Bills re-sign Levi Wallace

11 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

I have, and it tastes like dirt. The fact that the "meh" guy wins the position every year should tell you something other than your perception that he's a starting caliber CB. I don't hate the guy, but we need better at #2. 

I don’t disagree that it would be good to have better players at every position, but that’s just fantasy nonsense, its your over the top hyperbole leaves a lot to be desired, you Don’t hate the guy but you still refer to him as dirt etc, but hey you do you...

23 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Actually?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Hahahaha got me! I got caught up in the moment when I found out my madden wasn't glitches and Levi was good on someone else's game too lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I'm no genius by any means, but those numbers don't add up. If he gets a $250K per game roster bonus that seems to be $4.25M in itself if he plays in all 17. 

44 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'm no genius by any means, but those numbers don't add up. If he gets a $250K per game roster bonus that seems to be $4.25M in itself if he plays in all 17. 

That would be 250K for the year if he is on the team for all 17 games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/17/2021 at 9:17 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Unlikely. It is what Beane says but not what he does.

Can you give some examples of when the Bills haven’t drafted the BPA on their board in the 3 drafts since Beane has been here? 

On 3/17/2021 at 7:44 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I like Wallace.  He isn't great but not a complete liability.  3/4 of our secondary is very good....make that 4/5.

The safeties are very good, Tre is an All Pro at one of the corner positions and T. Johnson is a good slot corner and Levi is OK. Add in Dane to compete and add depth and that’s a pretty good secondary. 

My main issue is depth and I think this team will spend a mid round pick to sure up depth and I think they might also go bargain hunting for a vet too. Not too concerned about the secondary overall esp with Levi back.

20 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Would you be really upset if the Bills selected a hybrid S/LB with one of their top 3 picks ? I think its an emerging need on the team and wouldnt mind it. 

Maybe.

I really do fully understand that the league is totally different these days, and the secondary is more important now.

That said, I can't remember any championship teams on which the strength of their defense was the secondary, other than the Ken Stabler Raiders in 1977. Can you (or anyone else)? I fully admit that I suffer football PTSD due to dumb drafts that emphasised the secondary over any other position group including QB, and this includes McDermott.

Our pass rush is not good and our best pass rusher is small and getting old. Josh needs more protection and more weapons. We renegotiated with Morse, but would you be surprised if he missed games this year due to his concussion problems? 

If he is proven to be healthy, I would like to see Landon Dickerson on the Buffalo Bills. He just might be the BPA when we pick. If we can shore up other positions first, I would probably be OK with a 3rd round DB. A first round DB would probably be a stupid pick imo. I would rather have a healthy Landon Dickerson or Alex Leatherwood.

How about you?

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe.

I really do fully understand that the league is totally different these days, and the secondary is more important now.

That said, I can't remember any championship teams on which the strength of their defense was the secondary, other than the Ken Stabler Raiders in 1977. Can you (or anyone else)? I fully admit that I suffer football PTSD due to dumb Bills drafts that emphasised the secondary over any other position group including QB, and this includes McDermott.

Our pass rush is not good and our best pass rusher is small and getting old. Josh needs more protection and more weapons. We renegotiated with Morse, but would you be surprised if he missed games this year due to his concussion problems? 

If he is proven to be healthy, I would like to see Landon Dickerson on the Buffalo Bills. He just might be the BPA when we pick. If we can shore up other positions first, I would probably be OK with a 3rd round DB. A first round DB would probably be a stupid pick imo. I would rather have a healthy Landon Dickerson or Alex Leatherwood.

How about you?

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe.

That said, I can't remember any championship teams on which the strength of their defense was the secondary, other than the Ken Stabler Raiders in 1977. Can you (or anyone else)? I fully admit that I suffer football PTSD due to dumb drafts that emphasised the secondary over any other position group including QB, and this includes McDermott.

How about you?

Seahawks had a great secondary when they won the SB

I know you like your guys but I would prefer Creed Humphrey over Dickerson and Teven Jenkins over Leatherwood at 30... 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Seahawks had a great secondary when they won the SB

No doubt!!!! I don't really remember them being the strength of the defense but looking back, they might have been. 

I continue to make the case that this doesn't occur that often and as we know, pass rush makes life easier for any secondary and much tougher for opposing QBs. 

Nice catch wrt the Seahawks! 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

No doubt!!!! I don't really remember them being the strength of the defense but looking back, they might have been. 

I continue to make the case that this doesn't occur that often and as we know, pass rush makes life easier for any secondary and much tougher for opposing QBs. 

Nice catch wrt the Seahawks! 

The reverse is true too. If we have 2 lockdown CB's, that can only help the pass rush. Did we have any coverage sacks last year?

25 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The reverse is true too. If we have 2 lockdown CB's, that can only help the pass rush. Did we have any coverage sacks last year?

The above is true. Still, the Bills are a cold weather team. So are the Jets and NE. Who knows what would have happened if we were better at rushing the passer, running, and stopping the run. 

For decades the Bills have placed far too much emphasis on defensive backs, often to the point of being just plain stupid. 

It really needs to stop at some point.

20 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

That said, I can't remember any championship teams on which the strength of their defense was the secondary

Someone already pointed out the Seahawks Legion of Boom. The Broncos in 2015 are another example with Chris Harris Jr. and Aqib Talib in their prime. Of course Von Miller was the MVP of that defense but the secondary was a major component. The Patriots in their 2019 Super Bowl victory are another example.

Having a premier CB with athleticism across from White would make a big difference. As it is right now they have to give Wallace help because he can't man up on #2 WRs on his own. He's nothing but a serviceable starter. An upper echelon starter in his place would allow us to bring Poyer down into the box more often which gives us better coverage against TEs. The pass rusher would have an easier time getting home since coverage could hold for longer.

This team doesn't have a lot of holes but an athletic outside CB is one. I would not like it if they took another CB that exclusively plays zone who has average athletic traits but "good instincts" in the 1st round. But a player like Greg Newsome or Jaycee Horn gives us a missing factor and no doubt would improve the defense.