.. But I do believe this team and Josh deserves better. CB I am good with a Mid rounder

On 3/17/2021 at 5:35 PM, SCBills said:

Speed WR/KR/PR and Swing Tackle might be our only “needs”, if you ask me. 

In order of wants:

Pass Rusher

CB2

TE1

RB1

I think we are all on the same page on this one. These are the 4 greatest needs. I would rank pass rusher a clear #1 and you guys can fight it out for the order of the remaining. And with each passing day the availability list dwindles. Maybe we can coaxe Philly to give us Ertz for next years 4th. I think we go RB or Pass Rusher @ 30.  Maybe CB2 @ 61 as insurance for Dane Jackson. 

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think we are all on the same page on this one. These are the 4 greatest needs. I would rank pass rusher a clear #1 and you guys can fight it out for the order of the remaining. And with each passing day the availability list dwindles. Maybe we can coaxe Philly to give us Ertz for next years 4th. I think we go RB or Pass Rusher @ 30.  Maybe CB2 @ 61 as insurance for Dane Jackson. 

keeping this topic just on Offense what is your top need for offense? TE still?