Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it's like a lot of football players eat 5 or 6 professionally prepared dinners a week during the preseason and season.  The math on that is 100-120 meals from August until January, but they probably don't have 40 or 50 chefs preparing them; they find 1 or 2 who cook to their taste and then pay for those chefs to keep them as regular clients. 

I think that applies to how most athletes interact with massage therapists.  They may be getting 2-3 massages a week, but they're primarily going to be sports massages with trained sports massage therapists, and the athletes are going to find therapists who get to know what they need in the way of attention to different muscle groups and who do the best work for them, personally.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/09/rusty-hardin-admits-that-deshaun-watsons-massages-sometimes-resulted-in-consensual-sex/

from the above:

Hardin admitted that consensual sexual encounters sometimes occurred with massage therapists. Hardin insists, however, that he did not coerce the massage therapists or use his status as a celebrity to violate the ability of the massage therapists to provide consent.

Hardin repeatedly expressed disappointment and frustration with attorney Tony Buzbee’s efforts to try the case through the media. However, Hardin also did the exact same thing during the press conference, introducing multiple colleagues who vouched for Watson’s character and innocence based on their interactions with him since Hardin’s firm was hired more than three weeks ago.

It's worth listening to Mike Florio who (as some of us learned through this, practiced law for 14 years).  His opinion is that Watson could pivot away from fighting, make restitution, and move on.  But if he's still fighting this, it could drag on for years. (my paraphrase)

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So Rusty Hardon is very bad at this 

Well, per the ProFootballTalk article linked upthread, Hardin did pretty much accuse the first woman of just that thing, right?

Now he's broadened to all 22:

"Hardin described the entire situation as a “new model for extortion"

Entire situation would involve all 22 women.  "Extortion" would generally be interpreted as "ill motive"

If I am Watson. I am talking to all of them and offering a settlement. As long as all of them agree to the same fair amounts and the one who brought forward the criminal complaint to Houston PD agrees to back off that direction and join the group.

This is best way out. Best i can see. So a couple get paid who he was innocent with, that's the cost of his dumbassness.

37 minutes ago, cba fan said:

If I am Watson. I am talking to all of them and offering a settlement. As long as all of them agree to the same fair amounts and the one who brought forward the criminal complaint to Houston PD agrees to back off that direction and join the group.

This is best way out. Best i can see. So a couple get paid who he was innocent with, that's the cost of his dumbassness.

Florio points out that the other aspect of a settlement is agreement to not discuss the matter with anyone else.  This is apparently standard provision of a settlement. 

Not only would that preclude talking further to police, it would preclude testifying in trial and preclude talking to NFL investigators.  Poof, legal case goes away; NFL case goes away.  They could still suspend Watson I suppose, but without testimony it would be easier to challenge and reduce.

So everything would more or less go away.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Florio points out that the other aspect of a settlement is agreement to not discuss the matter with anyone else.  This is apparently standard provision of a settlement. 

Not only would that preclude talking further to police, it would preclude testifying in trial and preclude talking to NFL investigators.  Poof, legal case goes away; NFL case goes away.  They could still suspend Watson I suppose, but without testimony it would be easier to challenge and reduce.

I think any settlement the precluded them from speaking with the nfl would be an issue with the nfl

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

I think any settlement the precluded them from speaking with the nfl would be an issue with the nfl

Why?

Greg Hardy did it (that I know of).  He was actually convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend in a bench trial (largely based upon her testimony), sentenced, and suspended for 10 games.  He then appealed his conviction and requested a jury trial, something NC law allows.  While awaiting the jury trial, he apparently reached a confidential settlement with the victim, who disappeared and failed to appear to testify in the jury trial. 

The charges were dismissed, and the conviction was expunged from his record.   The 10 game suspension was reduced to 4 upon arbitration.

I'm sure others have settled.

The NFL is only partly concerned with "protecting the brand" they're also concerned with the quality of the product.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So nice to have money sometimes... Especially if you're a weirdo. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean it's like a lot of football players eat 5 or 6 professionally prepared dinners a week during the preseason and season.  The math on that is 100-120 meals from August until January, but they probably don't have 40 or 50 chefs preparing them; they find 1 or 2 who cook to their taste and then pay for those chefs to keep them as regular clients. 

I think that applies to how most athletes interact with massage therapists.  They may be getting 2-3 massages a week, but they're primarily going to be sports massages with trained sports massage therapists, and the athletes are going to find therapists who get to know what they need in the way of attention to different muscle groups and who do the best work for them, personally.

It sounds like you chew through a lot of massage therapists trying to find one thats down with ass play and hand parties.  

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?

Greg Hardy did it (that I know of).  He was actually convicted of assaulting his ex-girlfriend in a bench trial (largely based upon her testimony), sentenced, and suspended for 10 games.  He then appealed his conviction and requested a jury trial, something NC law allows.  While awaiting the jury trial, he apparently reached a confidential settlement with the victim, who disappeared and failed to appear to testify in the jury trial. 

The charges were dismissed, and the conviction was expunged from his record.   The 10 game suspension was reduced to 4 upon arbitration.

I'm sure others have settled.

The NFL is only partly concerned with "protecting the brand" they're also concerned with the quality of the product.

Perfectly said

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Watson shouldn't be surprised by court of public opinion, it's more prevalent now than ever.

And I still don't know if he did anything wrong, could have. Might not have, who knows.

Although nobody on TBD knows what really happened, it doesn’t take much thought to figure out what really happened.   If it looks like a fish smells like a fish and swims like a fish it’s a fish.  

Dude has a kink, used his celebrity and assumed “power” and did his thing with numerous MTs.  Didn’t think he’d get hammered and assumed incorrectly. 

Now it’s pay up time and he’s trying to figure out what went wrong and to get out of it.  

unless this is a setup story for the ages,  where 24 people and a prominent attorney can kept their yaps shut about a conspiracy to defraud an NFL star, the solid money is the dude is guilty of at least a large part of the allegations.  

nonetheless he is due his day in court and deserves to be heard-because court is where it’s going , both criminal and civil.  If innocent then good for him and move on.  If guilty then punishment is punishment and NFL goodbye. 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

he originally said he never touched them

Yikes.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:37 AM, BillsFan4 said:

interesting that he doesn’t deny Watson had sex with the women. Only that he didn’t force them to have sex.

Yep. I figured he had sex with a bunch of massage therapists when his lawyer said the above.

Edited by BillsFan4

14 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Although nobody on TBD knows what really happened, it doesn’t take much thought to figure out what really happened.   If it looks like a fish smells like a fish and swims like a fish it’s a fish.  

Dude has a kink, used his celebrity and assumed “power” and did his thing with numerous MTs.  Didn’t think he’d get hammered and assumed incorrectly. 

Now it’s pay up time and he’s trying to figure out what went wrong and to get out of it.  

unless this is a setup story for the ages,  where 24 people and a prominent attorney can kept their yaps shut about a conspiracy to defraud an NFL star, the solid money is the dude is guilty of at least a large part of the allegations.  

nonetheless he is due his day in court and deserves to be heard-because court is where it’s going , both criminal and civil.  If innocent then good for him and move on.  If guilty then punishment is punishment and NFL goodbye. 

I can agree, and my intention was not to defend him. Just simply we all know public opinion moved way quicker than the judicial system. 

• Agree 1