Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Buzbee's idea of the "right number" has escalated substantially.  And if he has the ego his affect in the media appears to convey, it probably "cha-chings" upwards almost every time Hardin opens his mouth and says something about Buzbee, the case, or the women involved.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Buzbee's idea of the "right number" has escalated substantially.  And if he has the ego his affect in the media appears to convey, it probably "cha-chings" upwards almost every time Hardin opens his mouth and says something about Buzbee, the case, or the women involved.

Hardin said yesterday that he intends to “try” every case, so maybe he and Watson aren’t on the same page. He probably wants to try every case because $$$

If you want to report for a paper that is still trying to maintain journalistic standards, you can't say the stuff Wilson said, even off the "Chronicle" clock in an interview with another media outlet.  You are seen as "Aaron Wilson, reporter for the Houston Chronicle.

Stuff Wilson said includes:

“I don’t know them, I know him,” Wilson said after being accused by host Greg Hill of being pro-Watson. “I’m not gonna throw the guy under the bus before I have some proof. I don’t feel like I have the proof, just it’s allegations.”

Very fair, especially given:

The interview happened very early in the process, before Buzbee even had his first press conference. At the time, there weren’t many accusers and there were legitimate questions about Buzbee’s tactics and the evidence he had offered up publicly. For example, the night before Wilson’s appearance, Buzbee had posted some social-media messages from Watson that hardly amounted to smoking guns of guilt.

But then he also said stuff like:

Wilson, in an interview that remains available online, called the lawsuits against Watson a “money grab” and “ambulance chasing.” Wilson also used an unfortunate, inaccurate, and ill-advised term while clumsily attempting to explain Watson’s approach to the efforts to resolve the claims before the first lawsuit was filed.

“In his case, you know, it’s kind of like you don’t, you know, you don’t negotiate with terrorists,” Wilson said

It would be fair to say those things AS reporting the mindset of Watson's camp, making it very clear that he was explaining their viewpoint.  He didn't.  They could reasonably be interpreted as his beliefs.

But at a place where we don't have the whole story from either side, I would have to agree with the Chronicle executive editor Steve Riley that referring to Buzbee as "ambulance chasing" and to Buzbee and the women involved as "terrorists" went way too far:

“This note serves as a reminder that as we report, analyze and describe those allegations, those who bring them and the person they are brought against, we must approach the story with fairness and care toward all involved. Given the frequency of content we are creating, on a growing number of print and digital channels, our editors must also be more vigilant with our oversight of coverage on all platforms. . . . Facts are good. Analysis is OK. Opinion, speculation or baseless assertions are not. We won’t tolerate that sort of commentary.”

Wilson was employed by the Chronicle as a reporter, not as an opinion-generator.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hardin said yesterday that he intends to “try” every case, so maybe he and Watson aren’t on the same page. He probably wants to try every case because $$$

If so, then since Watson is paying the bills, he needs to get with Hardin and get him on the same page. 

But, even if Hardin and Watson are on the same page, I think their best leverage at this point is to make Buzbee and the plaintiffs believe that they're perfectly ready to go forward and fight every case tooth and nail, making life as publicly unpleasant for the women as possible in the process.

I believe I read that both attorneys have already agreed to handle all 22 cases as "one case" for the purpose of pre-trial motions?

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I see it more as a tactic to try and keep the settle price as low as possible. The alleged victims can get some money now or risk going to court and getting nothing. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But at a place where we don't have the whole story from either side, I would have to agree with the Chronicle executive editor Steve Riley that referring to Buzbee as "ambulance chasing" and to Buzbee and the women involved as "terrorists" went way too far:

Maybe Watson will give him a job as his press secretary.

13 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

So at this point, Team Watson has admitted to:

- Using AT LEAST 40 different MTs (more on that)

- Shopping for MTs on IG

- Flying some in from out of state

- And now having consensual sex with some. 

Let’s dig into that last one:

- We know 24(?) different MTs claim he made unwanted advances. 

- He introduced another 20 who he didn’t make sexual advances towards (He was very professional they claim)

- Now admits to having consensual sex with yet ANOTHER pool of MTs (so not the ones he intro’d and not the ones suing)

His only contention at this time, is that he does make sexual advances towards his MTs but they all wanted it. 

The frat boy / jock excuse is pretty lame. 

I particularly love the part when his lawyer says (paraphrasing) “ He didn’t use his fame/stardom/money to influence or coerce them”.

Bro there’s No Way these ladies didn’t know who you are, and there’s no way you didn’t think who you were entitled you to do whatever it was you actually did. 

I am going to assume you have the homework and confirmed Watson has admitted this- he is dead in the water for public opinion and his best hope is that there is no evidence of actual forcing anything on any of the girls. He sounds like a Charlie Sheen kind of guy, which once again best case is he stayed on the proper side of the law, but his image is destroyed and I am glad he is not our problem.

Rusty Hardon’s presser was so. Bad. 🤣

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am going to assume you have the homework and confirmed Watson has admitted this- he is dead in the water for public opinion and his best hope is that there is no evidence of actual forcing anything on any of the girls. He sounds like a Charlie Sheen kind of guy, which once again best case is he stayed on the proper side of the law, but his image is destroyed and I am glad he is not our problem.

Yes he did admit those things (via his lawyer). 

• Haha (+1) 5

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Links to articles covering of Rusty Hardin's press conference are upthread

A couple of them have links to the actual press conference

Yeah, that's what his lawyer said.  The only thing I can think of is if Hardin has reason to believe some physical evidence was preserved - Watson on a towel, so to speak -and is trying to defuse that impact by openly acknowledging that sexual acts happened, but insisting it was all consensual. 

I don't think there's going to be evidence of force other than testimony of "he said, she said" - it's two people alone in a room, what can there be?

The bit about Watson incredulous "she didn't consent?" and crying is just SMDH, SMDH at Hardin though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Links to articles covering of Rusty Hardin's press conference are upthread

A couple of them have links to the actual press conference

Yeah, that's what his lawyer said.  The only thing I can think of is if Hardin has reason to believe some physical evidence was preserved - Watson on a towel, so to speak -and is trying to defuse that impact by openly acknowledging that sexual acts happened, but insisting it was all consensual. 

I don't think there's going to be evidence of force other than testimony of "he said, she said" - it's two people alone in a room, what can there be?

The bit about Watson incredulous "she didn't consent?" and crying is just SMDH, SMDH at Hardin though.

What threw me off in the presser is he purposely brought multiple female lawyers so they could apparently vouch for him and have that impact. But he says at the beginning the reason he wants all the real names if the accusers is because they “don’t know what happened” and can’t know for sure just by looking at the dates and don’t want to guess. That’s perfectly reasonable. But then the female lawyers from his firm go up there and shout from the rooftops that he didn’t do it, there is no way he could have done it. They know this because they’ve met him and talked with him “millions of times”. It’s been 3 weeks. 

the other thing that was clumsy was at the end when he was all over the place on the IG stuff and got the question about deshaun telling them to wear certain types of clothes. He had no idea how to answer that and said “awe shucks we aren’t going to get into all of that now, what buzbee is putting out there will be depositions, etc” The question specifically stated that there were screen shots of the DMs and Hardin tried to act like it was some baseless assertion. 

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What threw me off in the presser is he purposely brought multiple female lawyers so they could apparently vouch for him and have that impact. But he says at the beginning the reason he wants all the real names if the accusers is because they “don’t know what happened” and can’t know for sure just by looking at the dates and don’t want to guess. That’s perfectly reasonable. But then the female lawyers from his firm go up there and shout from the rooftops that he didn’t do it, there is no way he could have done it. They know this because they’ve met him and talked with him “millions of times”. It’s been 3 weeks. 

the other thing that was clumsy was at the end when he was all over the place on the IG stuff and got the question about deshaun telling them to wear certain types of clothes. He had no idea how to answer that and said “awe shucks we aren’t going to get into all of that now, what buzbee is putting out there will be depositions, etc” The question specifically stated that there were screen shots of the DMs and Hardin tried to act like it was some baseless assertion. 

There is definitely "pot kettle black" in Hardin's handling where he is complaining of Buzbee trying the case in the press/on the internet - while he actively tries to do the same, just not as skillfully.

Is it just me, or is Hardin acting like he's been totally bait-n-switched on this by Watson - like he took the case expecting it to be one thing (maybe 1 or 2 women, allegations of Watson exposing himself during a massage that could be explained away - and it's totally morphed into something else?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There is definitely "pot kettle black" in Hardin's handling where he is complaining of Buzbee trying the case in the press/on the internet - while he actively tries to do the same, just not as skillfully.

Is it just me, or is Hardin acting like he's been totally bait-n-switched on this by Watson - like he took the case expecting it to be one thing (maybe 1 or 2 women, allegations of Watson exposing himself during a massage that could be explained away - and it's totally morphed into something else?

I’m jaded by the fact that Hardin also represented the ex-head of USA Gymnastics in that whole debacle, but he just doesn’t come across well to me 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I see it more as a tactic to try and keep the settle price as low as possible. The alleged victims can get some money now or risk going to court and getting nothing. 

It’s the stuff all lawyers say at this stage of the litigation.  Anything less signals that you’re roadkill.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m jaded by the fact that Hardin also represented the ex-head of USA Gymnastics in that whole debacle, but he just doesn’t come across well to me 

I Did Not Know That.

I already didn't like him, but now it's "dislike by previous client association"

Penny has yet to be tried on charges that he tampered with evidence in the USA Gymnastics scandal, by removing documents from the Karolyi ranch that are still missing, right?

At least he has experience dealing with sleazy cases where his clients are accused of despicable things.

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

When you consider the amount of future earnings at stake, it wouldn’t surprise me if Watson pays these women upwards of $5m each to go away.  Fly in that ointment is if the dude used more than a hundred women for massages, they all could potentially come after him.  

no way. No one is paying 5 mill per. 500k even would be too high for me. If not reasonable at some price point I just say F it. I am fighting all of them to the end and don't care. My career may be ruined anyway.

Only Watson knows what his true exposure is so he must decide.

9 minutes ago, cba fan said:

no way. No one is paying 5 mill per. 500k even would be too high for me. If not reasonable at some price point I just say F it. I am fighting all of them to the end and don't care. My career may be ruined anyway.

Only Watson knows what his true exposure is so he must decide.

It doesn’t even matter if it’s true anymore. There’s too many women and too much creepy/weird behavior.   Watson needs this to go away immediately and start the clock on people forgetting about this which could take years.  Conservatively he could make $400m the next 12 years playing football.  The NFL can’t let him play with that many lawsuits pending.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I see what you did there!

OMG lol......sorry i wish i could take credit for the joke........ i am pretty up on this kind of stuff......but....it was not on purpose I swear.😁🤣

I am laughing at myself now. ty lol

Edited by cba fan
  • Haha (+1) 1