Trent Williams re-signs with SF (6 year $138 mil / $55mil guar / $30 mil SB )

• Tsaikotic changed the title to Trent Williams re-signs with SF (6 year $138 mil / $55mil guar / $30 mil SB )
4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wasn't he considering retirement? That sort of money might sway my considerations too....

Not really. He was involved in a dispute over injury with the WFT who basically were implying he was faking the injury. He threatened retirement trying to get them to trade or release him. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Not really. He was involved in a dispute over injury with the WFT who basically were implying he was faking the injury. He threatened retirement trying to get them to trade or release him. 

No I think he was reportedly pondering it this offseason too. May have been a tactic to get the 49ers to up their offer.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great player....but wow.  He’ll be 33 before the season starts.  55M gtd...look like it could be a 3 year contract paying him 23M a year if SF chooses 

I expect it is a 3 year deal with two dummy years to spread a big signing bonus out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I expect it is a 3 year deal with two dummy years to spread a big signing bonus out.

You are almost certainly correct but will they regret signing a 33 year old for 3 years? It seems like a huge investment in an older guy.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You are almost certainly correct but will they regret signing a 33 year old for 3 years? It seems like a huge investment in an older guy.

Offensive linemen can usually play a little longer. It's not like he's a skill position guy who is old at 30.

• Like (+1) 1