Lee smith traded to ATL

As someone who is beloved by his teammates, and a good teammate himself, Lee has always gotten a lot of grief that isnt warranted by fans. If he was as bad as everyone says he wouldn't have gotten as much playing time as he did or have a job in the NFL for 10 years.

He and his family live in Knoxville, tn and has kids in school. I dont know him personally (friend of friends of mine), but perhaps part of his retirement is wanting to be closer to his home and family. Atlanta is a 1 hr flight from Knoxville on any standard flight. 3 hours to drive. Just a little more then Nashville is from Knoxville.

Between this and John Brown being released (I went to college with him) all of my personal connections to players on the team are now gone. 😕

I dont think I have or will have any other connections in the future to the the Bills or NFL in general. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, letsgoteam said:

As someone who is beloved by his teammates, and a good teammate himself, Lee has always gotten a lot of grief that isnt warranted by fans. If he was as bad as everyone says he wouldn't have gotten as much playing time as he did or have a job in the NFL for 10 years.

He and his family live in Knoxville, tn and has kids in school. I dont know him personally (friend of friends of mine), but perhaps part of his retirement is wanting to be closer to his home and family. Atlanta is a 1 hr flight from Knoxville on any standard flight. 3 hours to drive. Just a little more then Nashville is from Knoxville.

Between this and John Brown being released (I went to college with him) all of my personal connections to players on the team are now gone. 😕

I dont think I have or will have any other connections in the future to the the Bills or NFL in general. 

Cool, now you are like the rest of us now 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Cool, now you are like the rest of us now 😆

LOL

However, if Harrison Smith ever becomes a Bill, its back on like Donkey Kong. (Back to the friend of friend thing). Which I'm sure no one cares, but if anyone is still reading this Harrison and Lee do a football camp together in Knoxville each summer. They played AAU basketball with each other growing up, both from Knoxville.

Edited by letsgoteam
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, letsgoteam said:

LOL

However, if Harrison Smith ever becomes a Bill, its back on like Donkey Kong. (Back to the friend of friend thing). Which I'm sure no one cares, but if anyone is still reading this Harrison and Lee do a football camp together in Knoxville each summer. They played AAU basketball with each other growing up, both from Knoxville.

Lee Smith was a good dude 👌  Great locker room guy.  Hell of a blocker.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Is this real? A team just gave up something for lee smith?

Lee Smith is one of those guys coaches want on their team.  A late round 2022 pick is not worth much at all, so giving up only a little to be sure you get him is something meaningful for a coach who likes him.

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane being smart.   

Quite incredible to create serious cap room and get a pick.   Just solid roster management.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

A blocking TE who was either going to retire or be cut just got traded for a pick.... I don’t get it. 

Have to believe he did decide not to retire.

Advantage of a team trading for him, gives them exclusive rights, not bidding against 30 other teams. 

And I'm certain if Smith had been released, the bidding would have been insane for him.  Would have made Hunters deal look like peanuts!

10 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

The dude can block. Underrated ability among fans I guess. 

I was always baffled by having a blocking TE that can only catch wide open passes on the roster. Just put a backup OT out there and declare him eligible. Why waste a roster spot?

Edited by vincec

13 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

In the very few games we ran well in late in the season, the Bills had Smith on the field a lot. Unappreciated role much like the nose tackle. 

He is underappreciated.

Pretty sure they won't have traded for him without either making sure he's not retiring or arranging the trade conditionally. Or both. 

Not a huge deal by any means, but a nice move to save money.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, vincec said:

I was always baffled by having a the blocking TE that can only catch wide open passes on the roster. Just put a backup OT out there and declare him eligible. Why waste a roster spot?

Because a back up tackle does not know route running and has no hands.  Smith could do both.  He did his job well.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Because a back up tackle does not know route running and has no hands.  Smith could do both.  He did his job well.

What route running? The guy had 6 targets all year. They never throw to him except maybe down by the goal line. NFL tackles are more than athletic enough to do what he did in the passing game down by the goal line.