Bills re-sign Levi Wallace

I understand that you'll never be able to "coach up" Levi's athleticism but man, talk about a guy that has continued to dare people to count him out.  He WALKS ON to the University of Alabama and ends up as a starter.  Then he goes undrafted and fights his way through training camp to make the 53 man roster.  Then he claws his way up to CB2 on one of the top defenses in the NFL.  He is a solid zone corner who is a student of the game and fits Mcdermott and Frazier's systems perfectly.  That being said, we could use some additional speed in the backfield but I'm guessing that will come via the draft.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think what he said is "don't even counter" which is a little different.  Says the offer that came in was unacceptable.

I stand corrected.

Nevertheless, the Tweet I'm referencing infers that Wallace had no interest in leaving the Bills. His preference was always to stay here. Maybe he's just saying that to save face because other offers weren't materializing, but I don't find it too hard to believe that a guy wants to stick with a team that gave him a shot in the league and with which he has comfort and familiarity.

14 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

Love his attitude. I think everyone agrees we want to see him continue to improve. Good player who gets targeted a lot. Time to step up.

There are folks here who know more about Xs and Os than me that can explain how McD's defense is designed to force targets to that #2 CB.

Plus, with White on the other side, teams certainly aren't throwing that way.

I don't mind the targets. He makes some plays, and gets burned sometimes, but isn't a flat out liability.

I hope Taron Johnson and Dane Jackson continue to battle for that #2 spot, and they all keep pushing each other to improve. Between them and Wallace, that isn't a bad mix of CBs.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

well I kept him around in madden and he is an 88 overall in 2025, so there's hope.

Lol he actually won cb of the year for me 2 times and teams actually thrown tredavious now. Its pretty funny actually

50 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

oh, I missed every second he was away.  

that would be very disappointing given the developmental talent at 30 at DE and TE.  

What would you do? RB? OT? DB? All have plausible cases to be drafted by the Bills at 30. All could fill depth and be penciled in to replace others in the future - hell you can go Center at 30 and move on from Morse in 2022.  Edge and TE are the only positions where they may make an immediate impact on this team.    

There are what four maybe five QBs that could go in the first round and another four or more WR's (Pitts at TE and Surtain is also surely to go in the first 15).  Everyone of those picks pushes the defensive front 7 talent down the board.  

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It’s a good call. He’s insurance if we can’t get a substantial upgrade at CB2, and he’s also injury protection.

Also, people always give Levi *****, but the reality is, while they haven’t tried that hard to replace him, they have made moves in various off seasons only to see Levi claim his job back. Give the man the respect he deserves. 

Thank you for this.  I agree 100%.

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Except that the meh, depth, need an upgrade, guy wins the CB2 position battle every year... put that in your pipe and smoke it...

I have, and it tastes like dirt. The fact that the "meh" guy wins the position every year should tell you something other than your perception that he's a starting caliber CB. I don't hate the guy, but we need better at #2. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Also, people always give Levi *****, but the reality is, while they haven’t tried that hard to replace him, they have made moves in various off seasons only to see Levi claim his job back. Give the man the respect he deserves. 

Bottom line is that Levi has fought for and kept his job. The kid just sticks and plays up to the competition of usurpers. That raises everyone’s game. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Carlos Dunlap, Justin Houston, hell I’d take a flyer on Oliver Vernon to name a few.... bringing back Addison is a big head scratcher. 

I'd really like to find someone under 30 to bring in at DE. I know DEs age well, and it's good to have some crafty vets, but we need to get someone besides Epenesa who can be here in the future.

The problem I see is the CB class for the draft is rather pedestrian. They must be really high on Dane Jackson. The Bills can get a pass rusher at 30 but idk if theres going to be a corner at 30 that fits the Bills except for the Syracuse CB Melifonwu. 

I could still see a TE at 30 but not much there either. To me , RB is starting to look more and more likely as any other spot at 30 or in a 2nd round trade down scenario 

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

The problem I see is the CB class for the draft is rather pedestrian. They must be really high on Dane Jackson. The Bills can get a pass rusher at 30 but idk if theres going to be a corner at 30 that fits the Bills except for the Syracuse CB Melifonwu. 

I could still see a TE at 30 but not much there either. To me , RB is starting to look more and more likely as any other spot at 30 or in a 2nd round trade down scenario 

There's only 1 TE worth taking in the 1st round and he'll be long gone by 30. If we somehow trade for Ertz than we go DE ( Basham/Phillips) or Najee?

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The most dangerous word in sports is potential, I don't want to be in TE purgatory with Knox. 

If you're talking about potential and they're not a rookie then it means they're inconsistent and there's nothing more useless in the NFL than an inconsistent player who "Flashes (oh, how I hate that word)" potential. 

Edited by jeremy2020

Good. Still think we should try and upgrade if the chance falls to us in the draft but my worry was Dane Jackson with 200 pro snaps just being pencilled in as a starter. The kid looked decent but that was too big of a risk for me. Levi gives you a solid, experienced, vet presence.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

It’s a good call. He’s insurance if we can’t get a substantial upgrade at CB2, and he’s also injury protection.

You mean EJ Gaines isn’t coming back?

• Haha (+1) 1