Hudson to the cardinals

dbfla10

1 minute ago, dbfla10 said:

The cardinals sit with 6mil of cap space and just signed AJ green to 6mil plus, and just traded for Rodney Hudson who is the highest paid center in the league.  The cap is a mystery. 

I have learned the purpose of the cap is protect teams from fans anger about not signing guys. If you want the player the cap is not as big an obstacle as you think. Heck the best method seems to pay massive contracts so you then have more options for restrux, then eventually when they retire they restyrux again at league minumum and tons of the cap that was pushed back goes away. 

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I have learned the purpose of the cap is protect teams from fans anger about not signing guys. If you want the player the cap is not as big an obstacle as you think. Heck the best method seems to pay massive contracts so you then have more options for restrux, then eventually when they retire they restyrux again at league minumum and tons of the cap that was pushed back goes away. 

Im starting to believe thats true. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The cap basically is something that can keep kicking down the road for a long time. And even when the bill comes due at worst you can dig yourself out of it in two years (and for most teams one year possibly). This isn't like the 2000's NBA where you have two bad contracts sitting on your books with 4=5 years left and the cap kills your team for a long time. You kick the can down the road until your window to win is destroyed and you eat a lot of dead cap for a season or two.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Traded for Hudson? I thought he was straight up released?

I thought so too but maybe the moves aren't official until the league year starts so they found a trade partner? 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The cap basically is something that can keep kicking down the road for a long time. And even when the bill comes due at worst you can dig yourself out of it in two years (and for most teams one year possibly). This isn't like the 2000's NBA where you have two bad contracts sitting on your books with 4=5 years left and the cap kills your team for a long time. You kick the can down the road until your window to win is destroyed and you eat a lot of dead cap for a season or two.

I don’t disagree...

So who is going to tell Big Baller Beane?

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought so too but maybe the moves aren't official until the league year starts so they found a trade partner? 

Yep, check my edit. Yesterday was still unofficial. Cardinals called overnight, and they pulled it off last minute.

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t disagree...

So who is going to tell Big Baller Beane?

I am sure Beane is aware, however if you do keep kicking the can down the road it does ***** with your roster flexibility. So I think right now they are in a balancing act of how much dead cap do they want to risk in upcoming seasons vs. how much space they want now?

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I am sure Beane is aware, however if you do keep kicking the can down the road it does ***** with your roster flexibility. So I think right now they are in a balancing act of how much dead cap do they want to risk in upcoming seasons vs. how much space they want now?

Yeah... he is obviously ultra conservative in this area...

I mentioned on another thread yesterday that he paid Daryl Williams a $3m roster bonus in 2021 rather than adding it to his signing bonus and freeing up another $2m space for  this year...

I dunno... I thought if you would kick something down the road than this would be the year ... it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen though...

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yeah... he is obviously ultra conservative in this area...

I mentioned on another thread yesterday that he paid Daryl Williams a $3m roster bonus in 2021 rather than adding it to his signing bonus and freeing up another $2m space for  this year...

I dunno... I thought if you would kick something down the road than this would be the year ... it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen though...

Aren't there cash implications there tho? I know the Bills and Pegulas arent hurting for money, but if you make everything a signing bonus, you need to pay it immediately. Even if you get to amortize it over the contract in Accounting. And even with Terry's deep pockets, theres still only so much cash to throw around.

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

And for the Bills right now, with Josh so young, our window is 10 more years. Not 3-5 where you might be able to eat it at the same time your star QB retires and say

"🤷‍♂️ oops, bad year, lets tank and reset next year".

These guys are planning for 10 years out.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Isn't there cash implications there tho? I know the Bills and Pegulas arent hurting for money, but if you make everything a signing bonus, you need to pay it immediately. Even if you get to amortize it over the contract in Accounting. And even with Terry's deep pockets, theres still only so much cash to throw around.

If you are referring to the $3m roster bonus for Williams ... this is paid in full in the next week anyway I believe 

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

If you are referring to the $3m roster bonus for Williams ... this is paid in full in the next week anyway I believe 

Ah, true, true. That is a 2021 roster bonus. Good call. Nevermind. Well then... BEANE'S ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL! :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 2