USN declassifies Thresher Investigation (3,600 pages of files)

Hapless Bills Fan

If there are any military history buffs out there who find it interesting

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/finance/news/why-did-uss-thresher-sink-133400787.html

https://news.usni.org/2021/03/15/panel-navy-has-done-itself-a-major-favor-in-releasing-thresher-investigation

For those who don't know, Thresher was the first of a new class of nuclear attack subs and sank during a training accident in 1963.  129 souls on board were lost.

The Navy’s investigation into the sinking remained classified for decades until James Bryant, a retired U.S. submarine commander who commanded three Thresher-class submarines, sued the service in 2019 to release the files. In 2020, a judge agreed with Bryant, ordering the declassification of 3,600 pages of files. U.S. Naval Institute News has uploaded many of the files online for public viewing.

While the Navy investigation blamed the sinking on a failed seawater pipe, Bryant and other naval experts believe the declassified files show several factors all came together to create the fatal accident.

The Navy officially said improperly welded piping ruptured onboard the ship, causing a seawater leak that eventually shorted out the ship’s electrical system. Crews were unable to reach equipment to stop the flooding in time, and the ballast tanks failed to work properly.

It takes a much braver soul than myself to work and live on a submarine. I couldn’t finish an MRI. I can’t even imagine life on a submarine! 

Hopefully by bringing all the facts to light they can help make things safer.

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.