Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

HOUSE

On 3/17/2021 at 9:04 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

Yes, what evidence have you seen other than the word of the lawyer? All four happened to have the same lawyer and all 4 did not go to the police? I will wait for the evidence but you will take the word of a known scumbag lawyer.

I don’t know anything about the lawyer - what makes him a scumbag 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a puzzle, for sure.  But it seems like athletes around the NFL who are young, relatively wealthy (even the rookie practice squad guys are making money in the 95th percentile for the US, straight out of college), and have the social "capitol" of playing a professional sport, regularly get into trouble with sketchy encounters when it would seem probable to us that there would be women lining up to give them whatever they want, in an aboveboard and 100% consensual way.

I can only think that the ambiguity or risks of the situation must be part of the allure.  Look at the "Cheesecake Factory #### ###" story about Baker Mayfield.  Someone here who seems to have some inside info about Berea said something to the effect that it was considered "par for the course" with Mayfield's behaviors at the time and that his wife knew and was OK with it, IIRC.

Does she have a sister?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

The plaintiffs’ lawyer released some of Watson’s texts to two of the women today.  If that’s all he’s got, it’s pretty underwhelming.  I’m starting to smell a rat.

They are posted earlier in the thread - florio felt it was weak but it was a preview 

I don’t know, the timing of this is really strange. He wanted out of Houston and all of a sudden these allegations come forth? I find that really strange. I need to see evidence that backs up these claims, I’m not saying it didn’t happen but you got to admit that the timing is peculiar. I’m going to wait and see if these women have any undeniable proof, until then I’m going to try and keep an open mind. Some of these women may have actually had voluntary sex with Watson and now they see an opportunity to cash in. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was going to say that in jest but didn’t want to insult any attorneys on the board 

That's why I said I kid I kid

But if you sign up to be a lawyer, I mean it comes with the job 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, mannc said:

The plaintiffs’ lawyer released some of Watson’s texts to two of the women today.  If that’s all he’s got, it’s pretty underwhelming.  I’m starting to smell a rat.

I try not to discount people who make claims out of hand, but the timing and nature of this with the media blitz by this lawyer (and his sleeze) seem suspicious. 

Edited by jeremy2020

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the logical counter to Barr's statement would be that if the rest of the 70% reported their crimes to police, the number of false reports would be likely to go up as well.

Because I'm guessing they're including in that 70% the accusers who skip criminal reporting and go straight to civil lawsuits, much like Watson's accusers. And I'm guessing that among people who go straight for money rather than justice is a higher percentage of people who might be willing to stretch the truth for their own gain.

Of course, also within that 70% are real victims who are just too scared to come forward. Which makes the situation simply all the more tragic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's a puzzle, for sure.  But it seems like athletes around the NFL who are young, relatively wealthy (even the rookie practice squad guys are making money in the 95th percentile for the US, straight out of college), and have the social "capital" of playing a professional sport, regularly get into trouble with sketchy encounters when it would seem probable to us that there would be women lining up to give them whatever they want, in an aboveboard and 100% consensual way.

I can only think that the ambiguity or risks of the situation must be part of the allure.  Look at the "Cheesecake Factory #### ###" story about Baker Mayfield.  Someone here who seems to have some inside info about Berea said something to the effect that it was considered "par for the course" with Mayfield's behaviors at the time and that his wife knew and was OK with it, IIRC.

That woman, taking her story at face value, was very clear about the consentuality of what happened - she knew beforehand what Mayfield wanted, she came there expecting to provide it, they chatted, then Mayfield explicitly asked "are we gonna do this or not?" giving her a chance to back out or go forward.  Mayfield came out of that episode (again, taking it at face value) looking like a sleeze, but a consentual sleeze.

But Mayfield had clearly put himself in a situation (again, taking story at face value that it occurred) where the woman could have told a totally different version, made him look much worse, and hired a lawyer.  Then if the "par for the course" part was correct, maybe a dozen other women woulda come out of the woodwork.

Why would a guy do that?  I can only think either the risks of the situation must be part of what they want, or they're so focused on football that they have no clue as to other ways to proceed.

You asked why would they do that.

It's an expression of power. "Look what I can get/do/have"

To bring it down to our level, it's like speeding, knowing that you've got a cop buddy who can get you out of a ticket.

You just do it because it's cool you can do something others aren't allowed to.

What happened here (IF TRUE!!) is like going TOO fast and your cop buddy can't get you out of it. Then all the other things your buddy swept away for you come out and now you SOL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t know, the timing of this is really strange. He wanted out of Houston and all of a sudden these allegations come forth? I find that really strange. I need to see evidence that backs up these claims, I’m not saying it didn’t happen but you got to admit that the timing is peculiar. I’m going to wait and see if these women have any undeniable proof, until then I’m going to try and keep an open mind. Some of these women may have actually had voluntary sex with Watson and now they see an opportunity to cash in. 

Maybe that's part of the reason he wanted out of Houston? He was starting to get the sense he had made too many mistakes around town and needed a fresh start hoping none of this would catch up to him. It never really made sense to me that he signs his huge extension AFTER they trade away Hopkins and then he has an epiphany that the organization is a train wreck and he demands a trade.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know anything about the lawyer - what makes him a scumbag 

He has been very public with several cases through the media in Houston trying to gain leverage for cases. I don't think all lawyers are scumbags but most of the big name ones are.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He has been very public with several cases through the media in Houston trying to gain leverage for cases. I don't think all lawyers are scumbags but most of the big name ones are.

This is my problem with his case strategy. Typically if you have the facts on your side you argue the law and don't engage in this grandstanding. If your facts and evidence are shaky, you use media pressure and play the man to pressure them to take a settlement. Like I said before: I don't know if his cases have merit, but if they do he's coming off as self-serving through all these histrionics.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2