Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

HOUSE

21 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

They can do a number of things: 

First, and foremost, is that they should place him on the commissioners exempt list. Essentially, this would remove him from the Texans 53 and make him ineligible to play (while still being paid). The NFL has an extensive history (Vick, Hardy, Hunt, etc) of using this process while legal proceedings are underway. It puts the onus on the league, instead of the team, to step in and handle the situation. 

Second, they could suspend him temporarily or indefinitely. There does not need to be a civil/criminal charge or a conviction to do so. So to answer your question, it would remove him from the team facilities and dock his pay. 

The NFL’s inaction while the legal proceeding play out, although the norm lately in many player situations, is a cop out. In my opinion, they are taking the easy road out, hiding behind due process instead of taking a stand against some obvious injustices. The league claims to champion social issues, promotes equality and wants to appear to be a progressive voice in our country, yet when faced with the chance to take a stand, does nothing. 

I will disagree with you on taking any further action since accusations are not charges. Right now he has no charges, just an investigation. If the Texans were dumb enough to say they will let him play then an action would be needed. The main reason I say no further action until at least a formal indictment is right now he is not getting near the field, which is only real punishment from NFL and we don't want a precedent where we are suspending players because of just accusations. I hope the DA office handles this properly and he gets what is coming to him but the NFL can only keep him off field and stop paying him and we are not at the point we're they can stop pay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I’ll say it again, the NFL is embarrassing themselves with how they’re handling this situation. 

What should they do?  Why are they embarrassing themselves? 

It sounds to me like they are waiting on the legal side to make a decision and will decide on whether he can play or not as they approach the first game.

They are leaving the legal parts to the legal team and forcing Houston to deal with the situation rather than letting them off the hook.

I have no issue with what they are doing right now.

36 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

They can do a number of things: 

First, and foremost, is that they should place him on the commissioners exempt list. Essentially, this would remove him from the Texans 53 and make him ineligible to play (while still being paid). The NFL has an extensive history (Vick, Hardy, Hunt, etc) of using this process while legal proceedings are underway. It puts the onus on the league, instead of the team, to step in and handle the situation. 

Second, they could suspend him temporarily or indefinitely. There does not need to be a civil/criminal charge or a conviction to do so. So to answer your question, it would remove him from the team facilities and dock his pay. 

The NFL’s inaction while the legal proceeding play out, although the norm lately in many player situations, is a cop out. In my opinion, they are taking the easy road out, hiding behind due process instead of taking a stand against some obvious injustices. The league claims to champion social issues, promotes equality and wants to appear to be a progressive voice in our country, yet when faced with the chance to take a stand, does nothing. 

All that does is help the Texans - right now it should be the Texans deciding what he can do.

The NFL should put him on the commissioner’s list before game 1, but not now.

What are the consequences if they take a stand against injustice and we find out he is innocent - look no further than when they went the other way on Kapernick.  Ideally they should stay out of it until Game #1 and then force a decision by the Texans.  Don’t give the team an out - that is what Houston wants.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I agree it is embarrassing but how could they handle it better at this point? What does suspending him do that the Texans are not doing themselves?

Well player does not even want to be there but due to new rule he has to be or be fined and these fines cannot be waived.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-why-holding-out-during-training-camp-is-no-longer-a-bargaining-tool-for-todays-nfl-stars/

It would be better to give him a free pass to do whatever he wanted paid for by team?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I will disagree with you on taking any further action since accusations are not charges. Right now he has no charges, just an investigation. If the Texans were dumb enough to say they will let him play then an action would be needed. The main reason I say no further action until at least a formal indictment is right now he is not getting near the field, which is only real punishment from NFL and we don't want a precedent where we are suspending players because of just accusations. I hope the DA office handles this properly and he gets what is coming to him but the NFL can only keep him off field and stop paying him and we are not at the point we're they can stop pay.

How do you reconcile this, 22 accusations for Watson, vs 2 accusations for AB? the NFL is hypocritical and doesn't want to lose money with ticket sales in Houston, period. AB was exempt-listed when he was a top 3 WR, but that's not the same as a Top 5 QB. Money is the only reason Watson isn't on the exempt list. 

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

How do you reconcile this, 22 accusations for Watson, vs 2 accusations for AB? the NFL is hypocritical and doesn't want to lose money with ticket sales in Houston, period. AB was exempt-listed when he was a top 3 WR, but that's not the same as a Top 5 QB. Money is the only reason Watson isn't on the exempt list. 

I don’t agree with that. There’s always variables behind the scenes we don’t know about. I’m sure there’s more to all this than what’s been made public. Nobody is out buying a ticket right now in Houston because Watson isn’t suspended or on the exempt list yet. 

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I am too lazy to look up AB but would Pitt have sat him? Houston is making it easy for NFL not to react. As for Watson the NFL can always impose the suspension once Texans take theirs off, and I think the NFL is trying to figure out how to ban him for life if he is found guilty of all these women.

33 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

How many games has Watson played since being accused?

AB was exempted after there was proof of him texting back and going after an accuser.  He also had attacked a moving truck and driver.  

Things occurred with AB and it happened during the season - so they put him on the list.

I will consider Watson and AB to be the same if once the games start and charges are filed - if they allow him to play through the charges.

How the NFL should handle this is a no win situation - my guess is prior to actual games he should be put on the commissioners list, but for preseason the Texans should be dealing with the issue.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

AB was exempted after there was proof of him texting back and going after an accuser.  He also had attacked a moving truck and driver.  

You know what, you're right. This makes my point invalid. In a TBD first, I'm changing my mind because facts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

You know what, you're right. This makes my point invalid. In a TBD first, I'm changing my mind because facts.

Look to be fair - I totally agree that Watson is a scumbag that should be suspended as soon as possible.  If they kicked him right out of the league - that is still to good for the guy, but I really see how the NFL is in a tight situation here and I think they are really hoping something breaks to make the decision clear which way these various groups are leaning.

I have always assumed either way he will go on the list the week prior to Week 1 and Houston knows that - which is why he is spending little time as QB because he will be unavailable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Why in gods name would the Dolphins trade for him?? He’s not playing this year and seeing how this case could go, he may never play again. If I were Ross I would fire Grier for making such a dumb trade

May do it as part of trade with Texans taking Tua as part of compensation since he does not appear to having success in camp.

I will need to update this T-Shirt in orange and puce colors.

No-Need-4-Penis-small.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

May do it as part of trade with Texans taking Tua as part of compensation since he does not appear to having success in camp.

I will need to update this T-Shirt in orange and puce colors.

No-Need-4-Penis-small.gif

Lol to the picture. Also I thought Tua was doing well in camp? he looked alright against the Bengals last game.