Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

HOUSE

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Turning into an attempted money grab with all these women piling in for a quick payday opportunity is what it looks like

People will do a lot for money....including kill for it. Accusing a random person you really have no relationship with to get some is well within a lot of people's moral compass.

I don’t think he is denying that he went to these women.  Didn’t deny he found some of them on social media.  

there are another 10 or so coming forward I hear also.  So over twenty for sure.  Who goes to that many different massage therapists??   Every person I know that uses one finds a good one and stays with them. 

I just see as someone said a “kink” that’s got him in trouble. Hard to see 20+ making it up 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Never put rich, successful men on a pedestal, unless you know them very personally. And even then. Especially elite athletes who have been treated differently since they began playing sports at a young age. Enjoy the entertainment they provide, and celebrate the good works they might do in the community. But don't ever be shocked to discover dark secrets about the way they treat women. Many men are only as decent as their opportunities allow. 

It would be cool if that begins to change now that nothing stays secret for long. Maybe there is a silver lining to our societal loss of privacy. 

Think about the Buffalo Bills legends of the 80s and 90s. Or that larger than life legend from the 70s. They're often, but definitely not always, deeply flawed dudes. Elite competitiveness and unshakeable self-confidence don't usually add up to decency.

That's my rant. 

But here's to hoping that QB17 is a different breed of beast!

Look no further than Man of the Year Eugene Robinson getting arrested for solicitation the night before the SB with his wife and kids resting nearby. Not my place to judge him, but I’ll also say I never praised him....or anyone else I’ve never even met. Heck, Bill Cosby was an ICON!

As I’ve said many times before, I buy Bills gear, not jerseys. I don’t even know these guys! BUT, if I ever were to buy a jersey, it would probably be Kyle Williams.  EDIT: NOT a shot at the jersey folks out there. I LOVE seeing a sea of Bills jersey in every city I go to a game. It’s just a personal thing for me, and I know I’m probably in the minority.

I’ll wait and see on Watson. Too much is unknown, an the process needs to play out. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why is anyone shocked and/or devastated to learn that a famous man abuses women?

Is it because, although none off us known anything at all about the him, we assumed he was a nice guy?

Are we "shocked" that women often feel it isn't worth it to be the first to charge a famous ("beloved") athlete?

None of this is even a little bit shocking.

Oh, yeah? So you don’t think that the parents of children in Houston have a lot of explaining to do when it comes to their children who wear Deshaun Watson jerseys? It is disappointing. To me it is shocking and devastating. We’re talking about a star who fell, many kids idolize him. This doesn’t happen every day. This is a scandal of Bill Cosby, Darren Sharper and Kellen Winslow like proportions. Many folks such as myself are struggling to see if there’s any good left in the world, these last two years have been tough and it’s probably only going to continue to get worse from here.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Oh, yeah? So you don’t think that the parents of children in Houston have a lot of explaining to do when it comes to their children who wear Deshaun Watson jerseys? It is disappointing. To me it is shocking and devastating. We’re talking about a star who fell, many kids idolize him. This doesn’t happen every day. This is a scandal of Bill Cosby, Darren Sharper and Kellen Winslow like proportions. Many folks such as myself are struggling to see if there’s any good left in the world, these last two years have been tough and it’s probably only going to continue to get worse from here.

You're looking for good in all the wrong places. 

Edited by Bferra13
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

15 hours ago, TBBills said:

When you read these things they are saying it almost sounds like a fetish... Which is what lots of these people in power have done in the past that have come to light.

Yes, and probably some form of addiction. 

It seems to me that Watson was making decisions. He did NOT want to go down the roads of Von Miller and Shady McCoy. They got bad press. Watson appears to have wanted powerless women that he could feel free to enjoy, abuse, and then dispose of. 

Again, open any newspaper and see what horrific things VERY powerful men are doing to women. In many circumstances, these women get little to no support, even from other women. 

As for posters on this board, maybe we should ask ourselves just how many allegations of sexual abuse/misconduct we could accumulate before we would get into very serious trouble. 

It just isn't fair what athletes and others in power can get away with. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

In todays day and age who knows?  Its odd a proffessional athlete in 2020/21 who is well paid doesnt have a trusted person to do his weekly messages.  For top athletes is almost a required expense to take care of your body.  Why does he seem to look for amatuers?  Seems fishy to me.  In terms of character we as NFL fans know these woman just as well as we know Watson.  Im not saying he is guilty but dang 20 some differant women telling similar but differant stories in a creepy, R Kelly/ Eipstienish fashion is concerning.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

This could all still go the Kobe route too. Kobe's reputation as a pretty clean young kid took a big hit but ultimately he would go on to retire as one of if not the greatest Laker of all-time and beloved by millions. Kobe never stopped playing during the season he was on trial for his rape accusation in Colorado. That's why I think even if this does go to trial in season I think the best thing for Watson is to continue playing. Unfortunately for Watson, I don't think Goodell and the NFL's personal conduct policy would allow for a player to continue playing with such a trial going on. 

12 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I don’t think he is denying that he went to these women.  Didn’t deny he found some of them on social media.  

there are another 10 or so coming forward I hear also.  So over twenty for sure.  Who goes to that many different massage therapists??   Every person I know that uses one finds a good one and stays with them. 

I just see as someone said a “kink” that’s got him in trouble. Hard to see 20+ making it up 

Tend to agree with you.  It's not an isolated thing.  Reminds me a bit of the Louis CK scandals in just the strangeness of it.  Like he could easily get women through instagram DMs or whatever, but he apparently targeted massage therapists and enjoyed exposing himself to them.  

But when there is this much smoke, there's probably a fire.  

• Like (+1) 1

The fact that watson has said almost nothing while accusations continue to roll in is probably the best evidence they have at this point.

Maybe there are legal reasons to stay silent but if I was innocent I would find it almost impossible to not speak up and defend myself. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Would be great if we're correct.

I don't know if "very humble beginnings" is completely accurate, as he's a talented white dude from a solid family with a successful farm. Many people's beginnings are certainly a heck of a lot humbler than his. He's not a rich kid or a 5-star D-1 recruit, but we caught a glimpse of some tone-deaf teenage privilege in those tweets released on the eve of the draft.

Nevertheless I agree that he certainly seems to be a solid person who HAS had to work very hard to get to where he is now. People who know him genuinely seem to like the guy.

This. 

It has to be understood that being a prominent farm family in a small town, means something different than being a prominent wealthy family in a larger city.  As a farm family, even a well-off one, you're still living in the land of "nothing is given, everything is earned" and can go through years of scant money if harvests fail. 

Farmers who are decent and treat their workers like men retain the best and hire the best; I'm sure Josh learned "treat everyone alike, treat everyone decently" from his Dad.  The School Superintendent in Firebaugh didn't tear up talking about what Josh had meant to the community and how much he contributed (when Tim Graham interviewed him) because Josh behaved like a typical entitled jerk athlete.

But Josh was still from one of the prominent, most successful families in the area.  It's not like he grew up in a log cabin somewhere, or was one of the farm workers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Process said:

The fact that watson has said almost nothing while accusations continue to roll in is probably the best evidence they have at this point.

Maybe there are legal reasons to stay silent but if I was innocent I would find it almost impossible to not speak up and defend myself. 

While my gut absolutely tells me there is something very serious that has gone on here and there is fire to the smoke, guilty or innocent the right legal advice to your client is to say nothing. I said the same thing last year about the Ed Oliver arrest. He ended up being innocent (not sure Watson is) but he still said nothing. Any lawyer worth their salt would advise that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but why are these "civil" cases and not "criminal".  I don't understand how every sexual assault isn't a criminal case.

There has been no report of a crime to the police to this point. I now understand that the lawyer representing the alleged victims has passed a file to the police and criminal charges may follow if the Police believe there to be sufficient evidence to bring charges. But this is a civil claim for damages, ie. compensation. Even if the police decide not to charge (or they charge but Watson is found not guilty) it does not mean Watson is not liable to the civil standard of proof which is lower than the criminal one. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There has been no report of a crime to the police to this point. I now understand that the lawyer representing the alleged victims has passed a file to the police and criminal charges may follow if the Police believe there to be sufficient evidence to bring charges. But this is a civil claim for damages, ie. compensation. Even if the police decide not to charge (or they charge but Watson is found not guilty) it does not mean Watson is not liable to the civil standard of proof which is lower than the criminal one. 

Sorry but that makes zero sense to me.  I don't understand how a person wouldn't first go to the police in a sexual assault situation.  Like I understand the victims hesitation to do anything based on fear or other factors, but if the person has the courage to come forward, the police should be contacted right away instead of the media or a lawyer.  

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Sorry but that makes zero sense to me.  I don't understand how a person wouldn't first go to the police in a sexual assault situation.  Like I understand the victims hesitation to do anything based on fear or other factors, but if the person has the courage to come forward, the police should be contacted right away instead of the media or a lawyer.  

I don’t know.  It’s about power.  These women have way more power doing it the way they did.  There’s always the risk that the police disregard the allegations individually against a powerful guy like Watson. I’m not saying watsons guilty or not, but if true these women went about it the right way because now there’s no way this can be swept under the rug or slow walked by the police.  

• Like (+1) 2

A few things look somewhat suspicious to me, if actually true.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texans-star-deshaun-watson-now-facing-13-sexual-misconduct-lawsuits-under-investigation-by-nfl/

- it seems like almost every time he went for a massage, he went to a new, relatively unknown female masseuse.

- most appear to be single mothers he reached out to on Instagram

- the details shared by all of these women are very similar.

- just the sheer number of women coming forward (13 lawsuits filed so far)

Why look for random female masseuses on Instagram?

Why go to unknown/cheap masseuses at all when you have access to the best trainers + therapy in the world?

Why a new person all the time? Most people I know who go to massage therapy find a therapist they like.

We don’t even know if these allegations are true though. I’ll hold judgement until I see how Watson’s lawyer responds and what evidence both sides offer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

A few things look somewhat suspicious to me, if actually true.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texans-star-deshaun-watson-now-facing-13-sexual-misconduct-lawsuits-under-investigation-by-nfl/

- it seems like almost every time he went for a massage, he went to a new, relatively unknown female masseuse.

- most appear to be single mothers he reached out to on Instagram

- the details shared by all of these women are very similar.

- just the sheer number of women coming forward (13 lawsuits filed so far)

Why look for random female masseuses on Instagram?

Why go to unknown/cheap masseuses at all when you have access to the best trainers + therapy in the world?

Why a new person all the time? Most people I know who go to massage therapy find a therapist they like.

We don’t even know if these allegations are true though. I’ll hold judgement until I see how Watson’s lawyer responds and what evidence both sides offer.

The pattern is very concerning. Offenders of this type do tend to have a pattern of behaviour that they repeat. 

• Like (+1) 1