Texans' Deshaun Watson accused of indecent conduct in civil lawsuit; QB denies wrongdoing

HOUSE

This really is turning into a :censored: show. To have 6 women come out and file lawsuits? Maybe they got together and did this because they feel there is strength in numbers? Maybe they feel like it gives them a better chance at getting $$$ out of the situation? Or maybe Deshaun is not the type of guy we thought he was? I don't know if the truth will ever come out, but the Texans are screwed right now. It may not be long before he ends up on the Commissioner's Exempt List. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

This really is turning into a :censored: show. To have 6 women come out and file lawsuits? Maybe they got together and did this because they feel there is strength in numbers? Maybe they feel like it gives them a better chance at getting $$$ out of the situation? Or maybe Deshaun is not the type of guy we thought he was? I don't know if the truth will ever come out, but the Texans are screwed right now. It may not be long before he ends up on the Commissioner's Exempt List. 

You are right it’s a sheeite show.  I can see two and possibly three in a conspiracy to defraud, but more than that someone always screws it up and the truth comes out.  But six??? With the stories more bold??  Leaves me to think there is something too this at some level.   Maybe why he wanted out so badly-saw it coming.  

who knows but will be interesting to follow. 

5 hours ago, H2o said:

At a guess (because of some knowledge with how it worked for suits filed against companies I worked for), civil litigation attorneys who get one case are not above actively going out looking for other cases to add. Given the story that a player behaved inappropriately (work with me, I'm trying to sidestep the whole guilt/innocence issue) with one massage therapist, he would have his people talk to every massage therapist in the area and see what other stories are out there.

Sorta "if there's smoke there's fire" principle.

Edit: Florio mentions rules for attorneys about "solicitation" and not being "up" on what is or is not allowed, so evidently some discretion or care is needed, but he points out that the lawyer's first tweet said "here's my number if anyone else out there has a story and wants to talk to me"

I know some fine, helpful attorneys.  But for some aspects of the current legal climate, you'd have to dig a trench to slide a snake under my opinion of 'em.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, wppete said:

Good discussing...

This is a good discussion.

Some extracts:

1) I had NO idea Mike Florio had a law degree and had practiced for 16 years!

2) They both agree, no team is gonna ante up and trade Big Picks/Big Players for Deshaun Watson while this is hanging over him

3) Some really valuable, IMO, "Watch Outs" for young players!!  They both make clear that they're not giving Watson a "free pass", but Florio points out that a massage is an intrinsically intimate act, and that if you go to someone's private house or fly someone in to your hotel room and there's no professional structure (my interpretation of what they said) or witnesses around, you are opening yourself to trouble if the person you're dealing is not on the up-and-up or even just doesn't have the same interpretation of what happened that you did.  Simms tells an anecdote of having a massage therapist recommended by a teammate come to his apartment and having his wife stay with him just to make sure everything was aboveboard (and I guess to serve as a witness!)

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a good discussion.

Some extracts:

1) I had NO idea Mike Florio had a law degree and had practiced for 16 years!

2) They both agree, no team is gonna ante up and trade Big Picks/Big Players for Deshaun Watson while this is hanging over him

3) Some really valuable, IMO, "Watch Outs" for young players!!  They both make clear that they're not giving Watson a "free pass", but Florio points out that a massage is an intrinsically intimate act, and that if you go to someone's private house or fly someone in to your hotel room and there's no professional structure (my interpretation of what they said) or witnesses around, you are opening yourself to trouble if the person you're dealing is not on the up-and-up or even just doesn't have the same interpretation of what happened that you did.  Simms tells an anecdote of having a massage therapist recommended by a teammate come to his apartment and having his wife stay with him just to make sure everything was aboveboard (and I guess to serve as a witness!)

I am telling you Dave Chappelle had it right.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

BB Smiling and calls the Texans “I’ll give you a 3rd and two 4ths for Watson” (evil laughs as they accept)

In all seriousness if he assaulted them why didn’t they go to the police first and file charges? Was it because he turned over and exposed himself making them gasp!? Or did he physically touch them? 

In all seriousness, the reasons why sexual assault and rape often go unreported to law enforcement are prolly beyond the scope of football relevant discussion.  Can we just take it as written that they exist?

35 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Really? It does seem that you are more upset about lawyers soliciting clients than you are about the possibility that at least SOME of the now 9 women making these allegations are telling the truth. If I'm wrong, tell me and I will apologise.

I don't understand how are why you would feel this way.

That conclusion does not follow:

First, it doesn't follow from anything I've said

Second, it is illogical and unfounded to conclude that stuff I've said on this board ever represents the total of my feelings on any topic, and especially on the topic of sexual assault where the board's prohibition on general political discussion particularly constrains me, as a mod

If you want to know how I think on the topic, try the mundane solution: ask me.  Oooooh, too easy!

You can keep your apology.  I refrain from suggesting locations. 

• Like (+1) 2