John Brown to Raiders

Even at 34 Sanders is the better wideout right now.   Smoke may be the more dangerous wideout, but Sanders is the more consistent.  He has far better hands, and more importantly he is more available.   The Bills were in a terrible position during the playoffs last year because of injury.   Love Smoke, but Sanders is an upgrade.

Clearly John Brown's release was about more than just money.

His comments after getting cut last week suggested that Buffalo never asked him to take a paycut.  And him settling for only $3.75 million guaranteed on the 3rd day of free agency pretty much confirms that.

Personally I liked Brown, and don't really see a 33-year-old Emmanuel Sanders as much of an upgrade.  Maybe there is more to his injury than fans know about.  Maybe the team wants to move away from pure speed guys, and prefers to have more physical guys.

• Like (+1) 1

The Brown of 2020 was less impactful than the 2019 Brown. Could be due to Diggs taking over as #1 but the offense in 2020 needed him less plus he was injured for several games. The O effectiveness did not drop in his absence but we do need a speedster. 

Imo, Sanders' being more available and lot of experience should help the O more than Brown would have. Guys, don't fixate on the delta dollars. We slightly over paid for Sanders but he provides more value 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Brown was very overrated here and now the market proves it. He lost some of his speed and he isn't getting any younger. He doesn't separate well in man coverage. Isn't particularly QB friendly. Sanders is a lot better.

Brown was awesome, should have kept him.  I would rather have brown than Sanders, especially a 34 year old Sanders.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Why didn’t Brown just take this offer with us.  Ugghh, unless we didn’t offer at all.  We don’t his health details, but if he would be healthy, he would’ve been a better option than Sanders.  I don’t see this as an upgrade with Sanders.  The truth will come out eventually.  If we could’ve had him for $4 mil. There has to be something.

McBeane put the fork in him.  He was clearly done. 

Josh gotta be psyched with his replacement though... 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He's toast.

Older, smallish speed guy that isn't physical. And not a great route runner. 

Bills should have utilized McKenzie more in the playoffs. He couldn't have performed worse than Brown.

Stupid comment.  Brown proved he could run all routes.  He was injured a bit last year, the year before he was toasting people and he burnt Gilmore who shut all the top WR down.

24 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Clearly John Brown's release was about more than just money.

His comments after getting cut last week suggested that Buffalo never asked him to take a paycut.  And him settling for only $3.75 million guaranteed on the 3rd day of free agency pretty much confirms that.

Personally I liked Brown, and don't really see a 33-year-old Emmanuel Sanders as much of an upgrade.  Maybe there is more to his injury than fans know about.  Maybe the team wants to move away from pure speed guys, and prefers to have more physical guys.

Well, I think the chiefs should cut hill, small and fast.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

He's an older speed guy coming off an injury plagued year...  I don't think people should be shocked.

I'd still rather have Sanders at his price tag.  Love Brown, but he isn't what we need to beat a team like KC with their press man coverage. 

I think it was a high ankle sprain too.  Those tend to reoccur too.

1 minute ago, JOSH HUFF said:

Stupid comment.  Brown proved he could run all routes.  He was injured a bit last year, the year before he was toasting people and he burnt Gilmore who shut all the top WR down.

They weren't even sending him deep anymore.  His yards before the catch dropped from 13.3 in 2018 to 8.5 last year.  His avg depth of target dropped from 16.3 to 12.4.

In the playoffs, he had a total of 2 catches vs Colts and KC.  He had 8 vs Ravens for only 62 yards.  He had become a checkdown WR for Josh by the end of the year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JOSH HUFF said:

He's always struggled with press man, and physical man coverage in general.  He had a career year here and i wish him nothing but the best, but they saved some cap space by moving on and brought in a super bowl winning WR who from what i could tell still has it.  I think if Brown was approached with taking a massive paycut to the scale he ended up getting - he would have outright refused anyway.  

Just now, Ramza86 said:

Wish him the best...also hes on one of my Dynasty leagues...hope he and Carr can hook up. lol

Gonna be tough... Waller, Ruggs, Renfrow, Jacobs.  That Edwards kid as well.  Oh and they dismantled the offensive line entirely.  But the defense still stinks, so I'm sure they will pass a lot.

Just now, dneveu said:

He's always struggled with press man, and physical man coverage in general.  He had a career year here and i wish him nothing but the best, but they saved some cap space by moving on and brought in a super bowl winning WR who from what i could tell still has it.  I think if Brown was approached with taking a massive paycut to the scale he ended up getting - he would have outright refused anyway.  

Gonna be tough... Waller, Ruggs, Renfrow, Jacobs.  That Edwards kid as well.  Oh and they dismantled the offensive line entirely.  But the defense still stinks, so I'm sure they will pass a lot.

Yeah im not hopeful....but a man can dream.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Bills cut him for performance reasons. Not money. No pay cut was offered to Brown was the report. That's why he was salty. 

Nah. No reason to think so. They cut him mostly for money reasons. Nearly nine million of them. Probably mixed in with concerns about injuries, as his injuries late in the year hurt us. "Multiple leg injuries." That didn't bode well.

His salary was large enough that they were able to replace him with the healthier Sanders and still have a bunch left over.

Edited by Thurman#1

Could be that Brown just didn't fit the need for the role the Bills want the #2 WR to perform.  If Brown is being honest that he was completely taken by surprise in being cut (Obviously he must read many posts on TBD) that says the Bills really had zero interest in bringing him back.  I wasn't a case of Brown not agreeing to a big paycut.  May have been once he was cut, he quickly found out his worth wasn't what he thought it was either.

Likely when Brown signed with the Bills 2 years  ago, the thought was he's our #1 WR in 20219 and in 2020 we'll likely draft a WR in round 1, but Brown will still be the #1 in 2020 and the 2021 role, TBD until the rookie is fully up to speed.  Once they traded for Diggs, everything changed, both Browns role and the money being paid to him, though the Sanders signing if correct, does somewhat tell us money maybe wasn't the thing.

24 minutes ago, JOSH HUFF said:

Some teams value speed more than others.  The Chiefs are certainly one of those teams.  

The Bills seem to value flexibility instead.  They want guys who can lineup outside or in the slot, run a slant or a go route, and can block well in the run game.  Brown obviously had the deep speed, and could run nice comeback/timing routes.  But he wasn't physical and didn't offer as much in the middle of the field.  

I also question how much of an upgrade (if any) we get from Emmanuel Sanders.  But maybe the Bills just see him as a better scheme fit for what they are trying to do?

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nah. They cut him mostly for money reasons. Nearly nine million of them. Probably mixed in with concerns about injuries, as his injuries late in the year hurt us. "Multiple leg injuries." That didn't bode well.

His salary was large enough that they were able to replace him with the healthier Sanders and still have a bunch left over.

Not really.  Between the contract they gave Emmanuel Sanders ($6.5) and the dead money leftover from Brown ($1.6), they maybe saved $1 million.

If Brown was playing hardball for money and didn't want a paycut, he wouldn't have settled for such a small offer from the Raiders.

The Bills clearly had no interest in bringing him back.

• Disagree 1