Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

3 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Are there even any jurors in a civil case? Thought jurors were there for criminal/appeals etc. Thought just had to convince the judge as for he/she dealt the verdict? I'm not 100% on that but anyways....

Here in the US, yes.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We don't have jurors in civil hearings in the UK. It is very old fashioned to me. Indeed I was in charge of the legislation that abolished the last presumption in favour of jury trial in civil proceedings (in defamation) in 2013.  

Edit: actually I think there is still a presumption for false imprisonment in the civil courts although in reality the presumption is always rebutted and the trials are judge only.

You've reached the apex of civility.  Civil court jury trials here are absolutely ridiculous.  Particularly malpractice. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We don't have jurors in civil hearings in the UK. It is very old fashioned to me. Indeed I was in charge of the legislation that abolished the last presumption in favour of jury trial in civil proceedings (in defamation) in 2013.  

Edit: actually I think there is still a presumption for false imprisonment in the civil courts although in reality the presumption is always rebutted and the trials are judge only.

Thanks.  Did not know that about the UK.

18 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

ok, was curious because every claims court (which is also civil right?) I have ever had the pleasure of attending there was no jury. I see that's Texas so figured states do different things so wasn't sure.

You are thinking of small-claims courts, where they key word is "small". And yes, it is also civil, but since it is "small", items like juries are remedies like injunctions and amount you can claim are often limited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_claims_court

"Trial by jury is seldom or never conducted in small-claims courts; it is typically excluded by the statute establishing the court. "

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:30 AM, GunnerBill said:

No he doesn't. That is a misunderstanding of the law I am afraid. The standard of proof is the lower standard - the balance of probabilities - but the burden to prove that standard falls on the plaintiff. That bit is no different to a criminal case. The defendant's version of events is assumed and the claimant must prove to the court that their assertion is more likely than not true. The defense doesn't have to "prove" anything. What it has to do is simply create sufficient doubt about the assertions of the plaintiff. You need to create more doubt in a civil case because of the lower standard but you don't have to prove innocence. That is not what the law is founded on. It is founded on the principle that one must prove guilt (or liability to be precise as we are talking civil law). 

I have said already in this thread on numerous occasions that I think on the basis of the evidence that is in the public domain the plaintiff has a strong case to prove the civil standard. But the burden remains on them to prove it.

agreed. I did not state my point as correctly as I should have. ty for details.

Edited by cba fan

On 5/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, Patrick_Duffy said:

I didn't think there was here. At least not the civil cases I have been involved with. A poster posted a link that they do, however that was in Texas. So maybe some states do and some don't. Anyways...

There are jury trials for virtually all civil cases in all states.  Small claims courts vary by state, but a lot can still have juries.

like criminal trials, parties can agree to a bench trial which is just a judge with no jury.  But it isn’t very common, this is a guess, but it may be more common in criminal trials than general civil trials (excluding types that is general practice to not have a jury) to not have a jury.  I could be very wrong on the last point

Edited by Crayola64

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No cause? I guess we will see 

I understand the points about the salary, fines, and message to trade partners.

I don't understand the "no cause to put him on exempt list".  Goodell has shown again and again that his decisions don't necessarily play out as others expect.

I also don't understand who the trade partners would be, for a trade.  At this point every team has gone ahead with their own plans.  If Rodgers retires and GB gets their money back, Green Bay could use a QB but unsure they can afford him.  Certainly if Rodgers retires, then unretires to be traded, GB would need cap for that.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand the points about the salary, fines, and message to trade partners.

I don't understand the "no cause to put him on exempt list".  Goodell has shown again and again that his decisions don't necessarily play out as others expect.

I think the point being made is “I am here and they have not done it yet - for a reason” as opposed to staying away and the reason potentially being that he made it easy to side step the formal designation being placed 

19 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think the point being made is “I am here and they have not done it yet - for a reason” as opposed to staying away and the reason potentially being that he made it easy to side step the formal designation being placed 

I don't grasp the meaning "he made it easy to side step the formal designation being placed"

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't grasp the meaning "he made it easy to side step the formal designation being placed"

if he voluntarily isn’t showing up already the league office may be a bit slower to take a stance that they would have to legally defend. 

showing up forces their hands to say whether or not he’s allowed in the building.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

My guess is he is going to pay a ridiculous amt. of $ to get out of it, the defendants all of a sudden are silent, and he is suspended for a year.

The crazy thing is there are still teams interested in paying for his rights, and waiting for him.  Don’t sleep on Miami.  I’m hopeful Tua has a great year.  I actually hope he does as I don’t want to face Watson for a decade.  The rest of the fins team is talented.  Better to have that show some talent and they don’t take a huge investment on Watson. 

Watson bad for us.  Tua good.  Let them take second place and win 10 games ahead again of the pats.  That would be fun, but still maybe a wildcard 1 and done.  Ship watson to the nfc somewhere.  God knows there WB’s are getting old.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1