Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

HOUSE

On 7/26/2021 at 3:39 AM, GunnerBill said:

If he is traded my understanding was before everything cooled off in the spring the Panthers were the team at the head of the chase. Their view is allegedly if he doesn't face criminal charges they want him, hence they didn't draft a guy they took a flier on Sam Darnold. That isn't to say Miami couldn't re-emerge but it is by no means a done deal that if he is traded it is to the Dolphins.

I will re-state my prediction from a the day the Panthers acquired Darnold.  Because I agreed the Panthers were most likely for Watson.

Panthers still want Watson.  Panthers gauge that Texans will accept Darnold in trade, plus/minus whatever extras are negotiated.  Panthers guage that Texans would prefer Darnold over any QB that the Panthers could have drafted this year.

Texans can sell Darnold to the fanbase, as a rising QB (now removed from the stink of the Jets) with starter experience, and All-America somethingorother. 

Edited by maddenboy

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So now this becomes a criminal case?

I don’t think charges have been filed.  The women have made criminal complaints, but except in wierd states like PA it’s “up to” the prosecutor to decide whether or not the complaint rises to a prosecutable crime.

Perhaps one of our lawyer types will set me straight if I’m mistaken

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He’s not playing this year.  

I actually think any NFL action, following their usual pattern, would not take place until after the civil case completes.  The link said 

Watson wasn’t even scheduled to testify in that case until January.

Of course, if criminal charges are actually filed that could change things.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He’s not playing this year.  

Yeah, I don't see how but this is the NFL so who knows? This screams Commissioners exempt list until it gets sorted.

Edited by Beast

On 7/25/2021 at 12:45 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Every time Tyrod thinks he's going to be his team's starter, they yank the ball away like Lucy does to Charlie Brown. 

"Just when I thought I was in...they pull me back out!"

It's the Bizarro world of Tyrod Taylor!

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

What team is going to invest all those resources to make him the face of the franchise? His legal problems aren't settled yet and it would be a PR nightmare to bring him in.

🤔

Bad reputation and bad optics of multiple litigants?  A QB?  This has Raiders written all over it! 😁

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t think charges have been filed.  The women have made criminal complaints, but except in wierd states like PA it’s “up to” the prosecutor to decide whether or not the complaint rises to a prosecutable crime.

Correct. The police will look at allegations made. I understand there was already an active file. At some point they will need to decide to put that file in front of a prosecutor when they feel it is strong enough and a decision on criminal charges is ultimately the prosecutors. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Putin said:

After what he did to all those women I hope  he never plays again 

Except there seems be no proof of what they said happening. Also he has still not been charged for that reason.  What I hate about things now people are tried on social media and the damn press before they are even charged with a dang thing. Pretty much guaranteeing a polluted jury pool. 

43 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Except there seems be no proof of what they said happening. Also he has still not been charged for that reason.  What I hate about things now people are tried on social media and the damn press before they are even charged with a dang thing. Pretty much guaranteeing a polluted jury pool. 

I’m no legal expert but the fact that two of the 10 bringing criminal cases did not file civil cases is a bad sign for him. And isnt a jury purposely selected to contain people who are not previously aware of the case? Not sure there is a “guarantee” it would be polluted. I randomly asked my cousin a couple weeks who lives in LA if she knew who he was as the situation had come up in conversation. and she said no. I’m sure they can get a clean jury together. Ultimately whether he’s charged and convicted is not part and parcel to his football future. If he’s considered good enough he will likely come back and play even if he goes to jail.  Only thing is Andy Reid already has a QB.

I am most curious right now as to what Roger does with the exempt list. They can’t really roll him out there representing the shield with 20+ Cases filed against him?

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am most curious right now as to what Roger does with the exempt list. They can’t really roll him out there representing the shield with 20+ Cases filed against him?

Agree. But they don't want to suspend him for a season he is happy to sit out anyway. I have said all along the NFL is in a tough spot here.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. But they don't want to suspend him for a season he is happy to sit out anyway. I have said all along the NFL is in a tough spot here.

According to John McClain who is as tuned into to the Texans as anyone, he will never take another snap for them. He was on ESPN radio last night. He believes the Texans have moved on but want to get as much as they can for him. They haven’t just started listening to offers, they have been open for awhile,  but haven’t gotten anything good enough. Now, what kind of reps will he get in TC? Is he QB1? QB3? Crazy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Always did.  There is zero chance he is innocent based on the number of victims.  

1) he doesnt have to be "innocent."  Just "Not-Guilty" beyond a reasonable doubt, or by preponderance of evidence.  And it depends on the definition of the crime.  And what the NFL will do with it after the dust settles.

2) they arent "victims" yet.  They are accusers.  Until its proven that something wrong happened, there's no "victims."

3)  I agree there's zero chance that nothing happened.  But maybe not to each accuser the same way, and maybe nothing happened that is legally wrong.  Maybe something Morally "wrong" happened. 

Edited by maddenboy

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct here in California.  [former prosecutor here]

Indeed, in CA at least, we dont need the victim's co-opertation in DV cases or related cases like sexual abuse or crimes with underage victims.  There is no such thing here as "the victim declined to press charges."  Its not up to the victim here.   Here, we understand that there are many reasons why a victim would decline to go forward. 

Anytime I hear a prosecutorial agency say they arent going forward because the victim "declined  to prosecute" or "recanted" or is uncooperative, I see an agency that is lazy or understaffed.

We need a good Texas lawyer to chime in.  But likely Texas is aggressive too.

Edited by maddenboy

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m no legal expert but the fact that two of the 10 bringing criminal cases did not file civil cases is a bad sign for him. And isnt a jury purposely selected to contain people who are not previously aware of the case? Not sure there is a “guarantee” it would be polluted. I randomly asked my cousin a couple weeks who lives in LA if she knew who he was as the situation had come up in conversation. and she said no. I’m sure they can get a clean jury together. Ultimately whether he’s charged and convicted is not part and parcel to his football future. If he’s considered good enough he will likely come back and play even if he goes to jail.  Only thing is Andy Reid already has a QB.

Roger Goodall: “YOLO, Hold My Beer”

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

First the case would be in Houston where everyone knows who he is even non football fans.  (My wife hates football still knows who Cam Newton is. )  Second the press and social media down there be 10X worse and the chances of getting 12 people who truly didn’t know anything about it is slimmer than winning the lotto.

second as I said the reason. I charges are filed because there is no evidence he did anything. Unlike civil cases to get a conviction or heck even an a grand jury to endite you need SOME proof. Right now it’s all “he made me do this” with hi. Saying he didn’t. 

As for football they are tough when the player is either at the end of his career or sucks.. even then they usually get it wrong.