Offense.. Holes, upgrades, depth or are we good? each position.

Just now, Rk_Bills86 said:

I made post about this earlier but this was my general outlook on needs:

Needs (* denotes highest level of need):

QB - Vet backup?

*RB -Starter/Depth Improvement via FA/Draft

**WR - Depth Improvement via FA/Draft

*****TE - Please, anything to improve this situation on our roster (Preferably entirely through FA due to supposed lack of Draft Prospects)

C - Heir Apparent via draft and/or additional backup if roster space allows

OT - Heir Apparent via draft and/or additional backup if roster space allows

*G - Starter/Depth Improvement or competition over Cody Ford via FA or Draft and/or additional backup if roster space allows

*DT - Starter/Depth Improvement via FA/Draft - Big Man Heir to Star in draft

**DE - Starter/Depth Improvement or competition over Mario Addison via FA or Draft - Heir Apparent via draft and/or additional backup if roster space allows

ILB - Depth Improvement via FA/Draft -

OLB - Depth Improvement via FA/Draft - (Pending Scheme and Coaching Philosophy add ** if we intend to get a beast SAM OLB and run more traditional 4-3 sets)

**CB - #2 opposite Tre and Starter/Depth Improvement via FA/Draft

S - Starter/Depth Improvement via FA/Draft - Heir Apparent via draft

Some of our needs will also depend on how the coaches feel about certain things.

Is Dane Jackson our #2 CB?

Is Cody Ford really going to be the starting G moving into next season?

Do we really believe Star will be enough of a presence that our DE's will get home?

WE NEED TE's - this is by far the only true major hole - we can't even say that we can consider our players would equate to average overall.

Can we start getting future replacements for our aging vets?

and lastly

OLB - Are we married to the 2 LB concept or could we possibly be in the market (FA/Draft - This year/next year) for true SAM OLB - moving Milano to WILL which imo would shore up the run D a little bit and could help with TEs that run free while also being another person the QBs would have to be concerned about. I dream of a 3 LB set with Milano and Tre showing Double A gap pre-snap and having a monster come in off the edge when the both drop back into coverage (rather than a safety or CB doing this role- which not saying don't have it in the play book - just adds another wrinkle for opposing teams to need to study)

On the same point - Could we be in the market for FA/Drafting a Tweener LB/Safety

All good points but lets please keep the spirit of the thread on offense. for the most part I agree. with what little money we have left, there is still work to be done..

Just now, Don Otreply said:

any time, 👍 

your description on the QB being likely to be injured in his play is not accurate, and lacks precision, hows that? In other words it is a made up scenario, such as a strawman argument... does that help? 😁

lol look. Josh has been Injured. He is a passing QB that runs a TON. To much in my opinion in which makes him a bit more injury prone. The question at hand is how good of a talented back up do we need?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

If that's all you think we can do, Does it concern you that Josh Allen could be our #1 runner again next year? see this is what keeps me up wondering... 

I said I think the Bills need a speedy RB that can get to the corner?

I don't know what more I can say.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Thanks for your Reply HBF  Knox scares me... Wild card.

I dunno that he scares me, but he's not what we need him to be, and at this point I don't feel we ought to bet the rent that he'll get there.

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

lol look. Josh has been Injured. He is a passing QB that runs a TON. To much in my opinion in which makes him a bit more injury prone. The question at hand is how good of a talented back up do we need?

I'd just like to point out that the injury that cost Josh games his rookie year, was sustained in the pocket.

The injury that probably hampered him for 3-4 games this season was sustained while trying to throw

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I'm in the minority, I think we're fine at RB. I would put all energy on D. I mean ALL.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Would like to see a bruiser RB as opposed to seeing a speedy one. 

Speed or Bruiser... With this line we need way better

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd just like to point out that the injury that cost Josh games his rookie year, was sustained in the pocket.

The injury that probably hampered him for 3-4 games this season was sustained while trying to throw

so would Resting Josh for the next game have been a smarter move if we had a solid backup?

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

All good points but lets please keep the spirit of the thread on offense. for the most part I agree. with what little money we have left, there is still work to be done..

The quality of a BU QB is commensurate with the money required for there services, BU QBs by and large aren’t good when compared to starters, it’s a lesser of evils type of exercise. It boils down to how much are you willing to spend... and for the Bills, that is as little as can be managed and still have a Barkley level QB or slightly better... at their disposal. It’s that way for the vast majority of NFL teams. I suspect that will not change, even as the cap goes up. I don’t do make believe scenarios, so what we have is very likely what we will see give or take well into the future. 

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Hey all,

I am going to go through each position on offense. and hope for some thoughts.

Offense

QB So we have our franchise QB Allen but we need the depth. The debate here is Josh with his running ability tends to get him into injury trouble.. Do we need solid depth where we know if the QB has to step in for josh, will we be able to depend on him to win 50% of the games for you? Or do we risk a late round pick and roll the dice?

RB This debate rolls on in these forums... Many do not think Singletary is a starter and this position is a flat out hole. Here is my view of this. We have our Old Line back for the most part barring any FA upgrades. This RB team we have did not perform well with this line and it seems to come up to be talked about with our GM. Unless you want our QB to be the #1 runner again.. I have to look at this as a flat out hole. No matter who your QB is if you cant trust your RB team to be better then Josh in yards gained how can this not be considered a hole? for me upgrade is where you have a player you can live with but you want to get better... We cant live with what we have. Very opinionated topic on these forums. I would love any of the top 2 RB in draft but that's slowly becoming unlikely.

TE Knox had 10 drops and 2 fumbles last year and we do not have much for depth here. We could use Depth and maybe an upgrade here. Many hoping for Ertz. That would not hurt. This position needs work.

WR Emanual Sanders, welcome to Buffalo.. With Diggs, Davis, Beasley.. I can see no other upgrades needed here happening unless its through the draft. We need these guys all healthy late next year... period. Maybe still an upgrade to come but I doubt it

LT Dawkins. Yep We' good

LG Boettger we are trying to keep him yet at the same time.. he has been hot and cold for us. For me I really hope we upgrade the other side cause that short time 

Feliciano played LG, our line was smoking hot. Although at depth chart he is penned in at RG? I see him at LG all the way. Brian Winters is penned in here as the backup and holds his own on pass plays which is good cause we are a pass heavy team. for now we good 

Morse. I have been critical of him on running downs but he is our starter for a while so I am not going to go to crazy on this position

RG Cody Ford played this position and RT but I am finding it interesting on the official Web they have him not as G or T but as OL and not on the depth chart. What does all this mean exactly I don't know. Officially they have Feliciano starting at RG so what gives here? Maybe I can get some help and thoughts more on this position UPGRADE.. PLEASE... 3rd round?

RT Williams had a fantastic year for the most part we are good here.

Thoughts?

My biggest problem is it looks like we are trying to return our Offensive line as is and Josh cant be our best runner next year... 

Was the problem on our RB team? Did they not hit the holes? Was our Run Blocking that bad? Would adding a beast run blocker at RG help this team? and at what cost?

Be interested in reading your thoughts hopes an even pipe dreams for this Offense.

Just a few things from me.

QB - Allen - enough said - not worried about him any more than any other QB in the league.

RB - Singletary and Moss are all right - looking for some real speed here from the draft - not Harris as I don’t think he is significantly better than Moss or Singletary - need more speed than he will provide.

WR - we are set - would not mind McKittrick back or something similar with speed and return ability - could come from the draft if needed.

TE - If we can get something relative cheap - great - if not the 4 guys are probably enough to get them through, but would not mind a nice veteran presence.

LT - all set

LG - disagree with you here - This is about Ford versus Boettger - just as it was after Spain was released last year.  Mongo is on the right and Winters is a FA and will not be back.

C - Morse with Mongo as a back-up set

RG - Mongo with the loser of the LG as a swing back-up

RT - all set

OL depth - with Bates and Adams the loser of LG - they are set, but could use a draft pick for depth.

I look forward to seeing what they can do as the OLine did not play 1 snap together as a 5 person unit.  I think them all getting together will boost you back to 2019 Averages and a bit more RB speed helps out.  The most important thing is that they are a good pass blocking line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

We have the ability to open up almost 20 Million in additional cap space - essentially in an instance without it being harmful to us down the line.

While Josh has run a lot in the past - he has certainly been running less as he's progressed - but I acknowledge your point. The issue with getting a Good to Great backup QB is cost. Bringing Matt Markley back on a cheap deal is probably about a good as we can hope for - somewhere under 2 million a year - mainly because of the price but also because of his familiarity with the Offense. Anyone of greater talent is going to cost more to get (and they will ask for more and rightfully so) which would prevent us from filling more immediate needs. The truth is - if Allen is down for a prolonged period of time - we do not have the cap room and roster to carry one of the few second tier QBs as insurance. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Just a few things from me.

QB - Allen - enough said - not worried about him any more than any other QB in the league.

RB - Singletary and Moss are all right - looking for some real speed here from the draft - not Harris as I don’t think he is significantly better than Moss or Singletary - need more speed than he will provide.

WR - we are set - would not mind McKittrick back or something similar with speed and return ability - could come from the draft if needed.

TE - If we can get something relative cheap - great - if not the 4 guys are probably enough to get them through, but would not mind a nice veteran presence.

LT - all set

LG - disagree with you here - This is about Ford versus Boettger - just as it was after Spain was released last year.  Mongo is on the right and Winters is a FA and will not be back.

C - Morse with Mongo as a back-up set

RG - Mongo with the loser of the LG as a swing back-up

RT - all set

OL depth - with Bates and Adams the loser of LG - they are set, but could use a draft pick for depth.

I look forward to seeing what they can do as the OLine did not play 1 snap together as a 5 person unit.  I think them all getting together will boost you back to 2019 Averages and a bit more RB speed helps out.  The most important thing is that they are a good pass blocking line.

we need upgrade at RB. we need better

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm wondering if they think Williams is the upgrade (or at least the competition) they need at RB.

Williams intrigues me. He’s one of those guys that didn’t quite perform up to his talent level in college, and I’ve never been able to figure out exactly why. It has me wondering if he just picked the wrong colleges, was slow to develop, or just got stuck behind elite talent at Ohio State and NC: JK Dobbins, Javante Williams, Michael Carter, etc. IIRC, his measurables were pretty similar to Zack Moss. Gonna be interesting to see how he does in camp and preseason. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Speed WR/KR/PR and Swing Tackle might be our only “needs”, if you ask me. 

In order of wants:

Pass Rusher

CB2

TE1

RB1

SC, I’m guessing primetime wanted to just list offense, but I’ll agree the four needs or upgrades are the ones you list.  Knowing primetime a little from the board, my guess is sometime this week he’ll do the same with the defense.

My rank order on offense is equal on TE and RB.  I like Ettiene at 30 and the best TE’s are gone.  The only two left I see as serviceable are Ertz and Rudolph.  I never want to spend $ on a RB in FA.

It stinks this year we didn’t have the $ for an edge rusher.

There has been some talk about bringing in a veteran back up at the QB position but although you never know what Beane might do i could see him sitting pat with what they ave especially this year .

He thought Fromm was a good pick last year and he basically had to sit out all last year and learn the offense which is a plus and going forward he knows the offense so that's a leg up on any one they might bring in and the other guy is similar in stature to Josh so i think i would be good with hem staying with what they have .

Maybe bring in another for competition sake but given the cap and what they are paying the other guys Beane & McD might think that Fromm could do what a back up is there for just to win a few games in case a injury could happen .

I don't think i would want him if Josh went down for the season but he was good in college so if he could translate that to the NFL it might not be as bad as we all think it would be ...