Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

Just now, Southern_Bills said:

I can agree, and my intention was not to defend him. Just simply we all know public opinion moved way quicker than the judicial system. 

I agree it does.  Age we are in and lord knows I never want to be in the position to be judged by that court.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?

Greg Hardy did it (that I know of).  He was actually convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend in a bench trial (largely based upon her testimony), sentenced, and suspended for 10 games.  He then appealed his conviction and requested a jury trial, something NC law allows.  While awaiting the jury trial, he apparently reached a confidential settlement with the victim, who disappeared and failed to appear to testify in the jury trial. 

The charges were dismissed, and the conviction was expunged from his record.   The 10 game suspension was reduced to 4 upon arbitration.

I'm sure others have settled.

The NFL is only partly concerned with "protecting the brand" they're also concerned with the quality of the product.

because the NFL has explicitly suspended players in the past for a failure to cooperate, and having settlement agreements that explicitly forbid cooperation with the nfl would fit that.  Deflate gate and the Al Jazeera incidents are good examples of punishments specifically for lack of cooperation  

I think a settlement with all these victims is extremely unlikely and beyond wishful thinking.  And even more wishful be Watson thinking he could escape any suspension by going that route.  

the nfl is going to investigate this, Watson can’t simply prevent everyone from cooperating and think the nfl would just shrug in confusion 

this is a league that suspended Big Ben, who had two super bowl rings, after one sexual assault allegation he was never charged or convicted of.  

Edited by Crayola64

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

because the NFL has explicitly suspended players in the past for a failure to cooperate, and having settlement agreements that explicitly forbid cooperation with the nfl would fit that.  Deflate gate and the Al Jazeera incidents are good examples of punishments specifically for lack of cooperation  

I think a settlement with all these victims is extremely unlikely and beyond wishful thinking.  And even more wishful be Watson thinking he could escape any suspension by going that route.  

the nfl is going to investigate this, Watson can’t simply prevent everyone from cooperating and think the nfl would just shrug in confusion 

this is a league that suspended Big Ben, who had two super bowl rings, after one sexual assault allegation he was never charged or convicted of.  

He was twice accused of sexual assault before suspended.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

you’re definitely right and even if Watson settles all these cases like tomorrow he could still be looking at suspension. His visibility as an elite QB actually makes it more likely that he will face some sort of league discipline, even if he somehow makes 2 dozen claims go away quickly with a settlement.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He pry should've went with Pesci.

😂 Loved that scene! Deshaun is so screwed.... The crazy thing is I’m sure Hardin and Co. are charging Deshaun millions. Draining that bank account even more. 

So at this point, Team Watson has admitted to:

- Using AT LEAST 40 different MTs (more on that)

- Shopping for MTs on IG

- Flying some in from out of state

- And now having consensual sex with some. 

Let’s dig into that last one:

- We know 24(?) different MTs claim he made unwanted advances. 

- He introduced another 20 who he didn’t make sexual advances towards (He was very professional they claim)

- Now admits to having consensual sex with yet ANOTHER pool of MTs (so not the ones he intro’d and not the ones suing)

His only contention at this time, is that he does make sexual advances towards his MTs but they all wanted it. 

The frat boy / jock excuse is pretty lame. 

I particularly love the part when his lawyer says (paraphrasing) “ He didn’t use his fame/stardom/money to influence or coerce them”.

Bro there’s No Way these ladies didn’t know who you are, and there’s no way you didn’t think who you were entitled you to do whatever it was you actually did. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Florio points out that the other aspect of a settlement is agreement to not discuss the matter with anyone else.  This is apparently standard provision of a settlement. 

Not only would that preclude talking further to police, it would preclude testifying in trial and preclude talking to NFL investigators.  Poof, legal case goes away; NFL case goes away.  They could still suspend Watson I suppose, but without testimony it would be easier to challenge and reduce.

So everything would more or less go away.

New CBA says arbitrator hears the case.  The punishment would come from that person's decision.  The appeal is still handled by Goodell alone.

If arbitrator suspends him, no chance Goodell reduces such a suspension.

54 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

His next move is probably rehab for addictions, settlements and some kind of suspension agreed upon between him and the league 

He will get that rehab during his prison time.  I believe more will come out with greater and more harmful accusations.  

Everyone knows he did something bad it’s only to what degree of badness and to how many.  

his only arguments boils down to consensual sex and his now sudden realization he has an addiction.  

lame lame lame excuses. 

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Florio points out that the other aspect of a settlement is agreement to not discuss the matter with anyone else.  This is apparently standard provision of a settlement. 

Not only would that preclude talking further to police, it would preclude testifying in trial and preclude talking to NFL investigators.  Poof, legal case goes away; NFL case goes away.  They could still suspend Watson I suppose, but without testimony it would be easier to challenge and reduce.

So everything would more or less go away.

Agreements not to cooperate with the authorities or to refuse to testify at trial or in a deposition are not legally enforceable.  Any other plaintiff could subpoena one of the women who settled with Watson and that woman would have to testify in a deposition or at trial, or be held in contempt of court and potentially go to jail.  That's why nondisclosure agreements typically have an exception for disclosure that is compelled by legal process.   

• Like (+1) 1

Am I the only one who feels the significant long-term impact of this is gonna be the Stink-Eyes experienced around the league from WAGs when their man calls up:

"Honey, I'm gonna be about an hour late, I still got some stiff muscles and I need an extra massage to work them loose"

Even the ones who don't suspect hanky-panky are gonna be like "how about you schedule that here, so I can serve as a witness, just in case?"

47 minutes ago, mannc said:

Agreements not to cooperate with the authorities or to refuse to testify at trial or in a deposition are not legally enforceable.  Any other plaintiff could subpoena one of the women who settled with Watson and that woman would have to testify in a deposition or at trial, or be held in contempt of court and potentially go to jail.  That's why nondisclosure agreements typically have an exception for disclosure that is compelled by legal process.   

Fair.  But there are a couple of things:

1) the NFL investigators are not part of a legal process and can not compel witnesses

2) I've heard that part of how these agreements are structured is a significant sum up front, but more paid later after certain conditions are met. 

Whatever the truth is, Hardy's accuser is said to have gotten paid and the fact is, she failed to show up and testify at the jury trial, rendering the legal enforcability of whatever agreement she reached a moot point.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Am I the only one who feels the significant long-term impact of this is gonna be the Stink-Eyes experienced around the league from WAGs when their man calls up:

"Honey, I'm gonna be about an hour late, I still got some stiff muscles and I need an extra massage to work them loose"

Even the ones who don't suspect hanky-panky are gonna be like "how about you schedule that here, so I can serve as a witness, just in case?"

Fair.  But there are a couple of things:

1) the NFL investigators are not part of a legal process and can not compel witnesses

2) I've heard that part of how these agreements are structured is a significant sum up front, but more paid later after certain conditions are met.

1.  I'm not sure if NFL investigators have the ability to issue legally enforceable subpoenas, but you are probably right about that.  If there was an ongoing arbitration between Watson and the league, though, the league would be able to issue subpoenas.

2.  That's true, but as I said, NDAs can't compel a party to remain silent in the face of a legally enforceable subpoena and Watson would have no right to withhold future payments because one of the women he settled with testified at a trial or in a deposition.   

3 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

So at this point, Team Watson has admitted to:

- Using AT LEAST 40 different MTs (more on that)

- Shopping for MTs on IG

- Flying some in from out of state

- And now having consensual sex with some. 

Let’s dig into that last one:

- We know 24(?) different MTs claim he made unwanted advances. 

- He introduced another 20 who he didn’t make sexual advances towards (He was very professional they claim)

- Now admits to having consensual sex with yet ANOTHER pool of MTs (so not the ones he intro’d and not the ones suing)

His only contention at this time, is that he does make sexual advances towards his MTs but they all wanted it. 

The frat boy / jock excuse is pretty lame. 

I particularly love the part when his lawyer says (paraphrasing) “ He didn’t use his fame/stardom/money to influence or coerce them”.

Bro there’s No Way these ladies didn’t know who you are, and there’s no way you didn’t think who you were entitled you to do whatever it was you actually did. 

Fair summation I think.

We look at DeShaun Watson in a game, standing next to OL and DL and T, and think he looks relatively small and slight.  But in real life, he's 6'2, 215, and ripped, and all these successful NFL athletes can project an unreal intensity at times.  They are alpha males used to imposing their will on other alpha males.  Some switch it on only during the game between the whistles, but I've met former football players who would "switch it on" to get their way over whatever.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"I did....whaaaat??!"

"boo hoo hoo".

I'm still trying to figure out if DeShaun's lawyer actually said that.

Like, seriously?

• Haha (+1) 1

Looks like longtime Texans beat reporter Aaron Wilson just got fired by the Houston Chronicle over his comments about the Watson situation...anyone know what he said?

Edited by mannc

31 minutes ago, mannc said:

Looks like longtime Texans beat reporter Aaron Wilson just got fired by the Houston Chronicle over his comments about the Watson situation...anyone know what he said?

He went on Boston radio a few weeks ago calling the whole thing a money grab.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair summation I think.

We look at DeShaun Watson in a game, standing next to OL and DL and T, and think he looks relatively small and slight.  But in real life, he's 6'2, 215, and ripped, and all these successful NFL athletes can project an unreal intensity at times.  They are alpha males used to imposing their will on other alpha males.  Some switch it on only during the game between the whistles, but I've met former football players who would "switch it on" to get their way over whatever.

I'm still trying to figure out if DeShaun's lawyer actually said that.

Like, seriously?

I just watched it. He does say it. It is toward the end during the Q&A

This is a link to the Reddit thread where i found the press conference. Yikes on that thumbnail that comes up when the link embeds 😬

48 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yep

Edited by YoloinOhio